Help with ASUS P5N7A-VM
Hi There
ashmaston Wrote:One other thing, is i can't manage to have XBMC shutting down my computer. I am using the MediaStream skin. I've tried several method, from just setup the shutdown in the XBMC menu to edit an xml file by hand. Each time same result , i hit the shutdown button and nothing happen, i am just going back to the xbmc main menu.

Thanks a lot,
Ash

Just a quick shot:
You should activate and check the debug log.
If you find something like:
Code:
ERROR: DBus: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy ...

This Post might help
So there now seems to be a couple of ppl having an P5n7a-VM and a dinovo mini (including me Laugh ).
I also need a good keymap or solution for the dinovo, so if anybody got a hint,...

THX
Chaos
BLKMGK Wrote:j0bro - are you getting MP3s to play as well?

Appreciate the feedback!

I think, the key for you is enabling IEC958 in volume contol.
Double-click on the volume icon in gnome (upper-right corner), than on the properties, check IEC958, than unmute and give some volume for this in the volume control.
olympia Wrote:I think, the key for you is enabling IEC958 in volume contol.
Double-click on the volume icon in gnome (upper-right corner), than on the properties, check IEC958, than unmute and give some volume for this in the volume control.
Actually, changing volume on S/PDIF (iec958) has no effect. The audio is transmitted digitally to the output so volume has no meaning; sound is only recreated after the digital audio data is interpreted on the other end. You should control volume from your amp or whatever you connect the audio to. This applies to hdmi, optical and coax-connectors as well since they can all transmit sound digitally.
Unmuting is indeed quite necessary though Wink
Asus P5N7A-VM + E8400
Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit
XBMC 9.11
ashmaston Wrote:...
One other thing, is i can't manage to have XBMC shutting down my computer. I am using the MediaStream skin. I've tried several method, from just setup the shutdown in the XBMC menu to edit an xml file by hand. Each time same result , i hit the shutdown button and nothing happen, i am just going back to the xbmc main menu.

I use the start-up/shutdown script posted here which includes shutdown -h now at the end of the startup script

Also run sudo chmod u+s /sbin/shutdown to give permission to users to shutdown
XBMCLive, Acer REVO R3700, Philips SRM-5100 MCE Remote ~ 7TB unRaid Storage - HP ProLiant MicroServer
Okay, working this now.

ALSA mixer has multiple devices. I see chip as Generic 10de NVIDIA MCP7A HDMI. All of the digital stuff is and has been unmuted. That would be IEC958, IEC958 D, and IEC958 1.

If I bring up the volume applet I have multiple devices including HDA NVidia (Alsa mixer) which displays IEC958, IEC958 Default PCM, and IEC958 2. I also see Generic 10de NVIDIA MCP7A HDMI (OSS Mixer) which doesn't see any digital outputs other than PCM-2. I am setting this to HDA NVidia.

asound.rc has the following:
Code:
pcm.dmixer {
   type dmix
   ipc_key 1024
   ipc_key_add_uid false
   ipc_perm 0660
   slave {
      pcm "hw:0,3"
      rate 48000
      channels 2
      format S32_LE
      period_time 0
      period_size 1024
      buffer_time 0
      buffer_size 4096
   }
}

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

In the XBMC sound setup I have Digital selected, AC3 capable checked, DTS capable checked. Audio Output is set to default and so is Passthrough.

No stereo sound but I get the 5.1 stuff fine.Eek

Where have i gone off the railsHuh?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:In the XBMC sound setup I have Digital selected, AC3 capable checked, DTS capable checked. Audio Output is set to default and so is Passthrough.

I had both the AC3 and DTS disabled so i enabled them, rebooted and still had sound so i'm sure that's not your problem.

I'm sure its just a typo put just checking you made a file called .asoundrc not asound.rc?
XBMCLive, Acer REVO R3700, Philips SRM-5100 MCE Remote ~ 7TB unRaid Storage - HP ProLiant MicroServer
yah, typo .asoundrc is correct. I had NO sound until I put something in that file, that file is not what I first used to get it working but changing it to this one didn't hurt and worked for others so I left it Nerd
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Did anybody make "auto refresh rate adjust" work with this board?

It is not working for me, but seems a driver and/ or xorg.conf issue.

By default, I don't have 1920x1080 24Hz at all in XBMC/apperance/screen settings.
If I add "dynamictwinview" "false" to xorg.conf, than I have all the settings from EDID, so like 1920x1080 24Hz, but if I choose this mode, than it seems still stucked at 50Hz.

Actually, it is the same with all other refresh rate. Seems I cannot switch to any other refresh rate, it is always stay at the default...
Honestly I've not mucked with refresh rates at all and the x setup file for my install was pretty bare. I will try to take a look at it today. Last I did to it was change it from 720P to 1080 which made for some overscan but I didn't save the changes anywhere so on next reboot it will likely revert. X sure is a PITA! lol
BLKMGK,
In the meantime, I solved the refresh rate issue with inserting modelines into xorg.conf. Actually I was heavily upgraded my XBMCLive (upgrade nvidia driver, alsa, compile recent XBMC version on it from source), and almost everything works (If anyone intersted I make a step-by-step guide for all of this).

MP3s are playing fine via SPDIF, I might try on hdmi as well, but for my final setup I need SPDIF now.
What is very intersting, that with an E7300 I can play killa sample with stock speed without dropping frames (only 13 in the beggining). I have no clue, why not OK for you without overclocking it.

I have two things which is not yet complete:
1. I was not able to change the default usplash theme in XBMCLive
2. resume was standby is not working at all. Did you tried if it works for you?
(I get "i8042 kbd 000:06: activation failed" message and everything hangs)

Oh, yes, one more thing: Did you ever experienced rebooting issues with your MB? Or just hanging after exiting from BIOS?
olympia Wrote:....
(If anyone intersted I make a step-by-step guide for all of this).

Yes, please!
Also would like to know more about the benefits with XBMC upgrade - mostly to get auto refreshrate change?! Something more?
/O
I'll post this here too, although I started a separate thread just in case it's a problem not unique to this motherboard...

Has anyone got the temperatures displaying in the System Info screens? I only see question marks "?" instead of temperatures in both my CPU temp and my GPU temp. I'd love to see what they actually are.

Also, i'd be curious to hear what others see as CPU activity when viewing the CPU screen. On mine, CPU0 runs at 0.5%, and CPU1 at 95%. Seems rather unbalanced, and rather high on CPU1 when it's just sitting there?
Viewsonic N4285P, ASUS P5N7A-VM, Intel E8500, Mushkin PC28500 2x2GB, Antec Fusion Black 430, Logitech DiNovo Mini, Patriot X-Mini 8GB
Working: 1080p, hdmi audio
Partial: Logitech DiNovo Mini needs 'sudo rmmod usbhid;sudo modprobe usbhid' after boot to make cursor work
Not working: IMON display
I too see question marks for temps on both my systems. CPU usage however is balanced on all of my systems, I'm pretty puzzled by all the folks seeing weird CPU usage...

Edit: No my machine isn't hanging or anything - do make sure you have the latest BIOS update though as I had to update mine out of the box. I have not tried to standby the box, I do not think the IRDA receiver would still get power to allow it to easily resume and I am running torrents on the box 24X7 anyway.
Another tidbit for anyone looking to set up this board... I just tried the Killa sample, and it ran perfectly clean. 1 dropped frame at the beginning (I think that's because this is cropped out of a section of the Planet Earth video) but after that no problems. Both CPU's were hovering between 50-60% during playback. I'm very impressed.
Viewsonic N4285P, ASUS P5N7A-VM, Intel E8500, Mushkin PC28500 2x2GB, Antec Fusion Black 430, Logitech DiNovo Mini, Patriot X-Mini 8GB
Working: 1080p, hdmi audio
Partial: Logitech DiNovo Mini needs 'sudo rmmod usbhid;sudo modprobe usbhid' after boot to make cursor work
Not working: IMON display
Snowflake: that is good to know. I know now what my HTPC will be based on =)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with ASUS P5N7A-VM0