• 3(current)
HDMI AUDIO a Success finally
Update: Frustration.

Started fresh, with a brand new install of 8.10 Live.
Followed the entire script. The only difference is that the current Alsa script is now 1.15 instead of 1.14. Otherwise, everything went as planned.
Only had to run the install once with the -i flag, alsamixer on the next reboot said I had the right version (1.18) and the right device (NVIDIA MCP7A HDMI).
All playback items in alsamixer unmuted.

But! No audio over HDMI. I switched the iec958 setting to hdmi first, no luck. If I switch the "default" to hdmi, my videos all play back at double-speed. ?!?!?!?!

An aplay -l gives me this (typed by hand, but should be accurate):

Card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1

I seem to recall reading in another thread somewhere that you need to create an alsa config file somewhere that tells it to use card3? Does that ring any bells?

Sigh. So near, yet so far. The video looks great otherwise. Too bad I can't hear it! Smile

Update: running speaker-test doesn't generate any audible output either. I'm using this command:

speaker-test -Dplughw:0,3 -c2
Viewsonic N4285P, ASUS P5N7A-VM, Intel E8500, Mushkin PC28500 2x2GB, Antec Fusion Black 430, Logitech DiNovo Mini, Patriot X-Mini 8GB
Working: 1080p, hdmi audio
Partial: Logitech DiNovo Mini needs 'sudo rmmod usbhid;sudo modprobe usbhid' after boot to make cursor work
Not working: IMON display
Try adding this line to your asound.conf file.
Code:
defaults.pcm.device 3
Device 3, is now your default audio device. For passthrough to work you have to change from IEC958 to default in XBMC audio configuration.
@katzoo:

That's the update I remember seeing somewhere. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the file it's supposed to go in. Where can I find the asound.conf file?

I looked in /etc/ last night for an alsa.conf, aplay.conf, etc. but don't remember seeing an asound.conf there. Not to say that it's *not* there, I just don't remember seeing it and I was looking at all the files that started with "a" pretty closely trying to find something sound related.

Maybe I have to create it, if i'm running an otherwise stock installation maybe there wouldn't be one unless I wanted to change something?
Viewsonic N4285P, ASUS P5N7A-VM, Intel E8500, Mushkin PC28500 2x2GB, Antec Fusion Black 430, Logitech DiNovo Mini, Patriot X-Mini 8GB
Partial: Logitech DiNovo Mini needs 'sudo rmmod usbhid;sudo modprobe usbhid' after boot to make cursor work
I did not have to change any other files than the ones quoted. Are you hooking to a TV or a rcvr.

You also updated the alsa-lib and alsa-utils correct.

If you are hooked into your TV, turn off the radio buttons in audio settings for dts and Dolby Digital.

When you open alsamixer does it say version 1.0.18 at the top of the mixer page.

you are typing hdmi in lower case correct.

Dave
Snowflake - the file is .asoundrc (hidden by default due to the period) and it will be listed in your logged in user's HOME directory - it won't exist by default in my experience. Just create a text file by that name and insert the text. Also note that there's another set of text to try in that file as well that has been suggested to work, I hope to test that this evening. Hope that is clearer for you....

Talked about here -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?got...st&t=34235

Edit: Uh oh, looks like *I* may be the confused one! In my case I needed an .asoundrc file in my home directory. You guys are talking about something in etc which I never had to do! Shocked
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Yeah,you can just create the file.
Code:
sudo pico /etc/asound.conf
rodercot Wrote:I did not have to change any other files than the ones quoted. Are you hooking to a TV or a rcvr.
To a TV. Viewsonic N4285P.

Quote:You also updated the alsa-lib and alsa-utils correct.
Hmm... I followed the script in your first post... That included the alsa-lib and alsa-utils config/make/make install bits. I remember doing it, is there a way to confirm that it all worked?

Quote:If you are hooked into your TV, turn off the radio buttons in audio settings for dts and Dolby Digital.
Thought I tried that last night, but in any case i've done it now.

Quote:When you open alsamixer does it say version 1.0.18 at the top of the mixer page.
Yes.

Quote:you are typing hdmi in lower case correct.
Yes. Right now I have "audio output device" set to default, and "passthrough output device" set to hdmi.

(quick check) Nope, still no go.
Update: SUCCESS! Yippee!

Not sure whether this accomplishes the same thing in a different way or not, but this worked:

This in /home/xbmc/.asoundrc:
Code:
pcm.dmixer {
   type dmix
   ipc_key 1024
   ipc_key_add_uid false
   ipc_perm 0660
   slave {
      pcm "hw:0,3"
      rate 48000
      channels 2
      format S32_LE
      period_time 0
      period_size 1024
      buffer_time 0
      buffer_size 4096
   }
}

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

Audio settings:
digital
off
off

Thanks to BLKMGK, that thread you linked to had these settings. I copied them here just to bring everything into one place. For what it's worth, I believe /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc perform the same function. On a traditional, multi-user system, the one in /etc would perform "system-wide" configuration, and the one in ~/ would perform per-user configuration. In this case, since xbmc always runs as the same user, the distinction is irrelevant (but it's important to know what you've changed, just in case you have to go back and do it again later for some reason... Smile.
I will try swapping some of my settings in XBMC to match your's and see if I get sound in MP3 - are you getting that?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:I will try swapping some of my settings in XBMC to match your's and see if I get sound in MP3 - are you getting that?
Haven't tested that yet, just realized that xbmc doesn't seem to support NFS shares, so i've gotta figure out how to set up Samba shares on my file server (Promise NS4300N).
Oh there's so many peeps to thank now everything is working - BLKMGK, Snowflake, Chaos_666, ashmaston, spozen, rodercot (from various threads)

I have the same board P5N7A-VM, with everything that has been posted here i have sound through HDMI including mp3's and menus.

Just so its clear, following the guide on page 1 of this thread.

Using this in /home/xbmc/.asoundrc:
Code:
pcm.dmixer {
   type dmix
   ipc_key 1024
   ipc_key_add_uid false
   ipc_perm 0660
   slave {
      pcm "hw:0,3"
      rate 48000
      channels 2
      format S32_LE
      period_time 0
      period_size 1024
      buffer_time 0
      buffer_size 4096
   }
}

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

Audio settings:
digital
off
off

Thank-you everyone!!!

EDIT: Incase it matters for someone else, i had to unmute the 'IEC958 1' in alsamixer.
Hey All,

Are you all running hdmi a/v to a TV. I am running the living room through my rcvr and the bedroom machine to a TV.

With DVD playback, I am still getting little skips or pauses here and there but only on DVD playback, Streaming over the network seems fine so far.

Have you guys noticed this at all.

Any ideas!

Thanks,

Dave
My HDMI goes straight to the TV, I haven't put a receiver in my media room yet. Hope to run a set of surround speakers and get a proper receiver eventually so this will eventually become an issue.

For now, everthing sound-wise works. MP3 playback too.
In my case this box is straight to a TV, yeah I am seeing some skips with SD DVDs played from a mounted USB drive. Downloaded 720P content though plays quite smooth Sad I am having other issues with some other DVD played locally too -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42462

Looks like with some tweaks folks have MP3 working, I will try for this tomorrow myself. I swear I'm going to have to get another of these boards for my system just so I can play along with everyone else lol!
Mines going straight to my tv too.

Just tried a retail dvd (Matrix Revolutions) and a self encoded one (Taken) and no issues at all, both play flawlessly. Haven't done anything at all with regards to playing with settings, dvdrom cache is at 4096kb which is default i think, only fitted the drive today. Sorry rodercot no suggestions but if you want me to post any of my settings just let me know.

Your right BLKMGK, i'm glad i've had peeps progressing along at the same time as me with the same board, never happens to me too often, lol.

On a side note, my only issues now which aren't massively important is a loud psu (small form factor one so no decent replacements about) and hopefully getting my system to suspend and then power back on from remote.
XBMCLive, Acer REVO R3700, Philips SRM-5100 MCE Remote ~ 7TB unRaid Storage - HP ProLiant MicroServer
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI AUDIO a Success finally4