xbmc live Vs xbmc PC Vs xbmc Linux ? which one?
Just a quick question, which would give me the best performance, i know the pc vesion will always be a little slower, but will unbuntu with xbmc be better than the live version, or just as good? i`m wanting to do a live install to the hdd and its just for media, as its to replace my xbox version (never thought anything would).

xbmc live = having trouble with drivers etc etc

is it worth installing unbuntu and getting it to autoload xbmc?

thanks
It's the same, Live is just in an easy to install package to simplify people with no linux knowledge shooting themselves in the foot.
althekiller Wrote:It's the same, Live is just in an easy to install package to simplify people with no linux knowledge shooting themselves in the foot.

no problems, i understand that, but i was just asking for opinions as to performance, i.e. ive tried xp > xbmc on my single core atom setup, the HD skin seems a little flaky, however running the same HD skin on my single core atom machine through the live cd, the response is much better, so much as to say no noticeable lag at all.

anyway, i`m trying my dual core atom system with the live install on a hdd

cheers
thecheekymonkey Wrote:no problems, i understand that, but i was just asking for opinions as to performance, i.e. ive tried xp > xbmc on my single core atom setup, the HD skin seems a little flaky, however running the same HD skin on my single core atom machine through the live cd, the response is much better, so much as to say no noticeable lag at all.

anyway, i`m trying my dual core atom system with the live install on a hdd

cheers

single core atom (there's more than one flavor of these) is equal to or slower than the CPU in the AppleTV. Running xp under XBMC is going to be a killer of performance.

dual-core atom is faster, I also have one of these in addition to numerous AppleTVs. It's a test bed for XBMC for Linux.

The dual-core atom seems to be able to handle all 720p content. Add a PCI nvidia and possible in the future it might handle all h.264 content under VDPAU.
davilla Wrote:single core atom (there's more than one flavor of these) is equal to or slower than the CPU in the AppleTV. Running xp under XBMC is going to be a killer of performance.

dual-core atom is faster, I also have one of these in addition to numerous AppleTVs. It's a test bed for XBMC for Linux.

The dual-core atom seems to be able to handle all 720p content. Add a PCI nvidia and possible in the future it might handle all h.264 content under VDPAU.

hi, its thhe D201GLY2 that i am currently using for my xbox replacement system, so far now, so good, just set it up with xbmc live on the hdd (installed) , managed to sort my audio out Big Grin and finally got the xbopx 1 remote working, so now all is well.

performance wise its definately better, the 720`s now run flawlessly whereas under a windows > xbmc system they worked well but there was a bit of flicker / judder

well impressed Big Grin

1080p is still a no, no thought for this little board / chip, however its all working out of the box , with only having to turn the volume up for the sound and to install the remote, everything else worked fine.
thecheekymonkey Wrote:D201GLY2 ...720`s now run flawlessly

Am I to understand that the Celeron 220 is running "scene" 720p mkv files under Linux smoothly with 0 dropped frames?

And the same is the case for dual core ATOM?

If so, then both the new and old EEE box (ATOM and Celeron versions) should be the ultimate 720p mkv box. DVI and SPDIF output means digital video and ac3/dts pass-through.

I've seen some conflicting reports, can somebody clarify? I really think we need a 720p killa sample, any ideas?
freddyflinty Wrote:Am I to understand that the Celeron 220 is running "scene" 720p mkv files under Linux smoothly with 0 dropped frames?

And the same is the case for dual core ATOM?

If so, then both the new and old EEE box (ATOM and Celeron versions) should be the ultimate 720p mkv box. DVI and SPDIF output means digital video and ac3/dts pass-through.

I've seen some conflicting reports, can somebody clarify? I really think we need a 720p killa sample, any ideas?

well to my eye, the dual atom is running fine, is there a way to find out if its dropping frames? i`ll have a look tonight when i view "mongol" 720 mkv Big Grin

definately better running it via installed live!

let me knwo what ever, i`ll try it Big Grin
in the windows version, just hit "O" key to display statistics, including dropped frames.
The keymap is platform independent.
ok, no problems, ive worked it out, have used xbmc for years on the xbox.

anyways, mongol h264 1280x544 mkv file

streamed over network on my dual atom system , with 2 gig ram

13 frames dropped, i understand it drops frames on startup?

anyways, it only drops frames when i pause and then play, but whilst playing no frames get dropped!

Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc live Vs xbmc PC Vs xbmc Linux ? which one?0