[REQUEST] A RSS reader/parser
jpoveda Wrote:Hello,

Give me and email address and i'll send you my mod. Take note you must modify script file with your preferences and as isobsr said description doesn't scroll (usually it's not a problem with regular rss, just fail with large data description).

damned, i did not see your reply until today. if you're still willing to send me that one, use [email protected] for destination.

thank you.
cheers,azido :;):
[email protected] - i'd like that too Smile thanks
logictester Wrote:[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL] - i'd like that too Smile thanks

i'll pass it to you if i can get a copy.
azido Wrote:googlereader would be exactly what i want - if it would be supporting my own list of rss feeds instead of only the ones from google.
Is there something wrong with adding your list of rss feeds to googlereader then using the googlereader plugin, or am I missing something?

Surely it would be easier to set up googlereader than anything xbmc could do on-screen?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
rwparris2 Wrote:Is there something wrong with adding your list of rss feeds to googlereader then using the googlereader plugin, or am I missing something?

Surely it would be easier to set up googlereader than anything xbmc could do on-screen?

there won't be anything wrong as long as the rss feed does not contain any data google should not be aware of.

also i don't know if google supports adding feeds not supplied by themselves?

..or am i completely outdated and now i can use googlereader along with my very own feeds? i thought it only displays what google offers.
If you like you can have a play with a mod of multirss 1.5 i have been working on it's not 100% ready for release yet as there 1 or 2 bug left for me to find but it is working for the most part...

All you would need to do is edit the feedlist.xml with your rss address and have a play and if you find any problems or have suggestions please let me know.
http://github.com/cf2009/multirss/tree/master
azido Wrote:..or am i completely outdated and now i can use googlereader along with my very own feeds? i thought it only displays what google offers.

Google reader works just like any other rss reader, except it is online. As long as the feeds are formated rss or atom it works great.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
rwparris2 Wrote:Google reader works just like any other rss reader, except it is online. As long as the feeds are formated rss or atom it works great.

in my understanding, googlereader is a plugin for displaying rss feeds you would normally display using your google account online. so like you would add them in their web gui and see them there, you can forward that output to xbmc with this plugin.
in that case google has an insight of where the feed comes from plus it's contents, right? not useful for me then. i might sound being paranoid here, but some of the feeds i use are simply meant to be kept in private/ for a closed audience. i don't want to assign/release them to my google account.
Big Grin 
CF2009 Wrote:If you like you can have a play with a mod of multirss 1.5 i have been working on it's not 100% ready for release yet as there 1 or 2 bug left for me to find but it is working for the most part...

All you would need to do is edit the feedlist.xml with your rss address and have a play and if you find any problems or have suggestions please let me know.

great, thank you!
actually googlereader allows you to log on to google.com/reader and setup as many feeds as you want, then any supporting client can go and pull those feeds

@CF2009 - would it be possible to make rss updates - for example github updates - to pop on the home screen where your random quots are running and allow marking them on read or something of that type?
CF2009 Wrote:If you like you can have a play with a mod of multirss 1.5 i have been working on it's not 100% ready for release yet as there 1 or 2 bug left for me to find but it is working for the most part...

hmm.. getting stuck on the loading screen with your preconfigured feedlist.xml and have to kill xbmc since interrupting doesn't work.

xbmc.log throws this to me:

Code:
15:02:35 T:4948 M:4294967295  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
15:02:35 T:4968 M:4294967295   ERROR: DIRECTORY::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting ?
15:02:35 T:4968 M:4294967295   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(?) failed
i'll try and see if it works with my very own set.

edit: ok, works with my own feeds - maybe the reference to the non-existent background.jpg was the problem?
azido Wrote:hmm.. getting stuck on the loading screen with your preconfigured feedlist.xml and have to kill xbmc since interrupting doesn't work.

Code:
15:02:35 T:4968 M:4294967295   ERROR: DIRECTORY::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting ?

edit: ok, works with my own feeds - maybe the reference to the non-existent background.jpg was the problem?

did you git the latest? it works perfect here
logictester Wrote:did you git the latest? it works perfect here

that's what i did at given time, yes. didn't work out of the box. but as i edited feedlist.xml to use my feeds, it worked.
maybe it was an outdated/non-reachable feed in his list.

actually, after i got it running, this is what i've requested! does exactly what i want to have plus has some fancy extras. thank you!

now the only thing left for me is: getting the headline and contents screen bigger, so i am able to read that stuff from my 10feet-away sofa. can i do this for myself or do i have to beg you on my knees for extending its sizes? Rofl

my suggestion here would be to decrease the height of the headlines window, take that additional space we get to extend the height of the content window plus increase the width of both of them. that way one could also increase the font size a bit in case of having probs in reading.. Nod

another superb ultra super bonus would be to enable editing of feedlist.xml onscreen so one could add/delete feeds here...there is already a script that does exactly this for the main xbmc feed (rss ticker), maybe you can adopt that? but atm i'm really more after display cosmetics Wink
azido Wrote:hmm.. getting stuck on the loading screen with your preconfigured feedlist.xml and have to kill xbmc since interrupting doesn't work.

Code:

Odd it looks like it got stuck on XBMC Developer Musings feed and it works ok @ this end....

azido Wrote:actually, after i got it running, this is what i've requested! does exactly what i want to have plus has some fancy extras. thank you!

now the only thing left for me is: getting the headline and contents screen bigger, so i am able to read that stuff from my 10feet-away sofa. can i do this for myself or do i have to beg you on my knees for extending its sizes? Rofl

my suggestion here would be to decrease the height of the headlines window, take that additional space we get to extend the height of the content window plus increase the width of both of them. that way one could also increase the font size a bit in case of having probs in reading.. Nod

another superb ultra super bonus would be to enable editing of feedlist.xml onscreen so one could add/delete feeds here...there is already a script that does exactly this for the main xbmc feed (rss ticker), maybe you can adopt that? but atm i'm really more after display cosmetics Wink
i will see what i can do over the weekend Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] A RSS reader/parser0