Integrated vs discrete graphics
Do you get dropped frames overclcoked at say 3ghz?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:Do you get dropped frames overclcoked at say 3ghz?

My system is not - how to put it - ideal for overclocking. I've got a sff-case (Antec NSK1380) and a passively cooled graphics card, so I can't get over 2.5ghz without hanging. And 2.5ghz is adequate for windows, so I don't understand why it wouldn't be as fast with linux. It uses the same codecs!
LolitaRainking Wrote:How does the killer sample play on your hardware? I get tons of dropped frames even on other movies running at ~2.5 ghz, while in windows it plays much better.

I think the killa sample drops about 6-7 frames usually, have to check again when I get home.
LolitaRainking Wrote:My system is not - how to put it - ideal for overclocking. I've got a sff-case (Antec NSK1380) and a passively cooled graphics card, so I can't get over 2.5ghz without hanging. And 2.5ghz is adequate for windows, so I don't understand why it wouldn't be as fast with linux. It uses the same codecs!

Hrm, answered in other thread but if you look at the case I'm using (low profile), and the video card (passive low profile), you can see I'm in the same boat but have managed a pretty good clock - but am also using an aftermarket sink since I hate the Intel attachments.

Cannot explain why it works better for you in WindersShocked I agree Linux ought to be pretty fast and at least equal if not faster.Oo
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
LolitaRainking Wrote:The driver works flawlessly even for the HD4550 which is kind of a surprise since there's no "official" support in for that specific card in the driver documentation.

I just plugged in the card (and messed around with the HDMI connector, it turned out that the cable is kind of wonky) and installed the drivers and I got both picture and audio. That's how I want my operating systems to behave!

How does the killer sample play on your hardware? I get tons of dropped frames even on other movies running at ~2.5 ghz, while in windows it plays much better.

What method did you use to install the ATI driver? Are you using the ubuntu restricted driver or one from ATI (What version)? Hardy or Intrepid?

Are you still experiencing the performance difference issues w/ the new card?
Hello

I too would like to know how you installed the driver that works for the HD 4550. Please specify the driver used and where to obtain it. I use Kbuntu

Thanks
You guys might want to check and see if ENVY will install that driver for you as it supports ATI and has certainly made NVIDIA drivers a snap to install!
EricG Wrote:Hello

I too would like to know how you installed the driver that works for the HD 4550. Please specify the driver used and where to obtain it. I use Kbuntu

Thanks

I just downloaded and installed the latest ati driver from their home page. But I know it worked with the one that restricted drivers installs as well. The only problem is the underscan, which is easy to fix. The downside is that if you restart after setting the screen coordinats correctly you're greeted with a black screen... Isn't that a killer feature?
LolitaRainking Wrote:How is ati-cards for linux nowadays? I'm going to buy a HD4550 today, 'cause I've read that ATI drivers supports audio over hdmi in linux which Nvidia obviously doesn't.

As of alsa 1.0.18 from 2008-10-29, hdmi audio works on nvidia MCP78/7A.
/Magnus H
magho Wrote:As of alsa 1.0.18 from 2008-10-29, hdmi audio works on nvidia MCP78/7A.
/Magnus H

I never got it to work on my nforce 630i- / geforce 7100-based mobo. It seemed like an easier way to go just buying a new card. It fixed the audio, but on ati it's the underscan problem. The fix for the underscan works once, then you need to revert the settings file to avoid getting the black screen on reboot. Ah, why didn't I just buy another mac?

On windows the decoding load betwen cores works, but then you get the jitters trying to play pal-material.

On linux the jitters are gone, but it can't decode x.264-material 'cause the load between cores are totally screwed.

On mac you get no jitters and the core balance is great. It just works. But you can't get a decent htpc-mac other than the mac mini - which is totally awesome when it comes to size and function - but it hasn't been updated for ages, so you're stuck with a 2ghz core 2 duo. And that's just to slow for 1080p.

Ah, why isn't the world perfect!? No

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Integrated vs discrete graphics0