No sound after upgrade to Hardy
Hi,
just wanted to share something I encountered following an upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy on my HTPC which is obviously running XBMC.

Basically the sound settings at the Kubuntu level kept getting reset to really low or 0% values so whenever I booted up I had no sound in XBMC. I had to fire up alsamixer from a shell and adjust the levels up and all would be fine until the next reboot.

For some reason there is an initialisation script that resets the alsamixer settings so I disabled the sym-links to this and this worked out fine for me:

Code:
sudo mv /etc/rc0.d/K50alsa-utils /etc/rc0.d/k50alsa-utils
sudo mv /etc/rc6.d/K50alsa-utils /etc/rc6.d/k50alsa-utils

The strange thing is that the actual script at /etc/init.d/alsa-utils seems to have reasonable default values so not sure why my main volume controls were being set to zero.

But the above workaround is fine for me so thought I would share.

Cheers,

Hitman
Well, I thought that my sound issue was resolved, but I was wrong. I'll keep plugging away at it!
This is why you NEVER use an OS's "upgrade" feature. Just do a clean install.
Normally I would agree, but this is the only problem I have faced after upgrade, everything else seems fine. Also, I think my problem started because Hardy apparently has the sound turned down by default and my messing with stuff probably dug me in a bit deeper!

I just need to figure out what is resetting the sound, as I am sure I have seen some strange things in alsamixer straight after bootup even though I have disabled all the alsa init scripts.
OK, this one was annoying me. I took althekiller's advice and did a fresh install and have to say that I am glad that I did.

Fresh install of 8.04 and the PPA xbmc packages are working great.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound after upgrade to Hardy0