Dropped Frames
Evanrich Wrote:Then you donated to the wrong people, because playback is from ffmpeg, not xbmc....they just use ffmpeg...so go donate to them, not that donating to XBMC is not good, I plan on it as soon as a few more things are fixed

No, because it is not the problem of FFMPEG. It is indeed the problem of the opengl renderer i am pretty sure. I know it because for example ffdshow uses the same libraries and with ffdshow using EVR or VMR9 renderer it is all silky smooth as long as you have the same refresh rate on TV as your movie's fps or using Reclock sync things up.
this may be totally unrelated advice (or may in fact be the advice that will fix your problem) that relates to drivers

in another thread where someone was having audio problems, a few posts deep he informed us that he was using the windows drivers for audio. we are yet to hear back to see if using the manufacturer drivers is going to fix the problem, but there's a high probability that these windows drivers may be the root of his problem

so when everyone says that they've "installed the latest drivers", ensure that they are the drivers from the manufacturer's website -AND- ensure that you're not overwriting them with drivers from windows update (windows is constantly trying to get me to install its own NVIDIA 8500GT drivers every time i upgrade my drivers from the nvidia site)

i hope this helps some or perhaps all of you that are having probs Smile
I'm happy to announce that Vista seems to have solved most of my problems Big Grin

There is still some dropped frames, but the whole XBMC experience is a lot smoother and hassle free.

Very happy now
nathanashton Wrote:I'm happy to announce that Vista seems to have solved most of my problems Big Grin

There is still some dropped frames, but the whole XBMC experience is a lot smoother and hassle free.

Very happy now

so which version of xbmc do you use now?
cheers,azido :;):
nathanashton Wrote:I'm happy to announce that Vista seems to have solved most of my problems Big Grin

Very happy now

What is your agv frame drop now? Did you try windows XP? I have almost the same setup and might test this on windows.
quake101 Wrote:What is your agv frame drop now? Did you try windows XP? I have almost the same setup and might test this on windows.

I was using Windows XP SP2 originally. Just installed Vista Ultimate SP1.

Average frame drop is between 3 and 8 even for 1080p, which is better than I was getting before. The interface also seems snappier in my opinion, and the overall experience a little "smoother"

Could be Vista, could just be me Laugh but either way I'm happier with the results
nathanashton Wrote:Hi Guys,

IM running XBMC on Windows XP SP2 and am getting some "non fluid" video playback. When I press "O" to bring up the details, the dropped frame count is always around 13 - 30. This is for both lowish quality SD and HD Content. MP4's H264, MKV and AVI's also.

Im running a Gigabyte 73- SM something or other with AMD 4850E CPU and Geoforce 8200 onboard, 2GB Ram, outputting over HDMI to 32 inch TV.

VSync is on. Upscaling is turned off (with it on there is no difference). CPU usage only gets up to 40% for 1080P MKVs.

I downloaded and ran the KillaSample and had 90 dropped frames, but I get the impression that is quite normal.

Any ideas / suggestions.

Cheers

4850E is not a strong processor for XBMC.
in order to run smoothly in XBMC you need at least AMD 6000+ or Intel e7200.
use MediaPortal (with HAALI+CoreAVC+FFDSHOW) instead and everything will run smooth.
I have CoreAVC installed also, and I do admit it runs video beautifully. Even the KillaSample runs 95% perfect.

The 4850e I have setup is completely silent and runs extremely cool. I don't plan on running Crysis on my HTPC, so suits me perfectly.
staticx Wrote:4850E is not a strong processor for XBMC.
in order to run smoothly in XBMC you need at least AMD 6000+ or Intel e7200.
use MediaPortal (with HAALI+CoreAVC+FFDSHOW) instead and everything will run smooth.

That's odd. He just said with vista he only drops around 3-8 frames for 1080p content. Sounds to me like it handles the load fine.

I have the same processor and every other player (mplayer, totem, vlc) does not have the same dropped frames issue. IMHO don't blame the processor.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dropped Frames0