n00bish question about why my MP4s won't play under XBMC
I love XBMC. I mean, really love it. Thank you to all of you who are creating it. I'm currently using the Atlantis Beta.

However, I am having a wee problem that I'm hoping you expert guys might be able to advise me on.

I just spent about 20 hours ripping episodes off DVDs into individual MP4 files. The resultant files play fine under Windows Media Player. But when I try to play those mp4s via XBMC, the audio is scrambled. (The video looks fine. But the audio is a one second infinite loop.)

Now, I know from searching these forums that XBMC uses inbuilt codecs. So I'm guessing what I have is an incompatibility between the MP4 codec that I used to rip the files into MP4, and XBMC's internal MP4 codecs...(?)

Anyway, what should I do? Is there a way to get XBMC to play these files? Or, if I have to rip them again, what can I do to ensure the right compatible codec is used?

Thanks very much for any assistance you can give me.
MP4 is just a container. What video and audio codec did you use? XBMC uses ffmpeg for playback and until now I didn't had a problem with trailers in MP4 (unsure which codecs they useRofl).
Also a debug log may help us (link it via pastebin)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks. Unfortunately, the program I used to do the ripping (Magix Movie Edit Pro) didn't specify which particular codecs it used to create the MP4s.

However, now that I know XBMC uses ffmpeg, I know I can use Super (which enables me to specify ffmpeg) to convert the Vobs from the DVD to a compatible file.

Thanks again.
Question 
I'm having same issue. Using GSpot for codec info it seems my .mp4 files are encoded with mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC for audio and mp4v for video. Files play in both Quicktime and Windows Media Player.

What do I need to do?
Hotkey Wrote:I'm having same issue. Using GSpot for codec info it seems my .mp4 files are encoded with mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC for audio and mp4v for video. Files play in both Quicktime and Windows Media Player.

What do I need to do?

Still looking for a solution if you can help.
Hotkey Wrote:Still looking for a solution if you can help.

Try not using AAC for audio. It's just requires more cpu to decode then mp3 or ac3
cold_realms Wrote:Try not using AAC for audio. It's just requires more cpu to decode then mp3 or ac3

Do I need to re-encode them then? If so, what tool will do that?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
n00bish question about why my MP4s won't play under XBMC0