3D control
Hi All,
I want to create a XBMC skin where I can show various media categories on the face of a 3D object. This would either be a prism (where I have 4 categories to show) or a cube (where I have six categories). The idea is to show the icons representing a media on the face of the object. The user should be able to navigate to various categories by rotating the object about a predefined axis and select and play a media by selecting appropriate icon on the visible face of the object. Is this feasible using current XBMC UI libraries?
If not, please suggest how best to approach the problem. Thanks in advance for any inputs that you may provide..
It's possible, yes. Just not very practical. You'd have to do each face as a separate image control (or button or whatever) and apply rotation animations to each of them so that they appear in the correct place. This is non-trivial.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks jmarshall for quick response.
Can you please elaborate why you say its not practical? Is it because the icons for media cannot be added to the face at run time?
It's not practical due to the amount of code required and complexity of the code required. Take a look at how coverflow is done in any of the skins for instance.

If you're wanting this to work for listings of videos or music or whatever then basing it on the way coverflow is done is the only way to do it. It'd be easier for a main menu selector I suspect, though still a reasonable amount of computation required.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

you could also look at this:
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35011
Thanks folks for your invaluable suggestions. I will give these a try and post the results shortly.. but would love hearing more from the gurus on this.
any more reference sites that I can look at? Really appreciate your help.
Watzen,
I could not run your skin. Is there a location from where I can download the latest version of this skin?
Thanks in advance.
read the thread... it's not a complete skin. drop it in your PAL16/9 folder in the PM3 skin folder.
Hi Watzen,
Can you pl. hlep me with how to calculate the angles in animation? For ex., how did you arrive at the figures "438.5252" and "188.5252"? Is there a tool that I can use to calculate these angles ?
Thanks,
I am able to figure out the angles and also the "center" for animations. However, "438.5252" is still a mystery..
I got all of them finally Smile
isn't it fun with math! Smile
Yeah. Of late, I have been getting quite a bit of such fun - courtesy XBMC skinning ..
I worked with 3D objects a few months ago, was working on a tutorial on how to skin with 3D controls, never finished it though. Sad

I remember the calculating of the angles is kinda guessing and a lot of trial of error, also the camera control was a bit dodgy, maybe it's just me, haven't had math for about 4 years, but managed to make a cube and pyramid.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D control0