Settings won't save!
I'm using XBMC for Windows on XP, running Aeon skin (if that helps).

Every time I quit XBMC, the changes I make to the settings (choosing background art, setting paths, display options, etc) are gone upon loading the program.

Am I missing something? Is there something I need to do for the settings to save? :confused2:
are you running xbmc from the shortcut provided or are you running xbmc.exe directly ?
Are you launching it using the shortcuts or the xbmc.exe?
you guys might want to explain...

if you are using a shortcut that launches 'xbmc.exe /p' the settings are saved in your user profile... and loaded from there.

if you launch only 'xbmc.exe' it will save/load settings from 'C:\Programs\XBMC Media Center'

make sure you are consistently using the one you want (depending on where you want to save your UserData (settings).
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Hmm.. I am running the xbmc.exe located in my Program Files\XBMC folder (NOT a shortcut).

To be exact, I run it in an odd way... using a 3rd party application to launch the .exe so that it opens only in my 2nd monitor, full screen. Should I be launching it by shortcut instead?
The tool/util you launch it with is inconsequential.

There is one bug that I found if you have used /p to launch it in the past it can mess up things when you do not use /p

I suggest you delete the UserData folder in
\\htpc\c$\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\XBMC

then try making the setting changes and see if they stick.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin Wrote:The tool/util you launch it with is inconsequential.

There is one bug that I found if you have used /p to launch it in the past it can mess up things when you do not use /p

I suggest you delete the UserData folder in
\\htpc\c$\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\XBMC

then try making the setting changes and see if they stick.

Thanks for the tip.. unfortunately this didn't work. Settings are gone when I re-open the app. Any other ideas? I'm not sure I understand the /p thing anyway..
likelly the good ol' extended-char-in-username problem?
spiff Wrote:likelly the good ol' extended-char-in-username problem?

Oh, I had that one yesterday! It made it kind of hard setting up my library. Damn Swedish alphabet! Oo
spiff Wrote:likelly the good ol' extended-char-in-username problem?

Ahh.. so if my PC username is something like:

The Smith's Computer

.. that could be the problem?
zewthenimp Wrote:Ahh.. so if my PC username is something like:

The Smith's Computer

.. that could be the problem?

Nope, it's just characters with ascii > 127. But that's why they invented utf...
LolitaRainking Wrote:Nope, it's just characters with ascii > 127. But that's why they invented utf...

Yea that didn't help me anyway. My problem is bigger than I thought.. not just the settings that don't save. For some reason all the paths that I added (folders with videos, etc) are all gone. They used to save each time I opened the program. What happened?
Do you have a xbmc folder in the documents and settings/profile/application data-folder? If so, back it up, remove it and try with an empty folder. Paths are stored at the same path as the settings, so it makes sense.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Settings won't save!0