XBMC Live Upgrade Path
succo Wrote:i don't know if you can, but you can update an usb stick image, which will be able to install on another usb stick the updated system, i guess

If you have the upcoming release or svn iso, you can upgrade your usb disk. Mount both the iso and your usb disk and then copy the following files from the iso

vmlinuz
rootfs.img
initrd0.img
restrictedDrivers.amd.img
restrictedDrivers.nvidia.img

to your usb disk.

In this method I suppose your usb disk was made using the Live CD's the build in makeusb script and their boot method has not been changed (kernel options for example).
l.capriotti Wrote:doesn't work that way, sorry Wink

it's because the upgrades go to the 'filesystem' file, isn't it? and, if it's that way, would i be able to create another live-key (even with the old filesystem) from an upgraded key?
not sure to get the point but today you can create a Live USB from the Live CD only.
Things may change in future releases.
i thought it could be done from a live-usb too, as at boot there is option '0' to install to an usb key...
btw, completely ot... i don't see many italians around here, am i wrong?
s7mx1 Wrote:If you have the upcoming release or svn iso, you can upgrade your usb disk.

Is there any svn for the liveiso ?? I haven't found one.
Slightly (completely) offtopic for this thread, but is the plan for the foreseeable future sticking with ubuntu as a base for the live distro?
hazeh Wrote:Slightly (completely) offtopic for this thread, but is the plan for the foreseeable future sticking with ubuntu as a base for the live distro?
Yes that is off-topic, please start a new separate thread (in the feature suggestion forum).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I´ve got a strange problem. The first time I burned my beta 2 iso to cd and chose option zero to install to a flash disk, everything worked fine. However, when I recently tried to reinstall beta 2 to my flash disk, instead of the opportunity to choose media I came directly to the xbmc login prompt. I´ve tried several times and also with a new iso download, but always with the same result. I have also tried to copy the img-files mentioned earlier in this thread but then xbmc wouldn´t start.

Is there a way to start the "install to disk" from xbmc login prompt on beta 2 iso? Or can I upgrade to beta 2 via the upgrade command? (I don´t want the latest SVN though)
Here's a new question, related to the question about updating LiveUSB. I installed from Atlantis Live to an 8GB USB key, and then while trying to get some stuff to work tried apt-get update / apt-get upgrade. Unfortunately, dpkg fails at the end of the upgrade, and now I can't run apt-get [anything] because it says that I have to re-run dpkg to reconfigure.

It looks like it's trying to set up something in /boot, which Live doesn't use.

How can I get back to a working system? Do I have to re-install Live to my USB key and start over?
Snowflake Wrote:Here's a new question, related to the question about updating LiveUSB. I installed from Atlantis Live to an 8GB USB key, and then while trying to get some stuff to work tried apt-get update / apt-get upgrade. Unfortunately, dpkg fails at the end of the upgrade, and now I can't run apt-get [anything] because it says that I have to re-run dpkg to reconfigure.

It looks like it's trying to set up something in /boot, which Live doesn't use.

How can I get back to a working system? Do I have to re-install Live to my USB key and start over?

This is exactly what I ran into the other day, I was trying to compile a custom kernel on a test bed. The upgrade update (updates 8:10) as well and it is looking for the .configure file which is normally in your /boot or /grub/boot directory which live does not use. So the update is trying to update the current config and cannot find it.

I just tried this as well and it creates an update to the intramfs.img or tried to and cannot find the file or directory as it is looking for it in the boot directory. I cannot get dpkg to work correctly either every time I get a error (2). I tried to purge it and reinstall but no dice.

Dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live Upgrade Path0