Media Finish Time and Finish Time Library Browsing
I've searched around and it seems that this hasn't been presented in these forums.

I'm not a coder, but I thought that this might be an easy addition...
XBMC can already report the duration of a given piece of media. For long media such as Movies or audio books (or all media) I was wondering if it would be difficult to have the system add the duration to the time reported by the system clock to indicate when the media would finish if you started watching or listening.

So for example assume the system clock in XBMC says that it is 6:12pm, and say I browse to something like "The Dark Knight" which is 152 minutes long. Somewhere convenient in the interface (skinner's choice) XBMC would inform you that the movie would be completed at 8:43pm. On the fly the system would calculate the completion time for the media selected.

This could also include play lists. Say I haven't decided what to watch and the clock ticks over to 6:13pm. If the cursor is still on "The Dark Knight" The interface would update to indicate a finish time of 8:44pm and so on.

That is really the extent of the request, but if someone has the ingenuity the time functions described here could surely be integrated into the Library.

For instance we can already browse by Genre, Actor, Year, etc... But imagine browsing by completion time. When it pulls up you would see a list of progressively increasing times grouped into 5 minute or 10 minute or 15 minute groupings (Increments could be either hard coded or user selectable).

Example....

Assume that the system Clock time when you browsed into the completion time Library interface is 6:12pm

The Interface would show the following list (15 minute groups for this example) with the following movies for example.

6:45
7:00
7:15
7:30
7:45
8:00
|_Mission Impossible (110 Min)
8:15
|_Batman (126 Min)
|_Batman Forever (122 Min)
8:30
|_Batman Begins (140 Min)
|_The Dark Knight (152 Min)
8:45
9:00
9:15
|_Titanic (194 Min)
9:30
9:45
10:00
10:15
|_Return of the King [Extended Edition] (251 Min)
10:30

I doubt that the library browsing could be dynamically updated as the system clock ticks upward, so a refresh button in the interface may be appropriate.

One possible use example could be you are hosting a party and it needs to wrap up at a certain time you can browse by completion time and see the movies available to you to watch in the time allotted.
You already have Player.FinishTime or something similar available to the skinning engine while something is playing. It doesn't apply to playlists though.

It also doesn't apply when you are browsing a list. You could make up some smart playlists with the runtime within 15 minute intervals I should think.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Finish Time and Finish Time Library Browsing0