Bug Untranslatable strings
Bug 
Hi guys

I'm doing some checkings/corrections on my language in preparation for Kodi 15 and since I'm doing that I thought it would be a good idea to make a list with all untranslatable strings that I found
I wanted to do this for a long time but I was busy with something else

I believe is good to have this list ready for some day when a developer will have time to replace all hardcoded strings with variables

Fellow translators, please make a post if you find a string not on the list

The list:

1. Colour
2. Baseline / Progressive
3. Atomatic
4. No
5. Auto
6. Top Left
Found in Pictures -> Picture information window (Pressing "i" on a picture)
If these are exif text properties and can be just about anything then I think it will be impossible to solve and we'll have to leave it as is
7. Local information only
Found in Videos -> Add videos... -> This directory contains (movies) -> Choose a scraper (section)

8. GPU (already on Transifex)
Found in System - > System info -> Video
9. CPU (already on Transifex)
Found in System - > System info -> Hardware

Other low priority strings would be add-on names like "Black" and "Dim" screensavers and audio encoders since the word "encoder" could be translated
Also Kodi team as author fo add-ons

Languages names could also be translated, but this is tricky because the default font might not support this very well, also if you make a mistake it could be hard to understand which is your language reading the names in a foreign language
On this I l think Steam's implementations which shows the translated language name and in parenthesis the english one.

Thanks
8+9 would imo be pointless to translate as they are well known names for components.
7. Is a name for a scraper and it will not be translated
Addon names will not be translated. I wouldn't translate your name as well right?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
8+9 my be well known for english people and computer savvy but for others they have no meaning

Also CPU in my language would be UCP as acronym which I bet only 1-2 people would know whereas Processor is easier for everyone

7. seemed to me like an add-on, but I couldn't find it in the add-on manager so I thought it is something else

My name is a proper noun and proper nouns cannot be translated
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper_noun

Some add-on names are not fully proper nouns

For example "Youtube" add-on should not be translated, but "Youtube downloader" could be translated because it contains a common part which can be translated

The same for add-ons which have english words like encoder, decoder, client, sounds, etc.
I would not accept "Artwork Downloader" to be translated as I gave it that specific name. Having it translated would be an absolute nightmare as no one would even know what the official name was. The addon names are unique names and as such should NOT be translated just like your name.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-07-08, 17:15)Martijn Wrote: I would not accept "Artwork Downloader" to be translated as I gave it that specific name. Having it translated would be an absolute nightmare as no one would even know what the official name was. The addon names are unique names and as such should NOT be translated just like your name.

+100
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
7 isn't a proper noun, scraper, or an add-on. It's nothing more than "always use local NFO files", which would actually make for a better string, IMO. There's no valid reason we can't translate that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Untranslatable strings0