XBMC Skinning Contest and eventual prototype contest
TopCoder.com has launched a contest to create an xbmc skin where the winning skin earns 1000 dollars and the contests has 2000 dollars in prize money.

http://studio.topcoder.com/?module=ViewC...ls&ct=2438

I apologize if this is the wrong forum.
what the **** is wivo media center??
watzen Wrote:what the **** is wivo media center??

A new product a company is considering building on top of xbmc
and you're from said company?
I do work with the company hosting the competition.
Dont read that afterall...

What skinning gears should i use? (yet i have the gimp and paintshop pro plus a lot of adaptable homemade interface artwork) What is missing in my toolset? Smile (i dont quite care about the contest, i hate contests koz i know it always ends up more like a rat race than a noble duel) [like those beatport contests] ......... And i am facing my worst night mare right now... That assignment sheet.... oh gosh... What's the point with topcoder studio? Some compagnies come and launch contests then some people work for prizes instead of getting hired directly? .. not bad!...( ? ) Yet... Its the most paying contest site i seen yet... since deviantart, beatport and jamglue... eh.. lol.... I'll probably take a few days thinking.. Wait.. Duh O_O Damn sucks it'll end like tomorrow, i dont even have the time to send the assignment form :S... What a waist of time....... Ok back to the forum search tab and try to get some serious xbmc skinning tutorials :S
lol you got to be kidding no one can make a skin in 3 days with all the code and graphics you will have zero winners unless you let people submit allready done XBMC skins
but then you have this so I guess not
Quote:Entries must be your original work, and must not infringe on the copyright or licenses of others. Stock art, clip art, templates and other design elements from other sources are prohibited unless specifically permitted here in the Contest Details.
Question 
http://studio.topcoder.com/?module=ViewC...ls&ct=2438
Quote:Start Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 at 20:00 EST
End Date: Friday, December 5, 2008 at 13:00 EST

Winner(s) Announced: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 18:00 EST
Like Jezz_X's said, no one will be able to make a skin for XBMC Media Center from scratch in just three days, those dates must be a mistake or the company who posted this contest can not have done any research into XBMC skinning what so ever. I personally doubt that three is even long enough to put together some decent concept mookups images of all those sections that is asked for, especially if all images must be the artists original work. Most existing skins for XBMC have hundreds and thousands of hours behind them from more than one person, and most skinners borrow/copy code from other skins instead of coding everything from scratch.

@messopotamia, is the the skin meant to be open source? If not then the skinners will not be able to base their skin on others existing open source skins, meaning they have to make everything from scratch.

@messopotamia, why would not not allow the use of royalty free images and others open source skin code?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110

Huh
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Jezz_X Wrote:lol you got to be kidding no one can make a skin in 3 days with all the code and graphics you will have zero winners unless you let people submit allready done XBMC skins
but then you have this so I guess not

This contest is just jpegs of what a skin could look like there will be follow on contests that actually implement the skins.
Gamester17 Wrote:http://studio.topcoder.com/?module=ViewC...ls&ct=2438Like Jezz_X's said, no one will be able to make a skin for XBMC Media Center from scratch in just three days, those dates must be a mistake or the company who posted this contest can not have done any research into XBMC skinning what so ever. I personally doubt that three is even long enough to put together some decent concept mookups images of all those sections that is asked for, especially if all images must be the artists original work. Most existing skins for XBMC have hundreds and thousands of hours behind them from more than one person, and most skinners borrow/copy code from other skins instead of coding everything from scratch.

@messopotamia, is the the skin meant to be open source? If not then the skinners will not be able to base their skin on others existing open source skins, meaning they have to make everything from scratch.

@messopotamia, why would not not allow the use of royalty free images and others open source skin code?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110

Huh

To be honest you should probably ask those in the studio forum, I don't want to give you the wrong answer.
messopotamia Wrote:This contest is just jpegs of what a skin could look like there will be follow on contests that actually implement the skins.

Its also only 3 windows (one of which is the video osd)
And they give you wireframes.
And they give you a color palette.

I would have totally tried to enter this if I noticed it before today. I mean - they're giving out prizes to 7 people, how many contestants could they possibly have?

Having said that, this whole wivo tv thing sounds like fail.

Quote:When the user is on the Cold Start page (Screen 1) they will be able to view available video thumbnails from four (4) Electronic Product Guide (EPG) categories.
1) Crowdsourced EPG
2) World/GEO EPG
3) Celebrity Playlist
4) User Persona
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Éh, Gamester, i registered the forum especialy to make an xbmc skin... Could you help me with a few article links and knowledge share? Smile
This contest is ridiculous. It is crazy to think that someone could make a skin under such circumstances. Mbezik and I made Containment in about 2 weeks, which I thought was pretty f'in fast. The people who came up with this contest have no idea what it is like making a skin. It is even hard when you are trying to base your skin off pre-esisting gui's. I hope these people have no contestants so they can realize how crazy they are.
CHI3f Wrote:This contest is ridiculous. It is crazy to think that someone could make a skin under such circumstances. Mbezik and I made Containment in about 2 weeks, which I thought was pretty f'in fast. The people who came up with this contest have no idea what it is like making a skin. It is even hard when you are trying to base your skin off pre-esisting gui's. I hope these people have no contestants so they can realize how crazy they are.

its not that they have 3 days to make it, its three days to come up with some mockups, or so i've gathered from others' posts
Read People, Read. ;-)

The Contest states:

Required Screens
There are three (3) screens required for this contest
1) Wivo Cold-Start/Splash Page
2) Wivo Level 2 Category Page
3) Wivo Video Player Page

The client is providing wireframes of the required screens.
Wivo_coldstart.pdf
Wivo_level2.pdf
Wivo_player.pdf

So you will have to supply a few PDF's with mockups of specific screens.
Below the copied piece of the contest, there are some must-haves for these mockups.

I'm no skinner, but 3 screen-mockups in 3 days, that's not that hard...

Only Question is, what o what will Orange Labs do with the sent in mockups??

Oh, and you HAVE to be a US-citizen... According to Topcoder and/or Orange labs the best Artists must life in the US. ;-)
Joy In Repitition

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Skinning Contest and eventual prototype contest0