Poll: What primary XBMC Media Center platform are you running on?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
XBMC Live (permanent installation on USB or HDD)
10.94%
XBMC for Apple TV
4.10%
XBMC for Linux
26.70%
XBMC for Mac
4.51%
XBMC for Windows
38.00%
XBMC for Xbox
14.52%
XBMC for iOS/ATV2
1.24%
Total
1929 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

• 2(current)
What platform are you running XBMC Media Center on?
Yep the team did good! I think M$ stopped making the Xbox to soon... what with a whole new customer base opening up in China and Sony STILL pushing the PS2 which the Xbox trousered power wise! Would of been great if the Bill Box had been slimmed by M$ like Sony did with the PS2 eh! and maybe asked a few of the team about what makes a decent media centre too!! Big Grin
Discaciate Wrote:And also by the large number of people still using the Xbox version. I guess that's a huge merit of the XBMC team. I mean, they really made the life of that console last a lot longer for quite some people. Superb job.

I actually bought an XBOX just to run XBMC Shocked

My other options were a NAS of somekind that plays videos, a dedicated computer, or a DVD player that connects to the network. XBOX with XBMC is cheaper, easier to setup and run and looks way better than any of the above options!
Geeba Wrote:Yep the team did good! I think M$ stopped making the Xbox to soon... what with a whole new customer base opening up in China and Sony STILL pushing the PS2 which the Xbox trousered power wise! Would of been great if the Bill Box had been slimmed by M$ like Sony did with the PS2 eh! and maybe asked a few of the team about what makes a decent media centre too!! Big Grin

Thats true. I guess M$ is only thinking about the US and European markets. And I also agree about hiiring some of the guys. And the funny thing is that they did something similar on Vista. They got some guys from WindowsBlinds to work on the Aero skin. And the result is a truly fantastic interface design (at least IMO). The rest of the Vista system isn't that great, but thats another history...

IMO the XBMC is superior to MCE in almost every way...

Hameed Wrote:I actually bought an XBOX just to run XBMC Shocked

My other options were a NAS of somekind that plays videos, a dedicated computer, or a DVD player that connects to the network. XBOX with XBMC is cheaper, easier to setup and run and looks way better than any of the above options!

I almost did the same. And I do agree on your reasons. The only thing that stopped me from doing it was the fact that smooth 1080p playback was a must for me. So I ended up going with the custom HTPC with the Windows version. And thats another thing that I love about it... With so many versions you can find one that suits our need.
MS would of sold a ton of them if they had of left the OS open source and allowed us to do what we do. Then again they would of lost their butts because in the end it was costing them more than they where selling them for.

I would of clicked twice for Xbox and once for windows but it doesn't allow me to. 1 Windows being a test machine and the Xboxs being my home theater.
Linux FTW! Keep up the great work.
When running a dedicated HTPC, what's the difference between the Linux version and the Live version (installed to HDD) ? I'm running live from HDD, am i missing something ?
xbox untill it get ported to 360 Wink
I run XBMC on my 'revitalized' xbox and use it as my media center.

All my movies, mp3s, pictures are backed up on a NAS box wired to our home office computer and then use wireless 'N' network to the wireless bridge (for the xbox) in the basement where my home theatre set up is. I've got the HD adapter for the xbox hooked to my home entertainment system.

What lead me to xbmc was the ability to sort, play .iso images in a dummy proof format for my wife and kids. I painfully used WMC and had to either mount images with Daemon tools or use VLCplayer.

My only concern is that the xbox platform seems to be the most active but appears to be losing future development support. Sad

Long live XBMC
I use both windows and original xbox, but the xbox gets used everyday, the windows version only when the missus is watching shite like the xfactor on TV.

There's still a lot of xbox users out there who use XBMC on a regular basis. It'd be a shame to ignore them.
XBMC for Xbox<----- me
i use xbmc on windows vista ultimate
First post, I have been using XBMC since 2002 or 2003 on my Xbox, which is now in the bedroom instead of living room because I don't think it can handle HD mkv files (could be wrong and looking it up now)
Would love to see the specs come come down a little bit so I can load it on an old laptop and use it in the living room, where my 360 +Tversity is king.
1 Original XBOX XBMC with every game under the sun
3 Raspberry Pi's w/ Openelec Kodi shared MySQL db
1 Win7 Kodi hosting shared MySQL and media
1 Mythbuntu backend v.27 and HD Homerun Prime 3 tuners
I would expect windows to be higher and just get higher as time goes on just as an effect of that os having more market share.

I'm using it on windows, but keep on meaning to try out the live cd to see what performance is like on my old laptop. Linux support for that graphics card seemed to be a bit weird in the past.. so we'll see.
running on vista ultimate for now since media playback on linux is a bit behind.
I use an ubuntu linux machine also as a media server and test environment for XBMC but that is another story.
From times to times i have thought about converting to linux since i am quite have with my linux desktop machine but for media playback linux just doesn't cut it for me yet. My main problem is support for my x-fi which in windows has spdif and DDL and DTS connect but on linux i only get analogue out. I haven't tried the HMDI out of my 4850 to see how it does under linux, anybody know if it works, does it passthrough sound and the new HD audio formats??
Anyway my point is for now if you wanna have a really good HD experience the only way to go is windows.
xalaros Wrote:running on vista ultimate for now since media playback on linux is a bit behind.
I use an ubuntu linux machine also as a media server and test environment for XBMC but that is another story.
From times to times i have thought about converting to linux since i am quite have with my linux desktop machine but for media playback linux just doesn't cut it for me yet. My main problem is support for my x-fi which in windows has spdif and DDL and DTS connect but on linux i only get analogue out. I haven't tried the HMDI out of my 4850 to see how it does under linux, anybody know if it works, does it passthrough sound and the new HD audio formats??
Anyway my point is for now if you wanna have a really good HD experience the only way to go is windows.

Hmz.. ever heard of that new fancy feature called VDPAU (which is only available on Linux) ?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What platform are you running XBMC Media Center on?2