Skin for Kids -
I've been looking but haven't found any that work well for the youngsters

anyone interested in making a very very simple skin for very young kids, like 3-6 years old .

big buttons, no crazy options, no text really needed except the name, posters and image driven ui

simple flow for simple minds Big Grin

basically xbmc opens, posters are displayed for movies or episodes of shows (yeah in the same view if possible) and that's about it except for big play stop pause buttons.

library and non-library mode would be helpfull, but mostly it'll be library mode.
That's a great idea Nod
make it start up on library mode and auto play shuffled playlist. then a dancemat type controll with play, pause, stop, arrows (left\right in menu and next\last when playback) and you have urself a digital nanny Tongue
zwat Wrote:make it start up on library mode and auto play shuffled playlist. Then a dancemat type controll with play, pause, stop, arrows (left\right in menu and next\last when playback) and you have urself a digital nanny :p

ahahah

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
I love the idea of a kid-focused UI. My 4 year-old can get around Aeon-Hitched ok, but he gets confused if something doesn't work like he expects (like getting into settings by mistake or a menu).
fekker Wrote:I've been looking but haven't found any that work well for the youngsters

anyone interested in making a very very simple skin for very young kids, like 3-6 years old .

big buttons, no crazy options, no text really needed except the name, posters and image driven ui

simple flow for simple minds Big Grin

basically xbmc opens, posters are displayed for movies or episodes of shows (yeah in the same view if possible) and that's about it except for big play stop pause buttons.

library and non-library mode would be helpfull, but mostly it'll be library mode.

Ellipsis (http://www.TeamBlackbolt.co.uk) has this as one of it's major goals.

The idea behind it's design is that the text labels aren't the important bits, it's so children can watch videos and such using a really easy interface. Also once the skin gets released, really soon, I want to make a kids theme that's all doodles and crayon drawings to make the interface appeal to kids more.
Team Blackbolt - Digital Design
Twitter.com/TeamBlackbolt | TeamBlackbolt.co.uk
Sounds awsome blackbolt.. can't wait for the crayon theme Wink H3ck can't wait for the initial thene either.. I too have kids that use xbmc but they currently get on best with a slimmed down aeon.
Ellipsis looks the DB's - nothing's dragged me away from xTV yet - but this just might :-D

As for a kids theme the wii style theme (xii) available from here:
http://sshcs.com/xbmc/?mode=Skins (last skin in scrollable list on right) might do the trick? Not sure it's being/been updated anymore?

Cheers
I think a skin targeted for the younger audience is a great idea. I could definitely make use of one.
I like Basis-101 for my kids, 5 and 2, with an xbox controller they get around just fine. Basic Icons on the home screen, i set it to go directly to videos, and only have one source to choose from. Make sure your thumbs are good and use the big DVD icons and they'll know what everything is.

I like the dance style controller idea...Nod
Good info for sure, love the dance pad idea !!

I'll check out the Ellipsis for kids, it's sounds like that will be a good one.

In the interm, i'll give the basic 101 a try.. the current problem is when a dialog or anything other then the movie starts (or when the little one smashes the keyboard Big Grin)
I've though about building an arcade spinner with a button to use with a young child. They could scroll left and right on the menu with the spinner, and click to get in or out of the video. I don't think you could get simpler controls than that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin for Kids -0