Suspend HELP Please
So I have Live running in a Zalman HD135 Chassis, and although I would like to get the VFD in there working it is not really that important to me right now.

I can suspend from the MCE remote currently and that is fine and work from the power button. The power button of course will not bring it out of suspend, I currently use the Zalman remote power button and that does bring it out and every thing resumes fine so it seems.

So all I am missing is the power button waking up the system

I have tried echo USBX, I created an /etc/rc.local fie and placed that in there. I created a suspend.sh and resume.sh scripts I created the .lircrc file and none of these seem to work.

running lsusb gives the philips at Bus 4 Dev 2 and the Zalman vfd (ftdi) at Bus 3 Dev 2 I set echo usb to USB0.

I am sort off lost at this point. There seems to be so many versions of how to get this too work that it is very confusing as too which one will work properly.

Any Ideas!

thx,

Dave
Dave,

Am I reading you correctly? With your Zalman remote you can suspend and resume by pressing the power button. But with your MCE remote you can only suspend by pressing the power button, and resume does not work?
Of course suspend is depend on HW setup, OS, and how the HW supported by the OS.

With my setup (ASUS P5N7A-VM and MCE remote (with standard USB receiver))

Hardy:
I can suspend the computer, but resume is not working at all.
First of all, I cannot wake up the computer with MCE remote, the receiver is "dead". If I resume by the power button, the computer wakes up, but fails to resume.

Intrepid:
It's awesome out of the box. Just installed pm-utils and lirc. No custom configuration of any file.
Suspend and resume are also successful. It comes back from sleep in 2 seconds. Which is more great, it is even wake up using the remote AND it only wake up with the power button of MCE remote. So if you touch any other button on the remote by accident, it stays suspended. Perfect.
I have XBMC Live 8.10 installed to HDD, and I am able to suspend and resume using the power button on my MCE remote. I believe XBMC Live 8.10 is built on Intrepid.
tim_wang Wrote:I have XBMC Live 8.10 installed to HDD, and I am able to suspend and resume using the power button on my MCE remote. I believe XBMC Live 8.10 is built on Intrepid.

No, it's hardy
I upgraded the kernel in my XBMC Live 8.10 installed to HDD to 2.6.27-7. Maybe that is why my suspend and resume works.
tim_wang Wrote:I upgraded the kernel in my XBMC Live 8.10 installed to HDD to 2.6.27-7. Maybe that is why my suspend and resume works.

Yes that is why your suppend is working for sure. My On/Off works via the zalman as it is hard wired to the power switch on the board.

My MCE remote would power it off to suspend but not back on. In Mythbuntu 8:10 test machine it would do both no problem on and off.

Tim! I know you say you upgraded your kernel. Did you change from syslinux to grub booting. Can you create a tutorial for this process please.

Dave
Dave,

To be honest, it will probably be easier to install XBMC 8.10 for linux directly onto ubuntu.

But if you want to stick with XBMC 8.10 Live installed to HDD, I can help you with that. Do you have a spare HDD or USB flash drive to mess with? One that you can completely wipe out?
tim_wang Wrote:Dave,

To be honest, it will probably be easier to install XBMC 8.10 for linux directly onto ubuntu.

But if you want to stick with XBMC 8.10 Live installed to HDD, I can help you with that. Do you have a spare HDD or USB flash drive to mess with? One that you can completely wipe out?

Hi Tim,

Yes in both cases, I have a test machine always for playing around with new things.

Dave
Dave,

Here is how I changed my XBMC 8.10 Live installed to HDD from booting with syslinux to booting with grub. Let me know if there are any mistakes, or parts that need clarification. All feedbacks are welcome.

1) Install XBMC 8.10 Live to the sacrificial HDD. Boot from that HDD and make sure X is working and XBMC loads.

2) Use Gparted from your Mythbuntu installation to create an ext3 partition on the HDD that will ultimately boot XBMC. Enable the boot flag for that

partition. Format the partition, and label it "XBMC."

3) Mount the XBMC partition with the following commands:

sudo mkdir /media/XBMC
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/disk/by-label/XBMC /media/XBMC

4) Copy the /boot directory from your Mythbuntu installation to the XBMC partition using the following commands:

sudo cp -rp /boot /media/XBMC

This will copy a lot of extra kernels and initrds which can be deleted with the following command:

sudo rm -f /media/XBMC/boot/*generic

5) Enter the grub shell using the following command:

sudo grub

6) Find the grub files using the following command:

find /boot/grub/stage1

You should see at least 2 locations, one from your Mythbuntu installation, and another from the /boot/grub directory we copied to the XBMC partition in step 4.

7) Install grub using the following commands:

root (hdx,y)
setup (hdx)

where x and y are from the result of step 6.

8) Exit the grub shell using the following command:

quit

9) Boot off the XBMC 8.10 Live installed to the sacrificial HDD, with the HDD containing the XBMC partition we prepared in the previous steps attached.

10) Mount the XBMC partition using the following commands:

sudo mkdir /media/XBMC
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/disk/by-label/XBMC /media/XBMC

11) Find the vfat partition containing the XBMC install with the following command:

mount

Look for the vfat partition and note its mount point.

12) Mount rootfs.img from the above vfat partition, and copy its contents to the XBMC partition using the following commands:

sudo mkdir /media/rootfs
sudo mount -o loop /media/xxxx/rootfs.img /media/rootfs
sudo cp -rp /media/rootfs/* /media/XBMC

where xxxx is the vfat partition from step 11.

13) Mount ext3fs.img from the above vfat partition, and copy its contents to the XBMC partition using the following commands:

sudo mkdir /media/ext3fs
sudo mount -o loop /media/xxxx/ext3fs.img /media/ext3fs
sudo cp -rp /media/ext3fs/* /media/XBMC

14) Mount the restricted driver image of your choice (nvidia for me) from the above vfat partition, and copy its contents to the XBMC partition using the following commands:

sudo mkdir /media/nvidia
sudo mount -o loop /media/xxxx/restrictedDrivers.nvidia.img /media/nvidia
sudo cp -rp /media/nvidia/* /media/XBMC

15) Copy /home to the XBMC partition using the following command:

sudo cp -rp /home /media/XBMC

16) Copy the kernel and initrd to the XBMC partition using the following commands:

sudo cp /media/xxxx/initrd0.img /media/XBMC/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
sudo cp /media/xxxx/vmlinuz /media/XBMC/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic

17) Edit /etc/fstab in the XBMC partition using the following commands:

sudo vi /media/XBMC/etc/fstab

Delete the entry for your /home and replace

unionfs / unionfs defaults 0 0

With

LABEL=XBMC / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

18) Open syslinux.cfg from the vfat partition using the following command:

more /media/xxxx/syslinux.cfg

19) Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst in the XBMC partition using the following commands:

sudo vi /media/XBMC/boot/grub/menu.lst

For example the #nVidia option in syslinux.cfg

# nVidia
label 1
kernel vmlinuz
append root=/dev/sda1 initrd=initrd0.img boot=disk quiet splash xbmc=nvidia

becomes the following in grub

title XBMC
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=LABEL=XBMC ro quiet splash xbmc=nvidia
initrd /initrd.img
boot

I also added the following for debugging:

title XBMC (debug)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=LABEL=XBMC ro debugging
initrd /initrd.img
boot

Delete all the other entries except for memtest86+. This may come in handy some day. Wink

20) Shutdown XBMC and disconnect the sacrificial HDD. Boot using the new XBMC partition.
Tim,

Thanks for all that typing, YEP that is a lot of work, I investigated some other options today and played around a little bit.

I chose to install inetbootin to a flash and then do a net-install of 8.10 intrepid using 2.6.27-9-generic for now.

I am not sure if the CDN repo mirror was really slow today but man that took a while. I built with a base install and added ssh and samba following that. it has taken me most of the day to get XBMC booting and shutting down properly, I still have a couple dmsg errors on shutdown.

but I just installed lirc with my MCE remote and it suspends on and off from the power button no problem in fact it is back up from cold within 10 seconds.

Now I just need to trim the inital boot times down, but I am not sure what else I can strip out. basically

I have

ubunutu 8.10 base
ssh server
samba
xorg
nvidia-glx-177 (180 would not build well it wourd but X could not find the GLX driver so I purged nvidia and xorg and reinstalled and all was fine)
Lirc
Alsa
build-essential
linux-headers 2.6.27-9

and thats about it no gdm and no extra's.

it is pretty fast this way and it supsends with no workarounds and that is what I was going for, now I just have to swap it out for my gyration remote /dev/by-id and see if that works.

thanks for all your help,

Dave
Dave,

Which ubuntu 8.10 version did you install? x86 desktop? On my ubuntu desktop I have to run XBMC as an application on top of gdm. I would love to get rid of gdm altogether since it is strictly a htpc. How did you go about doing that?
Tim,

This is what I did, This is on an Asus M2N-SLI with an AMD6400 X2. I still built with the 32 bit as I new I would be moving this drive over to an Intel Machine when done testing.

I used the post for guidance along the way.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...th+Invalid

I used netinstall_8.10 for the build. The post is a little vague as to certain things. I did not change my IP to static. I did edit the smb.conf (workgroup and server to XBMC as shown in post)file, but once xbmc was running it did not seem to make a difference, xbmc worked just fine.

So use inetbootin in Windows (it just works better) and then setup your flash drive there with the distro you want. when complete boot of the flash with the machine and hard drive you want to setup. Let the default run, it will start downloading files to the drive and then carry on a normal Command Line intrepid setup. It does take a while depending on Connection.

I did partitoned as 1Gb Swap 4GB / ext3 and the rest as /home ext3 pobably not the best soltution BUT I do not store any media on the drive so it makes no difference to me, I could get away with a 20Gb hard drive.

Make sure and run apt-get build essential linux headers-`uname -r` before you install xorg or the video drivers because you will not have the proper headers installed for the glx driver to build and I think this is where I ran into problems.

I setup the Daily PPA's with add-ons in the sources list, but you could do an SVN install here at this point as well if you like. I just think that sudo apt-get install xbmc is easier.

Where he says reboot and you should see XBMC I could never get that too happen. I actually logged in after booting startx and then ctl-alt-f2 and start xbmc and it would run but with dbus errors (the norm this way) then I followed this post for shutdown and dbuss errors fix.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38473

A couple things about locations in the above threads

your .bashrc is in /home/xbmc and your .xinintrc file needs to be in your $HOME directory You should read through that entire post to get the jist of what is going on. For the potkit edit, I just added the "root|user" user being xbmc or whatever user you used to build the system with and it works just fine for shutdown, as I said I still get a dbus error when I exit to a shell and if I could figure out where the lines go from the last post in the above thread it would probably fixem. I will try that out today.

I only installed Lirc and not lcdproc at this time. Lirc worked fine with the mceusb new et all driver, I did not touch anything just rebooted and suspend works, NOW I did installed the two scripts that are included in the first post for start xbmc but I am not sure if they would assist in suspend or power managament at all.

I also installed the splash as described, I was sure there was a newer splash file out there other than the one I got with that download it is the old logo but still better than text, and set the timeout to 0 for grub.

All in All this took about 6 hours, but 3-4 of that was donwloading the 8.10 Netinstall for sure AND I installed it on a 250Gb Lacie USB drive ~!DOH!~ I will copy that over to another drive via gpartedlive later but it would probably be good practice to do it all again anyhow.

Once all the above was completed, I ftp'd over the AlsaUpgrade install script rev 1.15 untarred it and ran it with -d for download and then -i for install and then rebooted and scanned all my movies and TV shows and VOILA. We have Contact.

No GDM needed (Hence) a note about the second link I supplied it says to get rcconf and turn off GDM but since we are not installing it I do not think you need it. I did get it but it made no difference.

hope this works. Good Luck

Dave
Tim,

Here is another post which actually gives you scipt to make all the changes and install XBMC from SVN/ppa once you have ubuntu base, ssh and samba setup. There are provisions to change your user as well, if you did not set default to xbmc.

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php...post271516

let me know how it goes.

Dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Suspend HELP Please0