• 8(current)
HDMI AUDIO a Success finally
Hi guys, Do you know if a similar setup to this will work on the Acer Revo?

I have got everything up and running except surround sound. When i turn dolby and DTS on i get 'noise' so i have to downmix. I have searched everywere!

Thanks
foxie2 Wrote:Hi guys, Do you know if a similar setup to this will work on the Acer Revo?

I have got everything up and running except surround sound. When i turn dolby and DTS on i get 'noise' so i have to downmix. I have searched everywere!

Thanks

Yes! I have the same problem. Would be very nice to have the solution for this.
foxie2 Wrote:I have got everything up and running except surround sound. When i turn dolby and DTS on i get 'noise' so i have to downmix.

I have my Zotac ION MB connected to my AMP and the AMP to the TV all with HDMI. So my AMP gets the sound from HDMI.

In other to test other scenarios I have connected the PC to the TV with HDMI and then TV to the AMP by SPDIF (optical or coxial). When I try to send the surround (AC3 and DTS) signal by xbmc, the AMP sounds only loud noise (even in DTS case forcing the AMP to decode the noise as DTS).

So I propose that if this is your case, test to connect the SPDIF to your AMP directly and configure the both digital out to iec958 and analog to plug:iec958.

I don't know if Acer Revo has SPDIF output, but if not maybe you will have to wait until the driver support some headers frame needed in such cases but I currently don't know anything about HDMI frame parameters nor why some TV didn't forward the surround to the AMP.
hey plue

I have my setup just like yours i.e. hdmi to amp then hdmi to tv. I dont use the sound on the tv and it doesnt have an spdif out to test.

The Acer revo doesnt have an spdif out only analog or HDMI. I think we may have to wait until nvidia update the drivers to include this in linux. It is capable of 7.1 surround but that must only be windows. The strange thing is i get noise which means something is being sent via hdmi.
foxie2 Wrote:Hi guys, Do you know if a similar setup to this will work on the Acer Revo?

Thanks

I have solved the problem. It's related to your receiver or tv. I bought a new receiver (Onlyo 507) and all my problems are gone now. With AC3 and DTS enabled I no longer have the noise sound!
Ozman Wrote:I have followed this guide (and a number of others first), but I cannot get hdmi audio.

Specs
MB M3N78-EM
Arch linux (built 2 days ago)
xbmc (svn from 2 days ago)
42" lcd tv
alsa 1.020

Steps
Bios set to internal + external codec, hdmi out
.asoundrc as suggested in /home/xbmc
xbmc settings as suggested ( I have also tried "hdmi + default" and "hdmi x2"

I have also tried the tv settings with pcm/auto and mpeg/dolby.

am I missing something (apart from sound Huh)?

I have the same board, running Ubuntu Jaunty. Have you tested both mp3 and ac3 audio?

Within XBMC I only get ac3 and dts audio files to play, files with mp3 audio just play but no sound.
The weird thing is in Totem and Rythmbox I can play mp3 just not in XBMC.

Anybody got a clue?
im pretty sure its not my reciever as i know the same receiver will play 5.1 from the ps3 using lpcm. I hope its not the receiver as i dont want to have to buy a new one.
I tryed again on a fresh Ubuntu 9.04 install (alsa 1.18).
I got sound outside of XBMC with all files inside XBMC only AC3 and DTS.

I did an update using the script from ubuntuforums to Alsa 1.20 but still the same.

If I have an .asoundrc with

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

I get a the menu click sound in xbmc but still no mp3 audio playback.
Without an asound.conf menu clicks in xbmc don't work but ac3/dts still does.

I tryed a all other suggested asound configs from this thread but allways the same, menu sounds and ac3/dts works...

anybody else got some clever asound.conf for me to try, or any other suggestions?
ok, I hate to say it but you know what fixed this for me? using hdmi instead of HDMI
I guess case matters?
Here's what I did:

This is what worked in Ubuntu Jaunty.

Tell pulse to load the module for hdmi
Code:
In a Terminal do:

sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa

below
Code:
### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load
### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --
### see below -- for doing this automatically)
#load-module module-alsa-sink
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-null-sink
#load-module module-pipe-sink
I added the line
Code:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,3
where 3 is the number your device is listed under with aplay -l

reboot!

in xbmc I have both device and passthrough set to default now instead of hdmi...et voila, sound with all files!

original guide found in German Ubuntu forum

cheers
MAD
This did wonders for me:

aplay -l gives me:

Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

In my case HDMI is card1, device 3 so i run: sudo alsamixer -c 1
Unmuted the device by hitting the M key.
I then saved the volume info: sudo alsactl store 0

Created .asoundrc, located in /home/xbmc/:
sudo nano /home/xbmc/.asoundrc

Code:
pcm.!spdif {
     type hw
     card 1
     device 3
}

pcm.!default {
     type plug
     slave {
           pcm "spdif"
     }
}

And my xbmc is set to:

Code:
- Audio Output: Digital
- Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver: On
- DTS Capable receiver: On
- Audio Output device: default
- Passthrough device: default
- Downmix multichannel audio to stereo: On

Setting the output and passthrough device to "default", matches the naming in asoundrc. I'm not sure if that is related, but it did start to work for me from then on. Also menu sounds work.

Setting "Downmix multichannel audio to stereo" fixed a certain wmv that otherwise would not produce audio. All other media (mkv's) are playing with AC3 or DTS 3/2.1 no problem.

---

I also upgraded my ALSA to 1.0.20, but it only started to work after doing the above things.

Good luck!
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI AUDIO a Success finally4