• 4(current)
Those affected by the intel gfx tearing/vsync issues
HexusOdy Wrote:A) command line: xbmc.exe -fs -p
B) XBMC res - 1366 x 768.
C) Desktop - 1366 x 768, 32bpp, 60hz

D) Toggling won't work at that resolution for me but I have heard from other users with the exact same problem as me that \ does work

i'd say you won't even see the difference in fullscreen/windowed mode as long as your desktop size is the same as the size setting in xbmc..
cheers,azido :;):
CapnBry Wrote:I would say it is more of a bug in the Intel drivers than XBMC, where they are apparently only respecting VSync on certain styles of windows or something. Unfortunately the problem becomes difficult to nail down when the driver isn't doing what it is supposed to, and I don't have this hardware so I can't reproduce it.

I'm going to need to know:
A) The command line you're launching xbmc.exe with. Is it -fs or without -fs.
B) What resolution you're running set from the xbmc display options screen. Please be exact here.
C) What your desktop height, width, color depth, and refresh rate are.
D) Does toggling into and out of fullscreen with \ make any difference?

Also, maybe try this version I've whipped up (IntVSync-1) which changes some of the window parameters in a way that might make the driver more happier. If it doesn't help, please answer questions A-D above and post your xbmc.log file to pastebin.

I tried your version in the Link Cap and the Vsync issue is still there.
HexusOdy Wrote:I tried your version in the Link Cap and the Vsync issue is still there.
Darn. Can you try launching it without the -fs option and see if that makes a difference?

EDIT: Also pressing \ does do something even if the screen doesn't look any different, so I'd suggest trying it, then see if there's tearing, pressing it again, see if there's tearing, then finally a 3rd time.
CapnBry Wrote:Darn. Can you try launching it without the -fs option and see if that makes a difference?

EDIT: Also pressing \ does do something even if the screen doesn't look any different, so I'd suggest trying it, then see if there's tearing, pressing it again, see if there's tearing, then finally a 3rd time.

Removing -fs has fixed the problem with tearing in your version Cap, i'll try a later SVN later.
CapnBry, are you a developer? It's confusing to see build suggested when it's not clear what the debugging process happening is like. Smile
Oh snap nice to hear we're moving toward finding a solution. I wonder, if you launch without the -fs then once XBMC comes up press \, does the tearing come back?
ashlar Wrote:CapnBry, are you a developer? It's confusing to see build suggested when it's not clear what the debugging process happening is like. Smile
I'm not an official developer, but I am responsible for changeset 16051 so I feel responsible for whatever is broken by it. The changeset modified the way the XBMC window is created so my IntVSync-1 build changed some of the window flags to see if we could narrow down what the Intel driver is looking for.
Ok, I've tried 16582 just because I already had it and its as good as any later build.

Running it with without -fs doesn't make any difference and still has tearing, so something you did in your build makes a difference to -fs.
Well now comes the fun part, determining which API call makes the difference! The version I posted has a handful of changes in it, now I'll slowly back them out and we'll see at what point the tearing comes back through a process of trial and error. I'd love to say "oh I know why the other way didn't work" but I can't really see any reason why both wouldn't work so we'll have to fumble toward a solution, if you have the time.

Here is a ZIP file (xbmc-IntVSync.zip) containing 6 different xbmc.exe's. These are not installers, just the executable itself. Make sure you have the XBMC-IntVSync-1.exe version installed. Extract the exes to the \program files\xbmc directory then one at a time rename them to xbmc.exe and run each one without the -fs option. Report back which have tearing and which don't. If I had to make a wild guess 0, 1, 2 should work, 3 is iffy, 4, 5, 6 will be broken.

Of course, they could all not work and then I'm really going to be scratching my head. Once we've got it nailed down I post a patch to your ticket and see what Team XBMC thinks.
CapnBry Wrote:Well now comes the fun part, determining which API call makes the difference! The version I posted has a handful of changes in it, now I'll slowly back them out and we'll see at what point the tearing comes back through a process of trial and error. I'd love to say "oh I know why the other way didn't work" but I can't really see any reason why both wouldn't work so we'll have to fumble toward a solution, if you have the time.

Here is a ZIP file (xbmc-IntVSync.zip) containing 6 different xbmc.exe's. These are not installers, just the executable itself. Make sure you have the XBMC-IntVSync-1.exe version installed. Extract the exes to the \program files\xbmc directory then one at a time rename them to xbmc.exe and run each one without the -fs option. Report back which have tearing and which don't. If I had to make a wild guess 0, 1, 2 should work, 3 is iffy, 4, 5, 6 will be broken.

Of course, they could all not work and then I'm really going to be scratching my head. Once we've got it nailed down I post a patch to your ticket and see what Team XBMC thinks.

OK bud, I should have time tomorrow, I'll do it then and report back.
Ok Cap have tested the EXE's.

0,1,2 and 3 work perfectly

4,5 and 6 have tearing.

All tested without -FS, none tested with it on.
Thanks for following through and giving me the opportunity to narrow down the problem, HexusOdy. I'll post the patch with my findings to your ticket later today.
CapnBry Wrote:Thanks for following through and giving me the opportunity to narrow down the problem, HexusOdy. I'll post the patch with my findings to your ticket later today.

No problem Cap. I use XBMC alot, if I can help fix a problem I'm happy too.

If you need anymore help let me know.

It might be worth me testing a later SVN with you patch if you want just to make sure all is well.
How do I switch to full screen when starting xbmc.exe without -fs?
'\' is not working (it does work in r16555 which I have currently installed)
For me, just set your resolution in screen settings to your full screen resolution then restart
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Those affected by the intel gfx tearing/vsync issues1