• 37(current)
[RELEASE] Hulu (Video) Plugin for XBMC
Well, it wasn't there yesterday when I was testing. I admit that yesterday was my first time messing with rtmpdump, though.

I have a debug log from yesterday for a particular episode and the PID is 32 characters long with no tilde characters. The same show today has a huge PID with a tilde dead center. This output is from the get_hulu perl script that comes with rtmpdump.
This is probably not really news, but I figured I'd mention that get_hulu/rtmpdump (on Linux) also does not work:

Code:
rtmpdump-v1.3d> perl get_hulu http://www.hulu.com/watch/31944/family-guy-chips 0
Found CID: 10019116
Found PID: 1906c4710e2f5fa6e0dbdae3edde7d32eb05d2f98b04cb88e2d84e64d8b27257~13ff26a0ec7315411f2128b0ca04ec8f6d98f169c75b97cdc7e0d88b6681651e
File does not exist: Media is not available at get_hulu line 93
The MythTV Hulu plugin, mythvodka, also stopped working this morning. One of the people on the mythbuntu forum pointed out that this happened at the same time as hulu pulled out of tv.com.

( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p...ost6758195 )
lots of shitty news from the Hulu camp..

http://news.google.com/news?oe=utf-8&rls...earch+News

Assuming this has an affect, on the scraping other media apps were doing as well
Ok - Here's what I've been able to verify so far. Using Wireshark, I've traced a browser session, to watch the same show that I was able to pull down with rtmpdump yesterday. In my trace, I see the request going for the original PID that I saw yesterday. I hard-coded that pid into the get_hulu.pl file, and I pulled down that entire show just fine.

So, rtmpdump isn't broken - it still works just fine, as long as you have the right pid. I think the player.swf file has been updated so that it performs some sort of calculation to get the real pid from the "encrypted pid". That explains why no one is complaining about this on the boxee forum, as I think they use the player.swf file to actually play the content.

Edited to add: According to news sites, hulu is going to break for boxee too... Huh
ptaylor Wrote:Ok - Here's what I've been able to verify so far. Using Wireshark, I've traced a browser session, to watch the same show that I was able to pull down with rtmpdump yesterday. In my trace, I see the request going for the original PID that I saw yesterday. I hard-coded that pid into the get_hulu.pl file, and I pulled down that entire show just fine.

So, rtmpdump isn't broken - it still works just fine, as long as you have the right pid. I think the player.swf file has been updated so that it performs some sort of calculation to get the real pid from the "encrypted pid". That explains why no one is complaining about this on the boxee forum, as I think they use the player.swf file to actually play the content.

Edited to add: According to news sites, hulu is going to break for boxee too... Huh

Which is exactly how it has worked all along. The fact that we were able to grab an unecrpyted PID from the content ID page was just a fluke on Hulu's part (or maybe it was on purpose, anyways they decided not to give it out anymore).

Decompiling their player.swf & figuring out how they decode the encrypted PID is the only option. Unfortunately, it is definitely an exercise in obfuscation, with lots of lines like for loc0 in loc3[_loc8[loc2]].

I don't speak actionscript, and even if I did I'm not sure I'd be having much more luck than I have in the 1/2 hour or so that I looked at it, so any any help in this area would be welcome.

EDIT:: r636 removes Hulu from plugin repo
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
nymart Wrote:I don't have a menu key on my keyboard, but I have it mapped in my remote and while it brings up the context menu...there is no option that says Plugin Settings. Same when I right click with a mouse...

So still no luck in finding settings. I have the option on the Apple Tralers plugin, so I am guessing that I must have just done something wrong on the install. Any suggestions? I just unzipped it and copied the contents to my Plugin folder. Should I have done something else?
Gigabyte Mobo Integrated Nvidia 8200
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.1 Ghz)
4 GB Ram
Windows XP SP3
HDMI Video & SPDIF Audio Output to HK Receiver
Using onboard REALTEK HD AUDIO Drivers
Panasonic AX-200 Projector
it's kind of pointless now since hulu seems to have blocked access
As someone with no experience writing plugins posing a question to the great plugin writers of XBMC:

Is this a temporary issue that you see as fixable, or is this essentially the death of Hulu on XBMC?
rwparris2 Wrote:Decompiling their player.swf & figuring out how they decode the encrypted PID is the only option. Unfortunately, it is definitely an exercise in obfuscation, with lots of lines like for loc0 in loc3[_loc8[loc2]].

I don't speak actionscript, and even if I did I'm not sure I'd be having much more luck than I have in the 1/2 hour or so that I looked at it, so any any help in this area would be welcome.

I've spent about the last 2-3 hours looking through the decompiled player.swf file. The tool I used gave me good readable code (not the loc0 in loc3 stuff you referenced), but I think it has some issues with decompiling portions of the code, and some of the code just doesn't seem to make much sense (not that I'm an actionscript guy).

Although, I have found something interesting.. I'll PM you about it.
timdog82001 Wrote:it's kind of pointless now since hulu seems to have blocked access

Blocked Access? How?
ptaylor Wrote:Although, I have found something interesting.. I'll PM you about it.

I'm looking at the AS too. Would you mind including me in the PM?
Integrating with XBMC through the JSON-RPC interface?

Try the JSON-RPC Browser

For the curious:

To stream from Hulu, we need a video's "pid". This pid is required to obtain the location of the stream, which is then passed on to xbmc.

Before Hulu's recent changes, we were able to grab the pid from an xml file that described the video.

However, the pid listed on that page is now encrypted. Until we figure out how to decrypt it, we simply cannot access the streams.

So to answer rashid420's question, they blocked access by encrypting necessary information.

To answer CptKen, yes, it is "fixable", but whether or not it actually will be fixed depends on how smart the XBMC community is, and how much time we want to put into this.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
I guess it'll be Playon then... :-( And I missed out on the beta-tester discount.
angrycamel Wrote:I'm looking at the AS too. Would you mind including me in the PM?

rwparris2 suggested that I post here anyhow, so here it is:

There is a separate swf file (sec.swf) that gets pulled down in the video viewing process that seems to include code looking for the "~", and lots of code that does all sorts of calculations. It may just be something to throw us off the scent though...
  • 37(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Hulu (Video) Plugin for XBMC1