ffmpeg (mplayerc) h.264/VC1 GPGPU decoding found
dmidi Wrote:The user in question has said that GPU acceleration would enable him to keep 3 machines in use. That's 3 machines not ending up in a landfill in China where they leach toxic chemicals into kid's drinking water.
Wow... you really are an insightful person, while poor ashlar doesn't look for anything better than polluting kid's drinking water... Rolleyes
Quote:The math is simple and it does lead to GPU acceleration. Beyond energy savings for mainstream systems, a cheaper processor could mean a cheaper motherboard which could mean a more affordable low energy unit which could mean more people saving power.
For me the math is simple in that it doesn't take a genius to predict that software 1080p h264 decoding of 45Mb streams will be easy for entry level processors in the near future.
Do you plan to run XBMC without a CPU?

The difference of video acceleration, when compared to 3D graphics, is that with video the plateau it's already in sight. For home use there's pretty much no point in going higher than 1080p, unless we develop ultra hi-res bionic eyes in the meantime. So yes, I strongly believe that, in time, video decoding will become a non-feature. Are you using or would strongly care for xvid hardware decoding?
Another reason: Almost all other media center apps does have GPU accel for playing videos. Using GPU accel you can use old processors to play HD videos. Please, XBMC devs, add that feature to XBMC, that way users that doesn't like GPU accel can disable it and many others, like me, can use HD videos with very low CPU impact...

regards,
this thread has nothing to do with the title any longer (unless somebody points me to a working GPU assisted ffmpeg decoder....) so closing.

The DXVA discussion an continue in this other thread if you wish => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33323

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ffmpeg (mplayerc) h.264/VC1 GPGPU decoding found2