[ATV] Navigation with ATV remote control
Firstly, Thank you for all the hard work putting XBMC together, from what I've seen so far it looks awesome Big Grin

I just did an update to 2.2 on my appleTVand use the windows patchstick found here to install XBMC/Boxee:

http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/

I took XBMC for a quick spin this morning and started to play a video. I am struggling with the basic navigation of the application using the remote control. I have taken a look through the forums and online manuals but haven't found a guide that will help me stop the video and get back to the main XBMC page. Can someone point me in the right direction? The remote control is definitely working but different attempts have so far not yielded any success...

If I'm being a real dope I apologize ahead of time...

Thanks,

Saracen
Saracen Wrote:Firstly, Thank you for all the hard work putting XBMC together, from what I've seen so far it looks awesome Big Grin

I just did an update to 2.2 on my appleTVand use the windows patchstick found here to install XBMC/Boxee:

http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/

I took XBMC for a quick spin this morning and started to play a video. I am struggling with the basic navigation of the application using the remote control. I have taken a look through the forums and online manuals but haven't found a guide that will help me stop the video and get back to the main XBMC page. Can someone point me in the right direction? The remote control is definitely working but different attempts have so far not yielded any success...

tap the menu button when playing a video, the OSD pops up, square box is stop.

and setting -> appearence -> screen -> resolution, pick the one the has "FullScreen" in the name, if you are not running in fullscreen.
Thanks, I will take a look this evening. I feel like I would have seen this as I did see some OSD's while playing around but it was rather early in the morning!

I'll look at Full Screen option also, from my first tests this morning I could see the File and XBMC menu but realized that this could be fixed through settings.
I did some more testing, the issue relates to stopping a video when it is in a thumbnail type view. If the application is running full screen a single click on the play button will launch a control menu that allows the video to be stopped but if you navigate away from the full screen (perhaps by using the menu key) then there is no clear way to stop the video, it is also not clear how to get back to the full screen mode.

I'm not familar with all the terms so I hope this makes sense and someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Saracen
Saracen Wrote:I did some more testing, the issue relates to stopping a video when it is in a thumbnail type view. If the application is running full screen a single click on the play button will launch a control menu that allows the video to be stopped but if you navigate away from the full screen (perhaps by using the menu key) then there is no clear way to stop the video, it is also not clear how to get back to the full screen mode.

I'm not familar with all the terms so I hope this makes sense and someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Saracen

IIRC, holding the play button brings you back to fullscreen-video, where you can stop the video.
If you want to change the mapping check this page http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml
On you ATV Keymap.xml should be located at /Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/Keymap.xml.

HTH

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Saracen Wrote:I did some more testing, the issue relates to stopping a video when it is in a thumbnail type view. If the application is running full screen a single click on the play button will launch a control menu that allows the video to be stopped but if you navigate away from the full screen (perhaps by using the menu key) then there is no clear way to stop the video, it is also not clear how to get back to the full screen mode.

Thanks,

Saracen

I know what you mean, you will need some time to get used to the interface. The problem is that the ATV remote does not have lot of buttons, so everything is mapped in a way that works but some things are not so obvious.

First thing, forget how the remote works in the normal ATV interface. You have to re train yourself.

When you are watching a video and you want to stop it, do not press Menu. Press PLAY (I know, it sounds weird), then browse the OSD with left and right and go to the stop icon and press PLAY again. Pres Menu to get rid of the OSD. If you are playing a video and you press Menu, the video will continue playing and you can browse the menus (the problem is the ATV does not have enough power for both things and the video will stutter and the interface will be slow). If you want to go back to the video again then press and hold PLAY.

After a while you will get used to the "weird" thing and it will be more natural.
Thanks, I'll play around with that.

I just looked for the keymap.xml file and didn't see it in the location you provided, I then tried a search:

sudo find / -name "keymap.xml" -print

and don't see it anywhere. Do I just need to create it?

I also see a file called sources.xml in the location you provided, it looks like it specifies the source for media files, is it OK to edit this rather than going through the menus in XBMC to add/remove media?

Krieg, Thanks for the tips, it's really helpful to get some insight. It's a shame we can't extend the ATV remote so that we have more key combinations, like single, double, tripple clicks etc.

Thanks for your help.

Saracen
Saracen Wrote:Thanks, I'll play around with that.

I just looked for the keymap.xml file and didn't see it in the location you provided, I then tried a search:

sudo find / -name "keymap.xml" -print
this is case sensitive, so

Code:
find / -iname "keymap.xml"
or
Code:
find / -name "Keymap.xml"

should give:
/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system/Keymap.xml

Saracen Wrote:and don't see it anywhere. Do I just need to create it?

Quoting from the wiki:
Quote:To alter the default keymapping simply add a keymap.xml file in the Userdata folder with the changes you wish to make.
So yes, you can just create a new one there and only modify what you want.

Saracen Wrote:I also see a file called sources.xml in the location you provided, it looks like it specifies the source for media files, is it OK to edit this rather than going through the menus in XBMC to add/remove media?
yep.

Saracen Wrote:Krieg, Thanks for the tips, it's really helpful to get some insight. It's a shame we can't extend the ATV remote so that we have more key combinations, like single, double, tripple clicks etc.

Thanks for your help.

Saracen

See this thread for the intial discussion and a testing version of Launcher on howto use a universal remote control with your ATV.
HTH

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
Awesome, Thanks.

I opted to use the -iname and found the file, it's a lot easier to edit an existing file than start a new one, plus I have vi on my ATV so I can hack it directly on the box Big Grin

I'll play with the sources.xml file later, that's great news as I'd like to streamline what I see (and hence keep it simple for the boss (=wife!)).

Thanks for the link to the thread, will check it out when I have a minute.

I am totally geeked with this project so once again thank you for the work. The fact that I can script with python and change settings with xml is wonderful Big Grin
Saracen Wrote:Awesome, Thanks.

I opted to use the -iname and found the file, it's a lot easier to edit an existing file than start a new one, plus I have vi on my ATV so I can hack it directly on the box Big Grin
agreed. You still might copy it to your userdata folder (/Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/Keymap.xml) so future updates won't delete it. /Application/XBMC.app (and so your modified Keymap.xml) will be wiped on an update.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV] Navigation with ATV remote control0