Plex Media Server Client in XBMC - Have XBMC support for Plex PMS protocol plex:// ?
if you have pms up and running, all you have to do is look at http://localhost.local:32400/

It supplies truncated links that you add to this base url. Easily scrapable with python if anyone would want to give it a whirl.
now that xbmc runs on the new atv, i want pms support more than ever. id love to have atvs discretely hidden behind all my tvs, but not at the price of organizing and maintaining several differen libraries.
davilla Wrote:I would veto any such addition to XBMC core code or official XBMC addons repo. Such closed source projects that have used open source to try to leverage their market share should not be supported by an open source project such as XBMC.

If someone wants to pursue this as an unofficial addon, then they are welcome to do so.
I wish you would reconsider. Im guessing there are alot of users like myself, who prefers xbmc`s look and feel over plex. It appears alot more polished. But your library system with the sql lite just seems dated. While its nice to have xbmc on your phone and pad, maintaining separate libraries for them really isnt.

In my house we have 3 minis, one apple tv2, two ipads and two iphones. they all connect to an imac hosting the library (files on a windows fileserver) using pms. It allows me to have one machine hosting and maintaining the library instead of 8.

Instead of creating your own SQL system, why not just add support for this. Plex allows non commercial software to connect to PMS freely. PMS will go multiplatform soon.

I love what youve done for xbmc on both the osx and the ios platform, I just wish there was an easier way to actually use it without setteling for "file mode".
read what he wrote. if the plex guys starts respecting the gpl (or more likely the lgpl), we may just reconsider. until then they are dicks who steal from the community. we don't deal with such people.
Plex is probably not a way as they are trying hard to differentiate from Xbmc and what seams achievable today, could just easily change in the future.

Nevertheless, Xbmc has ability to export library. Could this be fed form desktop to iOS by some kind of deamon? XML part at least?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

spiff Wrote:read what he wrote. if the plex guys starts respecting the gpl (or more likely the lgpl), we may just reconsider. until then they are dicks who steal from the community. we don't deal with such people.

i did read it. why would you let your personal anger with their dev team affect how you treat your own client? adding another media source for XBMC will benefit XBMC and its users more than it will Plex, I would imagine.
Oh, believe you me.. you are not Spiff's client Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Again, it's just not something we're interested in doing. If YOU want to do it, go right ahead. Start with some simple python tutorials on the web to get the hang of how python works. Build up your knowledge and then start looking at how to parse XML and write it into an XBMC addon. As always, we're happy to help out with any issues you face on that front.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

sho Wrote:Oh, believe you me.. you are not Spiff's client Wink

hahaha, didnt see that interpretation coming. anyways, not gonna nag anymore. great work on the ios versions!
I am writing a Plex export app that will output XBMC nfo's so that all you should have to do is run the app as an "update library for XBMC" methodology. Then when you add your shares to XBMC, it should see all of your metadata from your PMS.
For those interested, I added a new proof-of-concept plugin to my repo which will allow you to play your iTunes Library via Plex Media Server. Although Plex Media Server is for Mac OSX only, the plugin should work on any operating system (tested on Win 7 and OSX 10.6)

You can find my repo here. You need to add the proper IP address to the addon's settings; it defaults to 127.0.0.1. Feel free to post bug reports in that thread. I don't intend on extending the functionality much, but others are free to grab the source and hack away.
All people want is something similar to PMS but for XBMC.

Either it XBMC connects to PMS or offer its own implementation seams to be functionally irrelevant.

The question is, is XBMC Team features similar to PMS are of interest to any XBMC developer considering the multiple options now people have to use it? I mean, having several stand alone XBMC installs that don't share catalogues and communicate with each other seams to be a dead end in a networked environment. It does not matter if I can install XBMC with any device I have at home, if I can't share, manage media catalogues and playback. For instance, why would I install it on iPad or iPhone if not to show off. I might as well use Air Video.

As far as I'm concerned it would be extremely nice. I've switched to XBMC because it as a stand alone system is just faster! Also with plugins it integrates better with iPhoto and iTunes (with exception of DRM). The only thing missing is something like Alexandria Project. Furthermore, I don't like much the attitude of the Plex Team, either. They don't recognize problems until the XBMC teams fixes them Wink

Cheers,

Nuno
We are interested in an XBMC solution that supports open source code, not a solution involving the closed source Plex Media Server.
A PleXBMC add-on is coming to connect to PMS from within XBMC.
maruchan Wrote:For those interested, I added a new proof-of-concept plugin to my repo which will allow you to play your iTunes Library via Plex Media Server. Although Plex Media Server is for Mac OSX only, the plugin should work on any operating system (tested on Win 7 and OSX 10.6)

You can find my repo here. You need to add the proper IP address to the addon's settings; it defaults to 127.0.0.1. Feel free to post bug reports in that thread. I don't intend on extending the functionality much, but others are free to grab the source and hack away.

Thanks for your link - just to let you know that I've taken the iTunes streamer and hacked together a quick PMS movie plugin for XBMC.

It's posted over on thw Plex forums, but thought i'd better pop it here too..

I'm not a python coder, so this actually took me a few hours to do and is dirty, but the concept is very straight forward and a lot of this could be re-written to be much clearer. No metadata is shown, but this is probably a simply task of making it available to XBMC. Not sure I'll be doing any more work on it, but might do especially if I can get some help (might be slow work though)..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4879616/xbmc2pms-v0.2.zip

Update: Just cleaned it up and packaged it so that it will install as an addon in XBMC. Just download and use "Install from Zip file". Point it to the xbmc2pms.zip and it should show up under video addons..

Update 2: Just altered the addon to work with TV shows. Again no metadata (apart from thumbs)... Download link updated

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plex Media Server Client in XBMC - Have XBMC support for Plex PMS protocol plex:// ?0