• 6(current)
Movie Info Plus - Manage Icons, Posters, FanArt, .NFO's & more for Movies & TV Shows
fekker Wrote:If anyone has some ideas on how it TV Shows should look, feel free to do mockup's in image format with a description of what feature does what.

One thing that would be helpful is that when I add TV episodes, I'd like to see a list of not only the episodes I added, but also the episodes that are missing. Perhaps show the missing episodes in a red font?
Question 
Would it be possible to port this, the Movie Info Plus application, to use Mono so that it can run nativly under Linux and Mac OS X as well?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software)
http://www.mono-project.com

FYI; Mono's Common Language Runtime supports C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, and other .NET programing languages. Mono can be run on Linux, BSD, UNIX, Mac OS X, Solaris and Windows operating systems.

Good idea? Huh

If so then make sure to checkout The Mono Migration Analyzer (MoMA), "Your fast track to Linux", a tool helps you identify issues you may have when porting your .Net application to Mono. It helps pinpoint platform specific calls (P/Invoke) and areas that are not yet supported by the Mono project.
http://www.mono-project.com/MoMA

Also checkout the MonoDevelop IDE Wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MonoDevelop
http://monodevelop.com

Another semi-related idea would be to switch to using Qt toolkit or the GTK toolkit (with the GTK# .NET bindings, as MonoDevelop supports this GTK# toolkit out-of-the-box) for creating the graphical user interface as it is cross-platform framework, or alternative use a PHP, AJAX (asynchronous JavaScript and XML), or ASP (or ASP.NET which MonoDevelop also supports out-of-the-box) based interface as a web application so that it can be used in any web browser, and again also be cross-platform and platform independent for the end-users.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_(toolkit)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTK%2B
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gtk_Sharp

PS! @fekker, off-topic but why team up with billyad2000 and his XBMC Media Companion application (which is also VB.NET based and designed to serve the same purpose) to make it a joint single application project? If you guys would do that then please consider making that new project open source and choose a new neutral name for it (as it would probably not only be used by XBMC fans but by users of many other media center projects as well).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I would have to agree. Partnering up would be a good idea. There are things I like about XBMC MC and things I like about MIP. I like the way MC makes the nfo files, using the scarped movie name instead of the folder name for <name>. MC also uses the name of the ISO image, or is it the folder, for the nfo file[ The Visitor (2008).nfo ], which I prefer. MC was also able to identify all but 1 of my movies and got 4 wrong. MIP wasn't able to identify around 25 of them. I like how MIP does posters and fanart though. Not being able to select fanart and posters in MC is annoying. If you could make it so that MIP would read in any nfo file in the folder or one that matches the movie file exactly, and use that it would be great. Right now I'm using MC to scrape the movie info, since MIP had a hard time. I then wanted to use MIP to get the fanart and posters. Since I use the format "Movie (Year)" for my folder names and ISOs, it won't work. Your program will only look for "Movie" or "Movie Year" for the nfo file, unless I'm doing something wrong. So if you could make the nfo and corresponding files match the movie file exactly, as I don't want them renamed, it would work great. I could scrape the imdb info from MC and use MIP to scrape the fanart and posters. Even better yet though, as Gamester17 said, combine your projects and you two will have the perfect program even sooner.
JiveTalker Wrote:As I said in my previous post, people may wish to organise their tv shows in different ways, not necessarily having the tv show titles as the second folder level.

Here's an example of how someone may wish to store some of their tv shows:

\TV Shows\UK\Comedy\Fawlty Towers\Series 1
\TV Shows\UK\Comedy\Fawlty Towers\Series 1\Outtakes
\TV Shows\US\Comedy\Friends\Season 1
\TV Shows\US\Comedy\Friends\Season 1\Sample
\TV Shows\US\Comedy\Friends\Season 2
\TV Shows\US\Comedy\Friends\Season 2\Sample
\TV Shows\US\Comedy\Worst Week\Season 1
\TV Shows\US\Comedy\Worst Week\Season 1\Trailer
\TV Shows\US\Drama\Life On Mars\Season 1\Sample

I've changed the way it reads up the folders, now it works similar to movies but 1 level deep only.

Let's use your example, these would be the folders to add.
\TV Shows\UK\Comedy\
\TV Shows\US\Comedy\
\TV Shows\US\Drama\
It would find all the shows under those folders as they are the next level of folders. (using getdirectories call)
For the actual episodes it will scan every thing under those folders, including the sub folders and sub sub sub sub folders (for lack of a better term)

Quote:Would it be possible to port this application to use Mono so that it can run nativly under Linux and Mac OS X as well?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software)
http://www.mono-project.com
Yup, great idea! A mono port looks to be fairly easy, only 4 exceptions and 3 not implemented. - The not implemented are links to open the folder the show or movie is in (not critical) and the other is the link to imdb (can be called differently). Of the 4 exceptions, 2 are not called in the app and will be removed, the others I'll have to located in the code, but neither appear to be in the core components.
The only thing that will blow up completely is the tab control and gui look and feel (done with the krypton toolkit, which does not work in mono). Those can be reverted back to standard windows form controls, at the cost of the visual "prettyness" under the other os's.

I want to get movie info plus into a complete state, and then try the port over, but it might make more sense to try the port first if the methods I used for icon selection won't work with the ported or new combined app version.

I'll see if billyad2000 is interested in a combined effort that is open source.

I'll spend a few hours today trying the initial port and see what happens. And then finish the tv show work that I've got going on now.
Lightbulb 
fekker Wrote:The only thing that will blow up completely is the tab control and gui look and feel (done with the krypton toolkit, which does not work in mono). Those can be reverted back to standard windows form controls, at the cost of the visual "prettyness" under the other os's
What about then instead going with a cross-platform GUI toolkit like Qt toolkit or GTK toolkit (with the GTK# .NET bindings, as MonoDevelop supports this GTK# toolkit out-of-the-box) for creating the graphical user interface as it is cross-platform framework, or alternative use a PHP, AJAX (asynchronous JavaScript and XML), or ASP (or ASP.NET which MonoDevelop also supports out-of-the-box) based interface as a web application so that it can be used in any web browser, and again also be cross-platform and platform independent for the end-users.

Going with a cross-platform GUI toolkit like Qt toolkit or GTK toolkit should make the GUI look a native application under all operating-systems, and looking just as pretty no matter which platform the user runs.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:What about then instead going with a cross-platform GUI toolkit like Qt toolkit or GTK toolkit (with the GTK# .NET bindings, as MonoDevelop supports this GTK# toolkit out-of-the-box) for creating the graphical user interface as it is cross-platform framework, or alternative use a PHP, AJAX (asynchronous JavaScript and XML), or ASP (or ASP.NET which MonoDevelop also supports out-of-the-box) based interface as a web application so that it can be used in any web browser, and again also be cross-platform and platform independent for the end-users.

Going with a cross-platform GUI toolkit like Qt toolkit or GTK toolkit should make the GUI look a native application under all operating-systems, and looking just as pretty no matter which platform the user runs.
I'm looking into those options, gtk sharp looks very promising.

In the interm, i've spawned off a branch of movieinfoplus without any dependences on the two items that won't work under mono. That took more work then I figured, but overall wasn't too bad, the branch is monovb in the svn. There's still something keeping it from compiling under monodevel 1.0, so i'm working on getting monodevel 2.0.1 with the latest mono build to hopefully give me more information (other then [Task:File=, Line=0, Column=0, Type=Error, Priority=Normal, Description=<no message written yet>(VBNC99999)]) for what error it's running into, i'll get that sorted out and with any luck will have a compiled version in a few days that will run under mono 2.0.

Update: 12/19/08
- After many hours of dependency fun, I was able to isolate the issue causing the build failure in mono. As it turns out, it's the download mechanics that is failing, which is a core component and will require a rewrite prior to building under mono.
stanley87 Wrote:can someone explain Trailers for movies to me?
Thers an option in XBMC to play a trailer but i don't have trailers :-S
Do you actually have to have the downloaded trailer in the folder with the -trailer extension?

I thought it was something like, you have a -trailer.txt file and inside it has the url of the trailer at apple trailers and then xbmc just streams this video... ??

It's looking for the movie file for the trailer.
example
Moviename-trailer.avi (doesn't not have to be .avi, it can be any supported media extension)

Quote:If you could make it so that MIP would read in any nfo file in the folder or one that matches the movie file exactly,

Currently it does look for <moviename>.nfo and will read up the imdb id from it, it's actually the first thing it looks for.
I could change it to something like this
look for moviename.nfo
if not found then look for any .nfo in that folder

It's currently looking in the .nfo for the id within the <id>TTxxxxxx</id> tags, however I could try that first, and then look for any imdb url with the TTxxxxxx in it, and if that fails try a regex for two t's followed by 6 or 7 digits.

I'll add that into the next build list of todo's
I also want to add a dialog that displays (similar to the tv shows dialog) a selectable list when it finds more then one match, allowing easier selection of the movie from the list.

UPDATE:
Dec 19, 2008
Beta 2 - Build 2295 has been posted, this is a full install and will remove your config.xml file
If you already have a version of beta 2 installed, and don't want it to extract the cached xml's, create a blank text file in c:\program files\movieinfoplus called noextrez.txt - "c:\program files\movieinfoplus\noextrez.txt"
What's new/changed/not working
Not yet working - TV Show icon selection is not yet working
New/Changed
- IMDB Scanning has been updated and improved, it should find all the shows now
- Change to loaded .nfo information
- It will look for <moviename>.nfo as a full valid .nfo file, then any .nfo file in the folder
-- It looks first in the file for <id>tt000000</id>, then for just for any tt000000 in the file
- TV Show changes, TV Shows now work like movies, you select the root folder and not the individual show file
-- Example - for the following you would only add d:\media\TVShows
--- d:\media\TVShows\House
--- d:\media\TVShows\Heroes
- Multiple fixes to initial scan and locating movies in imdb has been completed, this should work much better
- Labels for size and resolution has been added to the TMDB posters
- Includes Image resize for GUI display of folder.jpg and .tbn file
- Includes features from the test builds
- Fixed a bug with 0k fanart crashing the gui, if it fails to load a valid image, it will automatically remove that 0k file
Build 2304 has been posted
This add's in limited support for TV Show icon, poster, and fanart selection.
Tabs are now disabled if they do not apply to the current TV Show selection.

The tabs do change when in one of the 3 TV Show Modes - give it a try by clicking! Big Grin
Mode 1) TV Show selected - only the TV Show name is highlighted
-- In this mode you can select the fanart, wideicon or poster for the TV Show
Mode 2) TV Show Season Selected - The TV Show name and Season Number are highlighted
-- In this mode you can select the Poster for the Season
Mode 3) Episode Mode - Season Posters can also be changed in this mode

Allow Icon Selection does work for TV Shows now, if your just browsing the collection and not setting icons, uncheck it and things will be much faster as it's not loading all those icons, checking that they are valid images, and getting the image file size and resolution.
fekker Wrote:Build 2304 has been posted
This add's in limited support for TV Show icon, poster, and fanart selection.
Tabs are now disabled if they do not apply to the current TV Show selection.

Hi Fekker, this error keeps popping up for tv shows where I have no fanart:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'Z:\TELEVISION SHOWS\Standard Definition\Borat's Television Programme\fanart.jpg'.
File name: 'Z:\TELEVISION SHOWS\Standard Definition\Borat's Television Programme\fanart.jpg'

I think there was a similar error the first time I clicked on "Load TV Shows" but I didn't manage to get the text of that error, sorry.
Jive talkin, just isnt a crime
JiveTalker Wrote:Hi Fekker, this error keeps popping up for tv shows where I have no fanart:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'Z:\TELEVISION SHOWS\Standard Definition\Borat's Television Programme\fanart.jpg'.
File name: 'Z:\TELEVISION SHOWS\Standard Definition\Borat's Television Programme\fanart.jpg'

I think there was a similar error the first time I clicked on "Load TV Shows" but I didn't manage to get the text of that error, sorry.

Thanks for the report, fixed and compiled, uploading as rev 2305 on sourceforge.
fekker Wrote:Thanks for the report, fixed and compiled, uploading as rev 2305 on sourceforge.

I've installed rev 2305 but I still get the following error on loading tv shows:

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index)
at movieinfoplus.tvshowcollection.updatetvshows()
at movieinfoplus.maincollection.kbtnTVReadFolder_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at ComponentFactory.Krypton.Toolkit.KryptonButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at ComponentFactory.Krypton.Toolkit.KryptonButton.b(Object A_0, MouseEventArgs A_1)
at ComponentFactory.Krypton.Toolkit.ButtonController.OnClick(MouseEventArgs e)
at ComponentFactory.Krypton.Toolkit.ButtonController.MouseUp(Control c, Point pt, MouseButtons button)
at ComponentFactory.Krypton.Toolkit.ViewBase.MouseUp(Point pt, MouseButtons button)
at ComponentFactory.Krypton.Toolkit.ViewBase.MouseUp(Point pt, MouseButtons button)
at ComponentFactory.Krypton.Toolkit.ViewManager.MouseUp(MouseEventArgs e, Point rawPt)
at ComponentFactory.Krypton.Toolkit.VisualControlBase.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at ComponentFactory.Krypton.Toolkit.VisualControlBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Also, the screen that asks the user to select folder paths on install is not focussed and appears behind the main window and the splash screen appears at the front and doesn't disappear until after the config is saved. I think this has always been an issue, although low priority.
fekker Wrote:Thanks for the report, fixed and compiled, uploading as rev 2305 on sourceforge.

...also the season and episode lists at the left no longer seem to populate. Should these update when I click on a tv show title after clicking on "Load TV Shows"? Perhaps this data isn't being generated due to the error listed in my last post?
yesss....will try it!
thanks man!
XBMC on HTPC with Ubuntu 12.04 connected to Amahi Home Server 750GB+1TB storage.
XBMC is probably the best thing that ever happened to me...!!! You people Rock!!!

HTPC: MB: Asus P5N7A-VM DDR: 2 x 1 GB Kingston CPU: Intel Core2DUO E8400 @ 3,0 GHz Coller: Scythe Shuriken
First of all I'd like to say thanks for your hard work on this project. I downloaded your most recent revision and can't for the life of me seem to be able to get it to run on Vista x64. Everything runs great on my XP machine that serves are the media server. My main desktop powerhouse that is running Vista x64 just chokes on it. After install I get a splash screen and after a few seconds Vista just shuts it down. I can monitor the process in task manager and the process eats up 1 full core of the CPU and the memory usage races up to about 1.5GB before Vista shuts it down. I've tried running it in compatibility mode to no avail. The problem details reported are:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: movieinfoplus.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.2305
Problem Signature 03: 494c80e4
Problem Signature 04: movieinfoplus
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.2305
Problem Signature 06: 494c80e4
Problem Signature 07: 32
Problem Signature 08: c6
Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I'd really prefer to use this on my desktop if possible. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

David
david81 Wrote:First of all I'd like to say thanks for your hard work on this project. I downloaded your most recent revision and can't for the life of me seem to be able to get it to run on Vista x64. Everything runs great on my XP machine that serves are the media server. My main desktop powerhouse that is running Vista x64 just chokes on it. After install I get a splash screen and after a few seconds Vista just shuts it down. I can monitor the process in task manager and the process eats up 1 full core of the CPU and the memory usage races up to about 1.5GB before Vista shuts it down. I've tried running it in compatibility mode to no avail. The problem details reported are:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: movieinfoplus.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.2305
Problem Signature 03: 494c80e4
Problem Signature 04: movieinfoplus
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.2305
Problem Signature 06: 494c80e4
Problem Signature 07: 32
Problem Signature 08: c6
Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I'd really prefer to use this on my desktop if possible. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

David

Create a new empty file called noextrez.txt in c:\program files\movieinfoplus
That will tell MIP to not attempt to extract any resources and see if it generates the config.xml in c:\program files\movieinfoplus

if the config.xml is not generated, copy it from your machine that MIP is working on to c:\program files\movieinfoplus\config.xml

See if either of those work, and please report back. If they fail, i'll do a custom debug build for it that logs as it goes to try to isolate the failure point.

Another thing to try is to enable the administrator account (for vista) log in with that account (Administrator) and see if it works. It may be a permissions issue.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie Info Plus - Manage Icons, Posters, FanArt, .NFO's & more for Movies & TV Shows1