RSS vista problem
Hi

I'm a newbie to XBMC and this forum so please be gentle. I've tried to change the RSS feed in xbmc running in Vista but keep getting this error.

Cannot create C:\Programme Files\XBMC\userdata\Rssfeeds.xml file

Am I doing something wrong? I've searched the forum and read the online manual again but can't see what i'm doing wrong.

Any help will be appreciated
Hi, and welcome.

You should use notepad to edit the RssFeeds.xml file.

This file should already be in /Users/<<your username>>/Application Data/XBMC/userdata.

Read more here : http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=RssFeeds.xml

Front page for the xbmc manual is here : http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual

Good luck. Wink
start xbmc.exe with -p. This will save all user data to your profile dir where XBMC is allowed to store data.
The installer creates such a link but I assume you're running vista as restricted user and therefore the installer wasn't able to create the link.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
frumpy_uk Wrote:Hi, and welcome.

You should use notepad to edit the RssFeeds.xml file.

This file should already be in /Users/<<your username>>/Application Data/XBMC/userdata.

Read more here : http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=RssFeeds.xml

Front page for the xbmc manual is here : http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual

Good luck. Wink

Thanks

I've followed the steps from the online manual. Never used notepad though seems to open in xml editor but i'll give it a try

Tried notepad didn't work?!
WiSo Wrote:start xbmc.exe with -p. This will save all user data to your profile dir where XBMC is allowed to store data.
The installer creates such a link but I assume you're running vista as restricted user and therefore the installer wasn't able to create the link.

Sorry not only am I a newbie but it seems i'm not that bright either!Confused
What do you mean by start ebmc.exe with -p?
Question 
Ok so with a lot of looking around I found XBMC.exe does start with -p in both full screen -fs -p and windowed -p

I'm still stuck though I can't change the rss in vista it won't allow me to save the changes i keep getting the same error

I've tried opening it in notepad, xml editor but can't seem to win. I have read the online manual more than once to see if I've missed something but can't find anything?

Even a small change, deleting a letter and replacing it, gives the same error.

Its obviously a vista problem. Has anybody else had this problem? How did you get around it?
whipper Wrote:Ok so with a lot of looking around I found XBMC.exe does start with -p in both full screen -fs -p and windowed -p

I'm still stuck though I can't change the rss in vista it won't allow me to save the changes i keep getting the same error

I've tried opening it in notepad, xml editor but can't seem to win. I have read the online manual more than once to see if I've missed something but can't find anything?

Even a small change, deleting a letter and replacing it, gives the same error.

Its obviously a vista problem. Has anybody else had this problem? How did you get around it?

if you would have read the above post correctly you would have known that you should NOT use the c:\program files etc location but following:

C:\Users\Jester\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata

Replace Jester with your own username
Jester Wrote:if you would have read the above post correctly you would have known that you should NOT use the c:\program files etc location but following:

C:\Users\Jester\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata

Replace Jester with your own username

Sorry I obviously didn't understand correctly. I am the only user on this PC and expected everything to run as administrator. I did also say I wasn't that bright!Shocked

Thank you for your help. I can change it now and i've learnt something new.

I'll try keep my stupid questions to a minimum!Sad
vista has changed the way the administrator account works... even though your account has administrator rights, you still need to manually run things as administrator (via the right click menu) to enable full access

alternatively you can disable UAC to return things back to the way they were for XP administrators - google for this

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RSS vista problem1