• 2(current)
Those affected by the intel gfx tearing/vsync issues
XBMC does NOT use EVR.
ashlar Wrote:XBMC does NOT use EVR.

It definately does something. Vista without Aero tears and with Aero its gone. Aero turns on EVR that fixes the problem.

Azido, have you tried turning off Vsync in XBMC and turning Vsync on for all apps in Catalyst CC? I've read that works for numerous ATI users.
HexusOdy, Aero does far more than just "turns on EVR". If something fixes the problem it cannot have anything to do with EVR.

EVR is a video renderer, nothing more nothing less. XBMC does not use EVR for a video renderer. This, as far as I know, is a fact, not an opinion.
Keeping on spreading misinformation is instead annoying. No offense meant but, really...
Its not just my opinion, its been voiced by others on this board.

I know your trying to help, but if your going to try to help can you offer an opinion on what it might be rather than what you think it isn't? If it enables other things aswell then what are they and which of them could be fixing the issue?

I may very well be wrong, but until there is an alternative suggestion on why Aero fixes tearing in Vista for some people I'll stock with EVR Smile
:desperate: I don't have any idea. But the thing is that if somebody goes on mentioning EVR that will stick.
EVR is a Microsoft component http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms694916.aspx, XBMC does not use DirectShow and does not use Media Foundation (it's cross platform, remember?).

While it might well be that Aero activates something that makes things right for you (it's your experience, I'm not negating it) and others, it is not EVR.

Why is it so hard to accept that Aero is solving your problems and EVR can't be part of it?
after a lot of time reading posts and fiddling with the configuration, the only working setup for me [== no tearing] was running the beta2 on my x4500HD [using DVI output, didn't try HDMI] with xp sp3.
i managed, however, to "port" the skins from the more advanced 8.10 so i can enjoy the advanced skins [mediaplayer extended library features] with the beta-2 non-tearing video experience.

when trying to force the system/players files from the working version over an installation of a later release, it didn't work. [at least not with many tweaks like manually changing the video output resolution every time which is a non starter as a solution]. this means that the main XBMC executable has also something to do with this behavior. [i.e., the older version did some sort of a synch with the active refresh rate etc, that newer releases are not doing on startup].

i still wait for a nice closure of this issue as i would like to upgrade in the future and don't want to spend more $$$'s on gfx hw or move to vista.
ashlar Wrote:XBMC does NOT use EVR.

i know that.
but areo seems to alter every gfx output under vista, no matter what's displayed and where it's rendered from. it's like putting another direct3d/directshow filter on top of everything before it hits the user's eye.
cheers,azido :;):
HexusOdy Wrote:It definately does something. Vista without Aero tears and with Aero its gone. Aero turns on EVR that fixes the problem.

Azido, have you tried turning off Vsync in XBMC and turning Vsync on for all apps in Catalyst CC? I've read that works for numerous ATI users.

of course i did that. it definitely reduces tearing, but does not remove it completely for me.

in addition all available 3d options in catalyst set to maximum quality did not fix it.
ashlar Wrote:Why is it so hard to accept that Aero is solving your problems and EVR can't be part of it?

why is it so hard to accept that there can be an additional renderer (called EVR) to render anything that's displayed (no matter where it comes from) when aero is turned on? in my understanding, as soon as you activate aero, your whole display is rendered with directshow/direct3d. why shouldn't this affect underlying renderers? is there any law there can be only one renderer/filter/whatever to display video content and no further post-processing is possible?

also no offense, just thinking.
OK I can confirm that this problem first appeared in rev 16051. All versions before that don't have tearing.

What we could do with testing is another VGA card other than Intel. Anyone here got an ATI or Nvidia they can test it on?

Both 16050 and 16051 are on Jesters SVN build site.

The reason it needs testing is I think there are at least 2 bugs with Vsync, maybe 3. One in XBMC created in 16051, possibly a seperate one for ATI users thats a driver issue and maybe more, who knows.

Thats why it needs some testing on an Nvidia and ATI cards Smile
I tested 16051 on a different PC with an ATI X600 and a different display at 1650 x 1050 native and there was no tearing.

I don't know if this makes a difference and maybe Azido could try it and see if it does, but I use Omega drivers which are custom drivers. Might be worth a shot for someone.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati.php

There are Nvidia drivers there too.
azido Wrote:why is it so hard to accept that there can be an additional renderer (called EVR) to render anything that's displayed (no matter where it comes from) when aero is turned on? in my understanding, as soon as you activate aero, your whole display is rendered with directshow/direct3d. why shouldn't this affect underlying renderers? is there any law there can be only one renderer/filter/whatever to display video content and no further post-processing is possible?

also no offense, just thinking.
First, I have an 8800GT, so I could try the version HexusOdy mentions.

Regarding what you write, azido. You are right, Aero uses Direct3D for everything and it's not hard to accept that that could have an impact on SDL too. It's EVR that has nothing to do with XBMC because XBMC does not call it and it's not something available to something not using DirectShow or Media Foundation (neither of which XBMC uses). Also, EVR is just a video renderer. It's Aero the portion that takes over everything (hence XBMC too).

Clearly, some developers input could give us more insight on what's happening. Wink
HexusOdy Wrote:OK I can confirm that this problem first appeared in rev 16051. All versions before that don't have tearing.

What we could do with testing is another VGA card other than Intel. Anyone here got an ATI or Nvidia they can test it on?

Both 16050 and 16051 are on Jesters SVN build site.

The reason it needs testing is I think there are at least 2 bugs with Vsync, maybe 3. One in XBMC created in 16051, possibly a seperate one for ATI users thats a driver issue and maybe more, who knows.

Thats why it needs some testing on an Nvidia and ATI cards Smile

I've tested new builds on quite a few ATI/Nvidia cards and have not had any problems regarding vsync. (ATI 3450, ATI 4350, Nvidia 8600GT, Nvidia 9400GT, Nvidia 9800gtx)
mitul103 Wrote:I've tested new builds on quite a few ATI/Nvidia cards and have not had any problems regarding vsync. (ATI 3450, ATI 4350, Nvidia 8600GT, Nvidia 9400GT, Nvidia 9800gtx)

please enclose information about your os that is used while testing. also info on which builds exactly were tested might be of interest. did you use default options in xbmc or change vsync/rendering settings? we need input Smile

@hexodus:
Quote:I don't know if this makes a difference and maybe Azido could try it and see if it does, but I use Omega drivers which are custom drivers. Might be worth a shot for someone.

no problem. i'm gonna test both the builds mentioned and the omega drivers on my xp partition and post results here. stay tuned.. Smile

@ashlar:
Quote:Clearly, some developers input could give us more insight on what's happening.

yeah, where is areascout? Smile
I have a feeling that this particular problem with 16051 may just be an Intel problem and not the cause of those with ATI or Nvidia cards and tearing, but testing will tell.

In the mean time I've created a ticket for this.

http://www.xbmc.org/trac/ticket/5508
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Those affected by the intel gfx tearing/vsync issues1