Xbox Friendly Texutres.xpr
Thanks for the effort of reducing the XPR size again but IMO the trade-off has been for the worse.
The background images are showing a lot more visible banding and effects of size/IQ trade-off.
navanman Wrote:Thanks for the effort of reducing the XPR size again but IMO the trade-off has been for the worse.
The background images are showing a lot more visible banding and effects of size/IQ trade-off.

Yeah i know i will put the other version back up along with this version so that you have a choice.
Rocky - this new version works well - seems to be reducing the CPU load slightly and there is also seems to be more free memory. I don't really notice the lack in quality.

I guess the next thing to optimise would be the backgrounds - its a shame - i like them - but how much of the CPU / memory strain is down to them?

When we have more of this figured out we should get a sticky thread started "HOW TO configure MediaStream for cool runnings on the Xbox"...
ashlartowers Wrote:Rocky - this new version works well - seems to be reducing the CPU load slightly and there is also seems to be more free memory. I don't really notice the lack in quality.

I guess the next thing to optimise would be the backgrounds - its a shame - i like them - but how much of the CPU / memory strain is down to them?

When we have more of this figured out we should get a sticky thread started "HOW TO configure MediaStream for cool runnings on the Xbox"...

The backgrounds are resized lol by 50% its just the way the skin is built it has lots of layers and fancy stuff that make it look nice but its a strain on the old dog.

Two version are up now i fixed both of them.

Version 2 doesn't actually look that bad now.
awesome work rocky will test tonight Smile

FYI people a new T3CH rls is out.
Got a Logitech Harmony ONE ? Click here for my XBMC Customization HOW TO
Hi Rocky,

unfortunately the download links you've provided seem not to work. Could you please upload to an alternative provider? I would appreciate that.

With best regards and thx to you and the MediaStream Team for the effort.

Edit: OK, for some reason the download works now. THX
You may want to try removing all the default home backgrounds (all images starting with HomeBG) as well as any code that refers to them.

That will reduce the size of the xpr massively. Then if you setup relevant custom background options so you can still have backgrounds displayed.

Not sure if it will actually save any memory but it might be worth a try?
To my naive eyes it seems that the Xbox is battling more with CPU usage than memory usage (at least with the modded textures file).

Can anyone explain why the CPU is so high when browsing in the library? Even when idle CPU usage is above 90%. What is the CPU doing at this time?!
There is a different Xbox modded textures file here for people to try

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=253...tcount=139

I don't know which is best....
ashlartowers Wrote:To my naive eyes it seems that the Xbox is battling more with CPU usage than memory usage (at least with the modded textures file).

Can anyone explain why the CPU is so high when browsing in the library? Even when idle CPU usage is above 90%. What is the CPU doing at this time?!

Hmm - I get a similarly surprisingly high CPU reading in the library on my Mac as on my XBOX. What is XBMC doing? Could this be a bug?

Edit: I think I should create a different thread for this - sorry for going off topic.
ashlartowers Wrote:There is a different Xbox modded textures file here for people to try

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=253...tcount=139

I don't know which is best....
Hi all Over the last week or so i have been trying different way's to improve things for xbox,
and you may think this a bit rude of me posting in here since i have my own version on the forum but i want to share my findings.
All i did with my last skin was removed all none needed files like the previews. most of the icons and changed all background pictures with ones that were smaller in size ie in terms of KB and just reduced the bit rate to 24 and then resized by 25%.
On this pack which is about 15mb This is the whole skin, i achieved 34 - 35 mb free ram

I did the same as rocky originally by reducing the dimensions of all 300 files by 50%
and to be honest it not only looked crap even on a 4/3 tv but still only got 34mb free ram.
i assumed because they were so small it has to work harder at upscaling the pictures which of course uses more ram also switching your video output from 1080 down to 720 will save memory or why not just use 480 then everything will play?
I hope i have not offended you rocky as that is not my intention.
the bottom line is the best you will achieve is 35mb free no matter what ya do and that may not be enougth for all you large 720 or 1080 film fans in which case build yerself a htpc. thanks and have a good new yearWink
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
Wonder if this xpr helps with this problem I've also encountered since 0.97,

Library update is REALLY slow!
Thank you so very much Rocky....Tried the first texture pack and resized my fanart to 800x600 (plain old 4:3 TVSad) and everything is working great!

MAny many thanks....You just made my day Smile

@paul, I am afraid your edited texture pack doesn't really work...The "lite" texture pack leaves more free memory on my Xbox.
Hameed Wrote:Thank you so very much Rocky....Tried the first texture pack and resized my fanart to 800x600 (plain old 4:3 TVSad) and everything is working great!

MAny many thanks....You just made my day Smile

@paul, I am afraid your edited texture pack doesn't really work...The "lite" texture pack leaves more free memory on my Xbox.
That may be so on your xbox but may i point out that i wanted to create a cross platform version that look's good on all resolutions + all screens pictures have been replaced with the exception of 2 the power screen and dvd screen and i am running it on a similar setup to yours with no problems.
Besides lowereing the quality too much does not help it actually does make the memory issue worse because the xbox then has to upscale all the textures thus using more ram.:p
murion Wrote:Wonder if this xpr helps with this problem I've also encountered since 0.97,

Library update is REALLY slow!

The libray update is slow regardless of what skin you use or how much ram you have spare,
And there is little the devs can do about it.Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox Friendly Texutres.xpr0