Songbird Compatibility?
Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the Forums here, and also new to XBMC. I've searched the forums some, and couldn't find anything about this.

Currently I'm running XBMC on one computer with a shared networked drive from another computer, both running Win XP. I've gotten XBMC to see music that I'm sharing via iTunes 6, but it won't play the music. From what little I've found on here, this will not actually work.
So, I guess my first question would be, with both of those systems running Win XP, is there a way to get my XBMC system to read the music being shared by iTunes?

If not, is there currently, or will there be XBMC compatibility with music being shared via Songbird?

Thanks for your help!

Greg
I'm not 100% sure on your question or what won't play correctly, but I will try my best.

If you're sharing the content on another computer you should be able to simply share the folder with the files and let XBMC scan that folder by adding it as an SMB share (or if it's already mounted already you can just point XBMC to the drive letter it's already mounted to).

If the problem you're having is trying to play music purchased from iTunes you're probably out of luck if they are DRM'd.

SongBird scans the folders you point it to for content and adds those files to itself in a meaningful way. That's exactly what XBMC will do. You point it to the music files and tell it to scan them.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at it when I have the chance.

I am not trying to share music purchased from iTunes. Most of the music I'm sharing is from CD's that I have put on iTunes.
I have not installed Songbird yet, but have been planning on getting around to it.
The biggest reason I was wanting to use iTunes to share music, or was thinking about songbird if it works similar to iTunes, is because I love the way I can create play lists in iTunes and share them across the network.

Honestly, I have not played around with music on XBMC that much, so I don't know if it's possible to set up an SMB, have it find the music, and then create play lists through XBMC. Is that possible?

Since I haven't been able to get iTunes to work, I was hoping that if songbird lets me create play lists in a way similar to iTunes, and share them, that I could have XBMC pointed to that, so I can share play lists as I've created them on songbird.

Does any of that make sense?
Yeah it can read playlists created with iTunes or Songbird. Read here for further information regarding how to format them. The only real caveat is the fact that XBMC needs to know the correct location of the files relative to its own file structure.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Pla..._Playlists
also xbmc will (or would at some point) allow daap as a source, which is an iTunes "share"

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=ITunes_(DAAP)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
daap is still supported, in fact i gave it a facelift a while back (added port customization support)
Thanks for all your replies.

When I get the chance, I will start playing around with XBMC and songbird.

As I said before, I've gotten XBMC to see songs shared via iTunes 6 via DAAP, but, seeing them is all I can do with it, I can't play them. I will take a look at the two links provided.

Whenever that may be, I'll do my best to post back and let y'all know how it goes.

Thanks again.
Ravengbc Wrote:As I said before, I've gotten XBMC to see songs shared via iTunes 6 via DAAP, but, seeing them is all I can do with it, I can't play them. I will take a look at the two links provided.

That is probably a real issue that should be reported on xbmc.org/trac
However, I still don't see why you don't simply point xbmc at the files on your other computer via smb or something similar, and completely cut out the need for another program to serve your media.

(as a side note, I found songbird to be neat but buggy & completely unpolished, and couldn't find any extensions I found terribly useful. It didn't last too long on my system)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Songbird Compatibility?1