xbox360 universal remote support?
Well, I was thinking if there is a possibility to use any of the xbox360 remotes (the small one or the "universal media remote") with xbmc for windows.

There is an IR adapter that can support this remotes? A home build one?

Any help, will help, ideas too Big Grin
Well, i found this

http://www.redmondpie.com/using-xbox-360...ia-center/

But I dont have that receiver, I think it will not work with a generic irda
that is the only way to go since they have already developed the XBMC profile you can run it on numerous remotes.

F*&^ eventghost.
jump dump their xml for XBMC for dozens of remotes and you are good to go!!!
alienagenda Wrote:that is the only way to go since they have already developed the XBMC profile you can run it on numerous remotes.

do i get you right here? there is an existing xml-file for enabling xbmc to respond to the xbox 360 universal remote controller?

please point me to that one.
Melloware Wrote:I think what AlienAgenda is trying to say is in that RedmondPie article you can use Intelliremote to control your XBox360 Remote if you have an MCE IR USB Dongle. Intelliremote then has a pre-configured XBMC profile which you can then use with your remote to control XBMC for Windows.

yeah, that sounds like an informative statement.. thanks!
the article says:
Quote:you need Microsoft Remote Control Receiver 1.0A for Media Center PC

do i need this specific receiver or can i use any given ir-usb receiver buyable for pcs?

if i need that specific one from microsoft in order to get my xbox360 remote to work with xbmc for windows, please point me to a place where i can buy it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880100851

media center remote cheap and stupid but you can make it smart...
Melloware Wrote:I think what AlienAgenda is trying to say is in that RedmondPie article you can use Intelliremote to control your XBox360 Remote if you have an MCE IR USB Dongle. Intelliremote then has a pre-configured XBMC profile which you can then use with your remote to control XBMC for Windows.

yep, thats what i was trying to say in a rather crude manner i must admit.
i like the amazon find better.Big Grin
half the price and made in this century.
Melloware Wrote:You need that SPECIFIC receiver. I don't know if you can buy just the USB dongle alone but you can find these Remotes and Dongle package for under 30$ USD on the internet if you search. Someone may be selling just the dongles but no where i can find.

If you have Vista I found this one for 16.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Vista-Remo...251&sr=8-3

thanks so far. problem with amazon.com is - i am from germany, so shipping is too expensive (and takes too long).

would this one work with your application and xbmc, too?
Melloware Wrote:Yes and NO. I do support the Hama remotes but they are not TRUE MCE remotes. Instead of sending HID data for every remote button they send keyboard keystrokes for some buttons like 1-9 etc. So in Intelliremote you can only map the keys that send HID data like Play, Pause etc but not remap 1-9 and a lot of other keys. I usually steer people away from the Hama remotes. And I don't think the IR dongle will work with your Xbox 360 remote.

thanks for your continuous replies.

yeah, after doing some research i found nobody really sells the ir dongle only, so i have to stick with the fact to have another remote in my equipment. i wonder why microsoft itself doesn't have a store in which they sell their own remotes in combination with their receivers.

finally i would live with the option to have another remote for my xbmc needs (might even be handier since my xbox360 is in the same room)

- can you give me a hint which remotes fully support the HID data you've mentioned? i see it will be a bit useless to have a remote that only partial supports mapping in your program.
Melloware Wrote:No problem.

The best and most widely supported remotes are any of the Creative Soundblaster remotes (I am not sure if they are in the business anymore), the Microsoft MCE remote, ANY X10 based remote like Remote Wonder or Snapstream Firefly. All of the MCE clones have varying degree's of quirks like the Hama.

got it.

too bad - creative europe does not sell any remotes - in the us there is an x-fi remote control upgrade kit (receiver/remote) which looks nearly like the one from ms.

final question: does it make any difference if the connection is radio controlled (RF) or via infrared (IR)?

i've checked ebay for "x10 remote" (better "x10 fernbedienung" as that is german)

and found some remotes like this:

X10 Medion RF USB
RF MCE Remote Control Modell OR22Z (entitled MCE Remote XP/Vista MS certified X10)

..are those ones that likely will work with your app & xbmc?

hopefully this is the last time i'm buggin' you Wink
Melloware Wrote:Yes the Medion RF remote is fully supported by Intelliremote and even better it's RF so you don't need line of sight to your PC!!!

Even though I will probably lose you as a customer, if you are looking for an XBMC solution for the Medion RF you can use Dav's app found here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35713

It's free, but obviously Intelliremote is a little more flexible and controls more than just XBMC. Big Grin

the fact that you stub my nose on that thread does not mean i will throw away all your help so far and go for anything i get for free Wink

could you check RF MCE Remote Control Modell OR22Z for compatibility? i know, that page is in german, but maybe you already know if it works or doesn't. it says it's x10 and compatible to my vista ultimate 64bit - and is very cheap atm.
Thumbs Up 
Melloware Wrote:I have seen pictures of this remote before and I am 99.9999% sure it will work with Intelliremote. Once you buy it and confirm it works I will be 100% sure. All the X10 remotes luckily use the same X10 API so they are pretty standard. And for this price how could you go wrong?!?!??! Big Grin

that was the positive signal i needed - thanks Wink

so i'll just buy that one. when i receive it, i'll give your app a try (i guess even in test mode i can verify if it works or not) and if it works you have a new customer Wink

cheers for all your replies, again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbox360 universal remote support?0