Internal IR receiver for HTPC that can Power ON/OFF computer hard like button press?
waldo22 Wrote:This is what you want:

http://www.xir.us/order.aspx?f=beta

$20.

You want the V2 Beta Pro kit.

works with any ATX board that can provide 3.3V or 5V standby power (which is basically all of them).

You just wire the red and blue wire in-line with your standard ATX power header by clamping it onto the wires, and you're off to the races.

-Wes
Hu ... Isn't this a receiver for the Xbox ?Rofl
Yes it is, in fact Smile

But the way it works in the xbox is the same way it works in a regular ATX PC.

So, it has an internal relay that "bridges" the connection between the Red and Blue wires.

(this is known as "momentary contact-closure")

All you need to do is use "vampire taps" to tap in to the connector that goes to your ATX power-on header on your HTPC Motherboard and it will work fine.

I'm using two of them with my home-built XBMC PCs.

The "Pro" version of the Xir is better set up for use with a PC, where as the "easy" version is plug and play for an Xbox.

Also, the "Beta" version 2 allows "learning", so it will work with any remote.

I use an xbox DVD remote kit with both of my Windows XP XBMC machines, following the instructions I wrote here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=352393

So my Yamaha receiver remote, programmed to control an RCA DVD player, can turn my XBMC HTPC on and off.

Cool

-Wes
Question 
Does anyone know of a way I can power on a pc with my mce remote with my htpc? I am using IR server suite right now. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
you mean power another pc? you could use a magic packet, you have to enable the option in bios. there would be programs that send magic packets on the web.
Just simply turn on my htpc with the mce remote.
you likely can't.. most people will just use standby and then resume by hitting the power button on the mce remote. my system often resumes in under 10s (far quicker than my boot time) and xbmc is loaded up to the exact spot i was last.

no more waiting to boot.. just standby/resume & you're ready to go
some mobos will allow you to wake the computer from hibernation (which is s4 sleep, which is practically the same as being 'off') through a USB port.

This is the approach that I use for my HTPC since I wasn't all that comfortable leaving it in Standby all the time, even though there is nothing wrong with that.

You should look in your motherboard's BIOS settings about waking from S3 (regular standby) or S4 (hibernation) sleep.
You can also use the Xir solution I posted above. It's a "learning" receiver, so it will work with your MCE remote button of choice.

-Wes
iratasan Wrote:[UPDATE] Several threads have been merged into this since this is operating-system independent and applies to both Linux and Windows.

I am thinking about building a HTPC case dedicated for XBMC Media Center.

What hardware mod/mods do I need to power-up the PC via a remote?

This built-in internal IR w/MCE remote do exactly what you want.
http://www.hd-plex.com/remote.control.html
It perform hard power off and power on function via the forced shutdown function. It is also preconfigured as MCE remote with customization software, using Windows native driver.
You could find details in the installation section.
(2011-01-05, 07:48)lymwuwu Wrote:
iratasan Wrote:[UPDATE] Several threads have been merged into this since this is operating-system independent and applies to both Linux and Windows.

I am thinking about building a HTPC case dedicated for XBMC Media Center.

What hardware mod/mods do I need to power-up the PC via a remote?

This built-in internal IR w/MCE remote do exactly what you want.
http://www.hd-plex.com/remote.control.html
It perform hard power off and power on function via the forced shutdown function. It is also preconfigured as MCE remote with customization software, using Windows native driver.
You could find details in the installation section.

I was so glad when I saw this internal IR receiver. Unfortunately it is unkown when this product will be sold.
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on
I bought one of these just a few weeks ago, they have been selling for quite some time.. just run out of stock every so often

If you request the power pcb to do shut down/wake up via remote they will send no problems, the wiring for the pcb isn't as straight forward
(2012-09-18, 21:59)Eldorado Wrote: I bought one of these just a few weeks ago, they have been selling for quite some time.. just run out of stock every so often

If you request the power pcb to do shut down/wake up via remote they will send no problems, the wiring for the pcb isn't as straight forward

Eldorado, how much did HD Plex charge you for the Power Switch PCB?
Can xir pro also be used to do both. Reset and power on? Does someone has schematics for them?
Can those combination be used for reset switch on ATX board?
'0', '0', '0' (0 three times) - Turn off xbox
'5', '5', '5' - Eject/Close Dvd Tray

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Internal IR receiver for HTPC that can Power ON/OFF computer hard like button press?2