• 25FPS 720p (1280x720) playback at 24Hz
  • 29.97FPS 720p (1280x720) playback at 29.97Hz
  • 30FPS 720p (1280x720) playback at 24Hz
  • 23.976FPS 1080p (1920x1080) playback at 23.976Hz
  • 24FPS 1080p (1920x1080) playback at 24Hz
  • 25FPS 1080p (1920x1080) playback at 24Hz
  • 29.97FPS 1080p (1920x1080) playback at 29.97Hz
  • 30FPS 1080p (1920x1080) playback at 24Hz

Is this actually what it does? Resolution independent, shouldn't be 25Hz for 25FPS and 30Hz for 30 FPS? Better yet, since some TV's support all these frequencies and 50Hz, 60Hz or even higher, shouldn't the playback frequency be the highest FPS multiple value possible?
My guess is it's a copy 'n paste problem. Indeed that would not be optimal Smile
Question 
Till today the automatic refreshrate switching is not working for me. I have tried this feature since it's available. I update to the newest SVN every two weeks and I have tried it with each new catalyst verision. I also tried it with two different ATI cards.

Who has this feature working on an ATI card with the 9.2 catalyst driver under Vista32 with the current SVN version?

Normaly I set "vsync always on" and "tripple buffering on" in the ccc.
hi all, whats the best refresh rate to use on xbmc and everything else

is it best to use the max supported? i think my lcd tv supports up to 75hz but at the moment i think everything is set at 60hz on my computer

thanks
Do I have to set anything in the ati-catalyst driver settings to let xbmc change the refresh rate?
As it is now XBMC cant change the refresh rate, even when i try doing it in the "screen settings" in XBMC.
The auto refresh works fine when i use my GMA-card, but then i got some other problems with the picture.
RickDeckard Wrote:@Allfodr and Hitcher
thanks for the suggestion, but that wasn't it unfortunately.

Upon further investigation I have found that the auto adjustment functionality sets the refresh rate to 23.98 Hz.
The strange thing is that when I set the desktop resolution to 23.98Hz and the screen resolution in XBMC to auto or 1920*[email protected], 24p movies are shown without the resizing and translation issue I reported above.

When the desktop resolution and screen resolution in XBMC is set to 1920*1080 at a refresh rate higher than 23.98Hz, the auto refresh rate adjustment function correctly sets the resolution to 1920*[email protected] but then I do get the display problems mentioned in my previous post. Even though it all works fine if I set the exact same resolution manually Huh

There is one other thing I have noticed which may be related: in XBMC, I can only select the exact same refresh rate to which I have set the Vista desktop. E.g. if I set my Vista resolution to 1920*1080@60Hz, I can only select 1920*1080@60Hz in XBMC. At least as far as 1920*1080 resolution is concerned. For lower resolutions I can select the same complete range as reported under Windows.

Log file can be found here

Hey I was wondering if you ever found a solution to that problem because I have the exact same one.
Snorefingers Wrote:Hey I was wondering if you ever found a solution to that problem because I have the exact same one.

Nope, and I even installed a new graphics adapter recently (although not to fix this particular issue). Both the new and the old one were Nvidia models. I've also already tried with another PC that had Vista and a Nvidia GPU installed and unfortunately with the same outcome. I'm guessing most - if not all - Nvidia owners would experience this problem under Vista and with that particular resolution setting.

To alleviate the problem somewhat I have in the meantime created a Girder script that offers all available resolutions in an OSD window so I can at least switch to the resolution I want via my remote. Still need to exit and restart XBMC before and after changing resolution, but at least I can keep the keyboard and mouse unplugged.
Myxin Wrote:Till today the automatic refreshrate switching is not working for me. I have tried this feature since it's available. I update to the newest SVN every two weeks and I have tried it with each new catalyst verision. I also tried it with two different ATI cards.

Who has this feature working on an ATI card with the 9.2 catalyst driver under Vista32 with the current SVN version?

Normaly I set "vsync always on" and "tripple buffering on" in the ccc.
I have the same problem as Myxin above (also see this earlier post of his). We both have ATI cards and Windows Vista.

I just tried with SVN 20916 and it still isn't working correctly. It works great on my normal PC (Windows XP and Nvidia card), but I have no luck with my HTPC (Vista x64 and ATI graphics). Removing the SetForegroundWindow calls from VideoReferenceClock.c (a tip from bobo1on1) had no effect either Sad Was I even looking in the right file bobo? Huh

In my case the "adjust refresh rate" function does detect that the refresh rate should be changed and changes it. However something in Vista or from ATI instantly overrides that change and changes the resolution back to the former (bad) resolution again. Oo

I see that dpassent used to share my symptoms:
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p...stcount=87

I tried his solution but it didn't work for me - probably since I'm running Vista and he's running XP.

Here's a debug log from my last run:
http://pastebin.com/m9ce14f9

Do you have any other ideas bobo? or can you point us in the right direction of what things to try?
This seems to be the case again. Function is down.
Well maybe helps maybe not. The only way i get good playback is to use the integrated intel gpu, enabling aero (vista business 32b) and set vsync on (asynchronous flipping off), triple buffering on and disable vsync in xbmc. Also set the resolution to 1920x1080p 60Hz in xbmc.
Tried with a radeon 4870 every possible setting till nausea - didn't succeed.
Tried with a geforce 9500gt every possible setting till nausea - didn't succeed.
The smoothest pans and not jerky fast scenes are achieved on that pos intel onboard...
Its still good on the other "better" cards but it is nowhere near as smooth than on the onboard one. Using a dedicated htpc and gave up using my main pc.
gigabyte g41mf-us2h, e5300 (10x300 fsb) 2gig ram, 200Gb hdd, aerocool m40 cube chassis corsair 400w psu, old quiet e6600 d2d stock cooler. Runs silent and cool cept the northbirdge which gets 55-60 degrees C when xbmc idles.

The adjust refresh rate feture doesent do any good to me even tho my display supports 24Hz refresh.
So, is there any developer that want to look in to this?

//Regards StarChild
Testing the new Alpha 2 and still no autorefresh working for me...I'm on XP with an ATI 2600XT ...it worked some months ago with a SVN Build...can't remembert which one but it worked fine.

Now this does not seem to be a high prio thing....or is it just us ATI guys loosing out on this feature right now?

Anybody running the new Alpha 2 with an ATI and working auto refresh?? Please report Rolleyes
Works just fine for me and I have an ATI HD3200 integrated GPU as of Alpha 2. It worked for me in alpha 1 and in some of the more recent SVN's that were out before the alpha's were released.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
I haven't updated XBMC for few weeks, perhaps months. Today I updated to 24368 GL.
Adjust refresh rate doesn't work anymore.

I run XBMC on WinXP 32bits.
Computer is a 780G (Radeon HD3200), CPU is AMD4850e

Upgrading XBMC is the only change I made (not updated Gfx DRV).

Adjusting refresh rate + reclock was really great, the picture was perfectly smooth, and I would strongly like to get back this feature.

VBlank is off in XBMC and always on in ATI CCC.
When I play a video file, it starts immediately, I don't think XBMC tries to adjust the rr.

Is there some new requirements for it to work ?

Regards,
Thanks to all XBMC contributors, devs, skinners, scripters, ... It's really an amazing piece of software.
Ati 3870 on Xp sp 3 here and auto refresh works absolutely fine for me on alpha 2 (and has done pretty much since the feature was introduced)

Not sure if this might help but have you tried setting all the resolutions/refresh rates you want in windows first (I always do this just to disable ATI's default underscan).

I think I remember having trouble with this until I had set the desired refresh rate and confirmed that it worked (click yes if you can see the desktop thingy) in windows. Once each refresh rate had been tried once in windows xbmc was then able to use it. (You only ever have to do this once.)

Caveat: my memory is very hazy on this so I could be completely wrong - but it might be something to try.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
'Adjust refresh rate' now working for Windows0