My x86_64 build
Smile 
Hi all. Thought you'd be interested in this.

I recently got set up with GNU/Linux for various reasons. Anyway, despite a few concerns, I decided to have a go at building XBMC. I'd played with it in Windows a few times before, and liked it.

The test bench is a laptop running Debian "Sid" x86_64. It's using the NVIDIA driver from their site, ALSA for sound, KDM+VTWM for display and a few KDE apps.

So, after reading the build instructions, I installed any dependencies. I was missing one, libsdl-stretch-dev, but it didn't seem to matter. I still had to install one or two little things that were missing, and overwrite the libgl1-mesa-dev with the libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev so it would ./configure. I put that back a second ago.

Anyway, after
./configure
make
sudo make install
and then about 1GB worth of text spam, it's spawned a working xbmc binary, and it seems to work well! I tested it on a DVD, ASS subitled anime, some weird vid using a nasty WMA codec that mplayer hated and various other formats. All worked fine.

And it's pretty too. A little jerky here and there, but meh. That's trivial.

To put it shortly, I'm pretty "wowed". Smile I might put a screenshot up later.
Due to none of our devs having an x86_64 environment, it'll probably crash a lot Smile
Well, after a bit more testing, it's still been pretty solid. It crashed once when I asked it to play one of my 1GB+ movies (H.264+AAC), and it's pretty slow at playing them in any case. It has trouble seeking through some videos and it also dislikes a few pictures, showing them as black.

I doubt any of those are actually x86_64 specific issues though. It's not looking too bad on that architecture. Smile
I got a running x86_64 on Gentoo and it's stable as hell. There are some small glitches like a faulty high quality scaling, a broken python and a non working last.fm, but the rest works fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My x86_64 build1