Color Space Problems / Queries
athloni Wrote:Can you please tell me how to upgrade the Nvidia driver and how I change the settings to Limited?
Well, I never used LIVE (though I don't think it's too different form native installation), so maybe can't be that much of help. But on a "native install" environment, one would upgrade the package using the X-Updates repository, like this:
You already have a xorg.conf (path: /etc/X11/xorg.conf) I believe. So, open up that file in the terminal and insert Option "ColorRange" "Limited" in the Screen section of the file. But as far as I understand, once you reboot, everything is back to the default in the LIVE. I know there are ways to make the changes permanent (which I don't know how); I'm sure some one else will help you with that. cheers!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ | Denon AVC-X3800H | KEF Q750 | KEF Q150 | KEF Q250c | KEF Q50a | KEF Kube 10 MIE | LG OLED65G16LA | CoreELEC
MacUsers Wrote:You already have a xorg.conf (path: /etc/X11/xorg.conf) I believe. So, open up that file in the terminal and insert Option "ColorRange" "Limited" in the Screen section of the file.

Thanks, but can you tell me how to open and edit this file in Putty?
athloni Wrote:Thanks, but can you tell me how to open and edit this file in Putty?
Well, defiantly you will start with login in the LIVE node and for the you need to know the IP address/hostname of the LIVE node. Is it the same computer where you run LIVE XBMC and Windows/putty? And do you already know, how to login from Putty? Cheers!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ | Denon AVC-X3800H | KEF Q750 | KEF Q150 | KEF Q250c | KEF Q50a | KEF Kube 10 MIE | LG OLED65G16LA | CoreELEC
I found out how to do it, and now Studio levels are working !!!!
It produces a better picture on my Panasonic Plasma TV.
athloni Wrote:I found out how to do it, and now Studio levels are working great!!!!
It produces a perfect picture on my Panasonic Plasma TV.

My problem is solved. Finally I can use studio level colorspace in XBMC Live Nod

Do you need to enable VDPAU Studio levels option from XBMC Settings anymore if xorg.conf option is enabled?
P.Kosunen Wrote:Do you need to enable VDPAU Studio levels option from XBMC Settings anymore if xorg.conf option is enabled?

NO, you have to disable VDPAU Studio levels
Unless I made a mistake I find that both of the ColorRange "Limited" and ColorSpace "YCbCr444" modes incorrectly cause clipping >235 luminance levels. I will continue to use the VDPAU Studio Levels - though mpeg2 remains nonsense then.
TheSwissKnife Wrote:Unless I made a mistake I find that both of the ColorRange "Limited" and ColorSpace "YCbCr444" modes incorrectly cause clipping >235 luminance levels. I will continue to use the VDPAU Studio Levels - though mpeg2 remains nonsense then.

I use "Limited" and it seams to display oke.
I checked it with the Test Paterns in XBMC
athloni Wrote:I use "Limited" and it seams to display oke.
I checked it with the Test Paterns in XBMC

You can see the whiter-than-whites above 235?
TheSwissKnife Wrote:You can see the whiter-than-whites above 235?

Yes, with "limited" enabled I can.
Wit "full" I can't
I can't.
And no blacker-than-black either. Tried limited and full. Same result.

I suspect I have to fiddle a lot more with my TV options (LG with XD engine).

hudo
Some information regarding blacker-than-black on a LG set similar to mine (and probably others):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost....tcount=236

Can't really test right now. Will do later.

hudo
hudo Wrote:I can't.
And no blacker-than-black either. Tried limited and full. Same result.

I suspect I have to fiddle a lot more with my TV options (LG with XD engine).

hudo

Are you sure you are using the newest NVidia driver?
It should really make a difference with "limited" settings
Quite sure.
I'm using ubuntu-x-swat repo with latest drivers (260.19.06).

In any case, at this moment I can't get my TV to do BTB and WTW. Currently under investigation... and some aggravation to my wife. Big Grin

hudo
Well I have screen that supports and a DVDO Edge that allows me to flick levels back and forward and with VDPAU Studio Colour disabled and Xserver set to ColorRange Limited all whites higher than 234 are the same level. If I enable VDPAU Studio Colour then I see all 0-255 range seemingly squeezed into 16-235 levels (though I will have to get my meter out to confirm the actual white levels). I am using 260.19.06 nvidia drivers.

I don't understand how it is possible to get WTW to come out properly when Limited ColorRange is set.

I have been trying for longer than I can remember to find a way to have a media center do this properly. That is to display desktop and JPEG with 0 black output as BLACK, and all VIDEO with 16 black output as the same BLACK, and in all cases Desktop, JPEG and VIDEO to preserve white all the way up to 255 (or at least 254 with HDMI restrictions on the 255 value). This is the only correct way to do it! The actual level of output BLACK can be either 0 or 16 (perferably switchable) depending on your preference and how your equipment handles these levels.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Color Space Problems / Queries0