What to look for when dropping frames? Dianostic tool?
I guess it's the cpu speed. But what I've been reading you need a speed of 3 GHz. I have overclocked mine to 3,055 GHz and are still loosing alot of frames in 1080p. In the killabird sample it just droppes an innsain amount.

I'm sure the debug file would tell someone who knows what they are looking for allot. But is there a tool that can help analyze?

Or is this just a matter of CPU speed?

PS! I know there is allot of topics around hardware, and belive me I've read many many of them......
XBMC Live 9.11
Intel core duo 2,E7400 2.80GHz
P5N7A-VM
1 GB DDR2 667MHz
Yes its the cpu

So far nobody (that i know of) has got the killa sample to play smooth without dropped frames on linux with a amd cpu. It plays ok on the windows port when clocked around 3.3ghz (with a x2 5600).

I've moved on from amd and now have a intel E8400. The killa sample plays smooth without dropping a frame on linux @3ghz.

Also when testing the amd 5600 (in linux), i noticed more dropped frames using an ati card, compared to nvidia. Drivers?

I pretty much got so pissed off playing with settings, trying to squeze someething extra out of it, i just gave up and went the intel route. I havent looked back since. I reckon if you can clock around 3.3ghz stable then you should be able to play most hi-bitrate 1080p scene releases, but there are a few killers out there that wont stand a chance. Forget about the killa sample with amd, i dont think its possible right now, maybe in the future.

If anyone has got the killa sample to play smooth in linux using amd please let us know.

cheers.
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
3GHZ on an INTEL CPU yes, Intel is faster clock for clock so it's not simply a comparison of simple clock speed. go back and look and I think you'll find this stated...

Oh and I too would LOVE to know what it takes in the way of an AMD CPU to play that sample smoothly Sad
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Ok.so if we look past the killabird sample, what is possible? What other more realistic sample could I use to determine enough cpu speed?

I'm really not interested in being able to play the heavy nature 1080p, but regular movies. Is there reference that anyone can recomand?
XBMC Live 9.11
P5N7A-VM
1 GB DDR2 667MHz
I've not seen any other clips posted that are quite so universal. I can tel you that when I had dropped frames in Killa I ALSO had them in movies like King Kong when there were fast pans in the jungle or during some fights. After noticing that I used Killa as my benchmark and slowly upped my speed until the dropped frames ceased - at about 3ghz. My encoding of these movies, which I rip, tends to be a bit overboard honestly so try for yourself on something you encode. I may be switching up my encoding since the new NVIDIA drivers want specific profiles just so I can see how they look and if good (and maybe smaller!) I'll have something that will support the GPU decoding down the line maybe.

So, no good answer except to say try a few things. Encode some scenes in H.264 of various bitrate and complexity until you find the right balance. If on the other hand you're going to be downloading it could be a crapshoot as you won't usualyl know what options the encoder checked off. If someone else can find something intensive I'm all ears but honestly dumbing down a benchmark so that AMD CPUs can decode it seems a little silly, we KNOW if we can play that Killa sample smoothly we can play damn near anything! Yes I know that's not exactly what you're intending but that's what the effect may be. <shrug>
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I do agree with you that we should not drop down on a benchmark test. On the other hand allot of people are saying that the killabird sample is overkill, cause the bitrate is way higher than almost any other movie out there.

But I will try to find a reference movie for my testing. Since the hardware I'm having is what I have to work on I need to find a solution.

What I'm hoping for is to find the right speed (don't want to much because of the heat issue and instability), and then sell the system, and buy a intel based motherboard and work from there Smile

Thanks for taking the time and answering guys!
XBMC Live 9.11
P5N7A-VM
1 GB DDR2 667MHz
Question is there a place where I can download the killabird sample?
and is it not a good idea that xbmc makes a own sample so it can be placed on the website? so everyone can test with the same file
http://tracker.hatters.org.uk/torrents/
XBMC Live 9.11
P5N7A-VM
1 GB DDR2 667MHz
Musta78 Wrote:I do agree with you that we should not drop down on a benchmark test. On the other hand allot of people are saying that the killabird sample is overkill, cause the bitrate is way higher than almost any other movie out there.

But I will try to find a reference movie for my testing. Since the hardware I'm having is what I have to work on I need to find a solution.

What I'm hoping for is to find the right speed (don't want to much because of the heat issue and instability), and then sell the system, and buy a intel based motherboard and work from there Smile

Thanks for taking the time and answering guys!

Okay, I'm confused... you want to find the "right speed" using this system and then switch processor architectures? See part of the problem is we KNOW the speed for Intel just not AMD - at least with the sample we've been discussing. On an Intel C2D it's 3GHZ, via an overclocked smlower CPU or via an E8400. My CPU is overclocked to that and an older 65nm process to boot - and works GREAT!

BTW am about to do my first BD using the recommended profile...
Nvidia 8500/8600 and later models have some PureVideoHD acceleration. So Im guessing PC's with this card can decode video even if processor is not that strong... Maybe I'm wrong... there is an article on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PureVideo
BLKMGK Wrote:Okay, I'm confused... you want to find the "right speed" using this system and then switch processor architectures? See part of the problem is we KNOW the speed for Intel just not AMD - at least with the sample we've been discussing. On an Intel C2D it's 3GHZ, via an overclocked smlower CPU or via an E8400. My CPU is overclocked to that and an older 65nm process to boot - and works GREAT!

BTW am about to do my first BD using the recommended profile...

Ok, I can see it was a bit messy. But skip the part of intel cpu, that was my next planSmile
XBMC Live 9.11
P5N7A-VM
1 GB DDR2 667MHz
I get lots of dropped frames when playing a simple XviD or DVD. From the same mode that shows dropped frames you see the CPU usage. It's ca 10% on both CPUs.

I have a 2,6GHz P4 with a Nvidia FX 5200 173.14.12. Ubuntu 8.04 + XBMC Atlantis.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What to look for when dropping frames? Dianostic tool?0