"My Games" section in the main/start-menu?
i would like to have my games & apps in the main menu. when you first startup xbmc you have the

programs
music
videos
etc.

i would like to have games and apps also in the main menu without going through programs/explorer

i tried something but it did not work:

Quote: <mygames>
<bookmark>
<name>f drive</name>
<path>f:\games</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>dvd</name>
<path>d:\</path>
</bookmark>
</mygames>

how would i accomplish what i want? any help appreciated!
hey,
what i would like to do is remove the my picture and my music buttons and replace them with my program buttons.

i have edited the orginal my programs so that it is called "games" and just shows 1 directory with my games in it. (by editing home.xml and strings.xml and myprograms.xml)

i would then like to edit "my pictures" so that it is called "emulation" and when opened just opens my emulation folder. in order for that to work the button will need the same functionality as the original "my programs" so that it goes looking for .xbe files.

i hope that makes sense Smile
bump, i know that in order for it to show up as games in the main menu you would have to skin a button for it.  i would like to change the my pictures menu to show my games insted (i will reskin the button for it) but the thing is when i have my pictures show the contents pf my games folder in the root menu there still is the menu on the left that has the slideshow, tumbnails, ect options... i want it to have a scan button and configurable like the my programs menu.

in what file is the my programs settings embeded in. is there a way just to duplicate the my programs menu... so there is a second one.

thanks
(busyychild @ june 18 2004,11:04 Wrote:is there a way just to duplicate the my programs menu... so there is a second one.
no, so moving this to the feature suggestions forum
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(bexta @ may 25 2004,18:57 Wrote:i would then like to edit "my pictures" so that it is called "emulation" and when opened just opens my emulation folder. in order for that to work the button will need the same functionality as the original "my programs" so that it goes looking for .xbe files.
it is not possible for a end-user to change the function of a section via xml's, those functions are 'hardcoded' in xbmc's source code
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
(bexta @ may 25 2004,18:57 Wrote:hey,
what i would like to do is remove the my picture and my music buttons and replace them with my program buttons.

i have edited the orginal my programs so that it is called "games" and just shows 1 directory with my games in it. (by editing home.xml and strings.xml and myprograms.xml)

i would then like to edit "my pictures" so that it is called "emulation" and when opened just opens my emulation folder. in order for that to work the button will need the same functionality as the original "my programs" so that it goes looking for .xbe files.

i hope that makes sense Smile
busyychild this is quite possible, and i am about to do it right now, i will post a pic when im done! Nod

what i am simply trying to state here is that the features you guys want can be implemented by editing or creating a new skin.

Quote:it is not possible for a end-user to change the function of a section via xml's, those functions are 'hardcoded' in xbmc's source code
gamester17 that is true, but i can make it so that the skin works in that fashion. all i would need to do is edit the labels and set the default tag of the xboxmediacenter xml so that when he clicked on emulators on the home page, his emulator apps would pop up! :kickass:
reading must be magical or something, it's how i find all da anwsers!
------
Ubuntu 8.10 (64bit) | AMD Sempron 2600+ | ATi 2400HD Pro | Asus AE1 Barebone ---- Ubuntu 9.04RC (64bit) | AMD 5000+ | BIOSTAR TA790GX XE w/ ATi 3300
yes, you can change the string labels, and yes you can put more than one link to a window, but you cannot have two copies of a section with different configurations.

for example, while you can make two copies of "my programs" and call them "my games" and "my apps", they will both see whatever bookmarks are under your <myprograms> section in xboxmediacenter.xml
Sad 
hi,

i would be very nice to have an "my games" <bookmark> that allows me to list the games on the hdd.

i have configures xbmc as my default dashboard and have to go to the "my files" section, find a game and execute the default.xbe in the game folder.

it would be great with a "my games" list ... especially considering that xbmc are running in an enviroment that was build for playing ... games ;-)
read the manual :nuts:
Thumbs Up 
that normally helps ;-)
i think that while you can do something like that, he might have been getting at the fact that you can't completely set a root bookmark for games, and this is something i wish could be done too.

for example, i dont believe you can customize the "my programs" or any of the other main menu names. you are stuck with what you have as they are a part of the skin.

it would be cool if you could have an "my apps" and "my games" or to even be able to ditch the "my" part and make 2 main menu entries as "applications" and "games."

i do realize that inside the "my programs" you can set it to default to games, and also create custom bookmarks, but it would be nice to have those back at the main menu.

that might have been his point
i want to be able to create another main menu button called my games and also keep my programs, so just editing the strings.xml won't work for me. with the my games i would like it to work similar to the my programs and have the default directory set to f:\games and have the bookmarks:
online gaming, games, emulators and dvd.
with the my programs option i want the default directory set to f:\apps and the bookmarks without online gaming (kai link) and just have: apps and dvd.

they way i thought i could do that was by coping the myprograms.xml file in my particular skin and make a duplicate called mygames.xml and edit them appropriatly with different ids. and then in the xboxmediacenter.xml file add the extra menu button option:

Quote:<button>
<description>games</description>
<label>my games</label>
<execute>xbmc.activatewindow(3753)</execute>
<icon>102</icon>
</button>

the button won't activate anything at all and yes the ids are the same. my second problem with this way is that in the xboxmediacenter.xml you have to edit the <myprograms> section to setup default folder and edit bookmarks. how would i be able to make a <mygames> section and let it associate with the mygames.xml?

so am i on the right track at all? will this method work or am i completely missing the boat here? how else could i do this?

peace
sean
you are missing the boat. it can't be done.

what you need to do is come up with a command syntax that makes sense for us to use. eg activatewindow() works nicely at the moment - we need an alternative command that will do 2 things:

1. activate the appropriate window.
2. show the appropriate directory.

think of a decent command structure that could accomplish this, and we'll see what we can do.

i ues this in xboxmediacenter.xml and the effect gives what you want. if set to icons, when you turn xbox on you click my programs and you immideatly see all your games as icons due to its being set as the default. you don't really need to change my programs when used like this

<!-- my programs !-->
<myprograms>
<default>f:\games\</default>
<bookmark>
<name>games</name>
<path>f:\games\</path>
<depth>1</depth>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>emulators</name>
<path>e:\emulators\</path>
<depth>1</depth>