Integrated vs discrete graphics
A bit of complaining again. I've got XBMC up and running on my HTPC. I kicked out XP - again!- and installed Intrepid - again! - and now I've got no noticeable judder and everything plays ok.

One thing that bothers me is that the decoding performance when running Ubuntu is so much worse than in Windows on the exact same hardware. Could it be that the linux drivers for my integrated Geforce 7100 isn't as good as their windows counter-part? Would I gains something if I bought a discrete card?

Or is there something else I've missed?
have you installed the restricted drivers?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Yepp, I have.
I just read another post where AlTheKiller said that on 8.10 the restricted drivers aren't quite what they used to be. Try installing using the drivers found on NVIDIA's website.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
That was my post as well. That was a different problem, it doesn't really have anything to do with xbmc but with ubuntu driving me nuts.

How is ati-cards for linux nowadays? I'm going to buy a HD4550 today, 'cause I've read that ATI drivers supports audio over hdmi in linux which Nvidia obviously doesn't.

With my motherboards intergrated graphics (nforce 630i/geforce 7100), which I bought just because it had audio over hdmi, I can't get ANY sound to work - even with a separate audigy card - when having the nvidia drivers installed. I've tried both restricted drivers installation and envy...
You could try going to Hardy, it's much more stable.
So running hardy no one has noticed any decoding degradation versus the windows version? Has anyone noticed it in Intrepid or is it just me?
I myself haven't tested, but I haven't heard of any problems previously on Hardy or Intrepid. Let's see if anyone else ever replies to this thread...

How much of a difference is it?
It's a pretty big difference. Running the beginning of the first episode of planet earth (which is practically the killer sample) I get a lot of dropped frames even on the waterfall before the birds show up, which runs nicely on xp.

In the bird scene I get about 17-20 dropped frames on XP, which is okey for a E6420 clocked at ~2.5ghz, but on linux it's like five times as many dropped frames.

Since it's the same using the ubuntu built-in video player (which I can't remember the name of) it must be either a driver problem or just that Linux has a bigger cpu overhead than xp.

I've checked the processes and there's no other process that hogs the resources either. It just plays worse in ubuntu.

If someone who dual boots windows/ubuntu could check it I'd be grateful. I'm at work right now and I plan on getting a HD4550 and see if it helps.
Okey, I've bought myself a Radeon HD4550, but now I'm getting worried that there are no linux drivers for cards other than the HD4800-series. Am I right? Ah, damn. I bet there are no drivers. That's just my luck.
This is why you check for drivers BEFORE you buy new hardware. Especially _NEW_ hardware.
Is the difference between XBMC for Windows and XBMC for Linux or is it other media players on Windows as well?
It's for all players. Generally windows plays back hd-content better. But now I'm trying to get my new graphic card to function.... I'm thinking 'bout buying myself a cottage somewhere in the Swedish Lappland and hunt elks in my spare time instead of this.

Hooray! I've got HD-resolutions AND audio. It seems to work, now I just have to build xbmc again and see if it works. I love ATI!
LolitaRainking Wrote:Okey, I've bought myself a Radeon HD4550, but now I'm getting worried that there are no linux drivers for cards other than the HD4800-series. Am I right? Ah, damn. I bet there are no drivers. That's just my luck.

I'm using a Radeon HD 3450 on Intrepid with no playback issues at all. The only issue I've had since going to Intrepid is underscan. I'm using the proprietary drivers with a C2D 2.66 GHz proc.
Aenima99x Wrote:I'm using a Radeon HD 3450 on Intrepid with no playback issues at all. The only issue I've had since going to Intrepid is underscan. I'm using the proprietary drivers with a C2D 2.66 GHz proc.

The driver works flawlessly even for the HD4550 which is kind of a surprise since there's no "official" support in for that specific card in the driver documentation.

I just plugged in the card (and messed around with the HDMI connector, it turned out that the cable is kind of wonky) and installed the drivers and I got both picture and audio. That's how I want my operating systems to behave!

How does the killer sample play on your hardware? I get tons of dropped frames even on other movies running at ~2.5 ghz, while in windows it plays much better.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Integrated vs discrete graphics0