[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Video Post-Processing Filter support in XBMC's DVDPlayer
Lightbulb 
Hi world,

one thing that could really great is to allow user to apply custom pixel-shader operation for movie playback.

I've wrote some great ones for MPC-HC (DirectX windows player) and this feature was really powerfull ...

Does the DVDplayer (Linux/Live) use Open-GL for rendering ?
... does some devs know about GLSL ? Nerd

The first step is to allow shader to use the curent frame (spacial denoiser, sharpen, gamma correction, gamut conversion, 3*LCD convergence setup ... etc...)

The second step if to allow shader to use curent, last and previous frame as texture source ... this allow all 3D convolution effect ... and more ... Nerd

Wink

Does some devs thing this is great ? Wink
We use shaders to do some processing, mainly scaling (bicubic, lanczos etc).
These scalers are in GLSL in the OpenGL version.

The shaders are in xbmc/system/shaders so you can tweak one of them to try it out. Although its probably better to add one shader to the rendering in code instead. Check out xbmc/cores/VideoRenderer/ and on opengl LinuxRenderer.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Hi I am new to the forum but I have been searching for any help with scaling. your question is very similar to mine I just wondered if you had any luck at getting better processing. I was using an old xbox prior to the move to windows and it just seems the quality was much better with the xbox. Any help would be appreciated
I will be short.

Do u gays thinking about implement support for video shaders for picture quality improvement?
Like mpc-hc and similar players have.
I did some tests and research and I think it would be great image enhancement. There is no doubt.

Image sPlayer

And here si AVforum thread with some pictures and comparation of improvements.

Cheers
XBMC uses shaders for video presentation. both for YUV -> RGB transformation and scaling of the image.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:XBMC uses shaders for video presentation. both for YUV -> RGB transformation and scaling of the image.

When I asked for shader implementation I meant about implementation in a way how mpc-hc use it. U can select witch shaders u want to use and combine many of them i real time. U have 17 shaders. Some of them r just special effects like emboss, spotlight, invert, contour, nightvision, wave, grayscale, and sphere. Others are more useful for video post-processing and u get great improvement of picture. They r sharpen complex, sharpen and edge sharpen, 16-235 –> 0-255, deinterlace (blend), procamp etc. And when I make comparation of same movie and same frame between XBMC video picture and mpc-hc + shaders video picture, mpc-hc make much better and richer picture.

Here r some samples:

You can activate sharpening in the Ati CCC settings. As for 16-235 -> 0-255, you shouldn`t need that, again, in the CCC settings, there is a dynamic level adjustment, set it to 0-255. De-noise ruins PQ by eliminating details during the noise elimination process, like any other de-noise filters (again, you have them in the CCC settings). And sharpen-complex 2 oversharpens the image.
Hi, there is a way to use a sharpening filter during playback? Or maybe is it possible to use the unsharp filters of mplayer? (-vf unsharp=l3x3:1.5:c3x3:1.0)
Rainbow 
protomucca Wrote:Hi, there is a way to use a sharpening filter during playback? Or maybe is it possible to use the unsharp filters of mplayer? (-vf unsharp=l3x3:1.5:c3x3:1.0)

I want to apologize for posting on an old thread. But right now unsharp masking would be really easy to implement. I integrated avfilter into current git, now it is possible to create a chain of filters to use on a video source. "elupus" already made considerable changes to original code, he implemented use of the yadif filter. I already tested the use of unsharp mask filter and it did work but I saw that a good upscaling filter like Lanczos sharpens the image and produces a better result than this filter.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Video Post-Processing Filter support in XBMC's DVDPlayer0