Quad Core Question
I actually am using the Q6600 on a Dell machine to decode 1080p content. I've never tried the killa video, but all my 1080p mkv movies work fine in XBMC.

Edit: It should be noted that when I say "fine," I mean frames are never dropped. Except, admittedly, at the very beginning when the video is first started, but I think that's an unrelated issue.
Q6600 Stock clocked (2.4 Ghz) w/ 8GB ram and a EVGA 260 (i know its not hardware accelerated)

XBMC works like a charm, CPU usage jumps between 12 and 35%

Q6600's are around 170$ now.
Further update. So I bought a copy of The Dark Knight, ripped it, grabbed the m2ts (or whatever the letters are) stream, and ran it through xbmc. Every scene worked like a charm. It was really pretty incredibly to see. 2 dropped frames from when the movie first started, but my computer ALWAYS drops frames at the beginning of movies. Skipping forward and back was not quite as pleasant, everything else worked great.

As far as I can tell, a Q6600 w/ 3gig ram and a cheap, modern graphics card will run almost anything.
rernst Wrote:AMD doesn't do any video decoding for XBMC at all sicne XBMC doesn't use hardware support.
Doh, I missed the news where AMD stopped producing CPUs.
Video decoding is processing task. Intel CPUs are currently better equipped than AMDs. That's what I was saying.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Quad Core Question0