Help with ASUS P5N7A-VM
There's ONE very vocal guy on the AVS forums claiming issues with the cooling on this board. NVIDIA had issues with their GPUs awhile back pertaining to their surface mount product selection, you probably heard about it. This guy seems to think the problem is still there and that heat makes it an issue on these boards - it's complicated.

Me personally? I am not sweating it. NVIDIA\ASUS are smarter than me, the product is warranted, heat would be a valid issue THEY would be responsible for, and while we will probably see higher temps with hardware acceleration I do not think it will be too bad. Fixing it with a small fan would probably do it.

One thing that is valid though - manufacturers build these boards sort of expecting an Intel style heatsink. That is a heatsink blowing DOWN with the air then passing over whatever radiators these guys put next to the socket. Heatsinks like I have in my desktop are huge and stand up blowing air a totally different way, little radiators around the socket would get little air. I doubt many of US are doing that in an HTPC that we want to be silent but it's something to consider - especially for guys trying to passively cool a CPU!

I'll digress a little more... My first water cooled CPU was done way back before hardware could be purchased and anyone knew jack about what worked, I built it all and I used Peltiers too. My first setup had no radiator, just a BIG contractor sized bucket. In a few days the water was literally steaming hot. So I put a radiator (trans cooler from a car) on it and stuck it outside in the January cold. A few days later the water was AGAIN steaming hot! Snow melting on it worked to extend things but was a PITA. In desperation I put a small fan on it, temps dropped like a ROCK!

Lesson learned - even a small amount of airflow removes the boundary layer of hot air and dramatically improves cooling. Afterward I learned about fun with condensation on CPU pins and then later ICE buildup. (lol) Learned about algae growth in cooling lines screwing up cooling too!

So, airflow is important even if it's only a little bit, go water if you want ultimate cooling. I think we'll be fine with this board. <shrug>
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:One thing that is valid though - manufacturers build these boards sort of expecting an Intel style heatsink. That is a heatsink blowing DOWN with the air then passing over whatever radiators these guys put next to the socket. Heatsinks like I have in my desktop are huge and stand up blowing air a totally different way, little radiators around the socket would get little air. I doubt many of US are doing that in an HTPC that we want to be silent but it's something to consider - especially for guys trying to passively cool a CPU!
This is the only concern I have with my setup... The GPU heatsink isn't very well designed, IMO... Just looking at it, I would expect that they don't have a lot of heat to remove from it. In practise, it seems that this GPU does get hot. Still, if I add the fan to my Scythe heatsink, the fan would sit directly over the GPU heatsink, and wouldn't blow air anywhere near it (one of the closed sides of the fan would be almost right on top of it). Good for cooling the CPU, but perhaps worse than being fanless for the GPU!

If only I could get my temperatures displaying within xbmc so I could see whether it's an issue or not. Any developers watching? Smile
Viewsonic N4285P, ASUS P5N7A-VM, Intel E8500, Mushkin PC28500 2x2GB, Antec Fusion Black 430, Logitech DiNovo Mini, Patriot X-Mini 8GB
Working: 1080p, hdmi audio
Partial: Logitech DiNovo Mini needs 'sudo rmmod usbhid;sudo modprobe usbhid' after boot to make cursor work
Not working: IMON display
You may be able to get LMsensors installed and working, then run an app in the background to do some logging. You could then do some work in XBMC and drop out to see what temps are doing or tail whatever file is being dumped to in an SSH session. Not ideal but it would show you temps while the machine is under stress at least...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Good idea, BLKMGK, maybe i'll try that today if I get some free time. I suspect a lot of oddities with this sytem will "just work" when we get to the next release, so I won't sweat it too much. Rebooting and checking the temps they're all well within what I would consider a normal range, so i'm not really concerned. I'm just a little bothered that the numbers don't show where they're supposed to in xbmc. It's supposed to be perfect! Smile
Viewsonic N4285P, ASUS P5N7A-VM, Intel E8500, Mushkin PC28500 2x2GB, Antec Fusion Black 430, Logitech DiNovo Mini, Patriot X-Mini 8GB
Working: 1080p, hdmi audio
Partial: Logitech DiNovo Mini needs 'sudo rmmod usbhid;sudo modprobe usbhid' after boot to make cursor work
Not working: IMON display

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with ASUS P5N7A-VM0