• 2(current)
XBMC Live on ASUS P5N7A-VM complete guide
Hi,

first of all thank you very much for this guide. I've used it to setup my box (using ubuntu directly, not xbmc live) but everything went fine. A couple of questions just in case any user of this board has found the solution:

1. Can the CPU temperature be seen from xbmc/linux? I can only see it from the bios (and not always, sometimes the bios setup utility freezes when trying to see it :-?

2. After installing the nvidia driver 180.22 in hardy, everything seems to work fine except a small glitch when using the upper-right menus in gnome, the orange highlight of the menus is all garbled.. anyone seeing this issue?? :confused2:

regards,
The LMSensors package will allow you to see CPU temps outside of XBMC at the desktop. So far as I know though the temp sensing in XBMC is hosed at the moment Sad
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
olympia Wrote:...
I wish I could solve to suspend on 8.04 with this board, until Intrepid playback performance issues is tracked down....

Hi, olympia, nice guide m8.

I've not been on the forums much lately, what performance issues are you talking about here? [EDIT] - Ok i found the relevant thread right at the top in the linux support bit, doh.

On a side note i can't get resume from suspend to work on intrepid.
XBMCLive, Acer REVO R3700, Philips SRM-5100 MCE Remote ~ 7TB unRaid Storage - HP ProLiant MicroServer
pilluli Wrote:1. Can the CPU temperature be seen from xbmc/linux? I can only see it from the bios (and not always, sometimes the bios setup utility freezes when trying to see it :-?

It is available from the menu (I can't remember exactly): Shutdown -> System info.
BLKMGK Wrote:The LMSensors package will allow you to see CPU temps outside of XBMC at the desktop. So far as I know though the temp sensing in XBMC is hosed at the moment Sad

Thanks, it is working now!!! Time to test the performance drop between intrepid/hardy...

btw, as a side issue I must say that I'm having stability problems with this board. Using intrepid, nvidia driver 180 and compiz the machine hangs completely when opening some file dialogs :mad: Just install deluge-torrent and try to open a file... machine hangs :mad: anyone has seen this problem?
which version of ubuntu should i install, hardy or intrepid? Sounds like you get better performance with hardy, but I want to make sure i can get SPDIF digital output with hdmi video output - as my receiver need SPDIF output.
i am on xbmc live and it's working for me.
but i think the alsa update script is broken..
Hi,

anyone with this board is experiencing tearing?? I'm having tearing problems in almost all of my videos. I've tried following the guide in the first post (starting from a clean ubuntu install not the xbmc live cd) and any intrepid/hardy or nvidia drivers 177/180 combination gives me tearing. I'd appreciate it very much if any of you guys with the asus p5n7a-vm goes to this post and reports if you're seeing similar issues.

regards,
dirtylion Wrote:i am on xbmc live and it's working for me.
but i think the alsa update script is broken..

For everyone ho has problem with the script:
First - learn SSH, if you are on Linux there is a great guide in the Ubuntu Wiki.
Second - start the script thrue your SSH terminal and then start a second SSH terminal and get the log file (instructions is in the first terminal then you start the script).
My problem was that the script didnt download the complete file from the FTP server (you will se this in the logfile in the secund terminal), so I had to change the addresses in the scriptfile to some other download address witch was posted on the Alsa homepage (sorry, cant find my bookmark). Hope this helps someone!
/O
SpiffBB Wrote:For everyone ho has problem with the script:
First - learn SSH, if you are on Linux there is a great guide in the Ubuntu Wiki.
Second - start the script thrue your SSH terminal and then start a second SSH terminal and get the log file (instructions is in the first terminal then you start the script).
My problem was that the script didnt download the complete file from the FTP server (you will se this in the logfile in the secund terminal), so I had to change the addresses in the scriptfile to some other download address witch was posted on the Alsa homepage (sorry, cant find my bookmark). Hope this helps someone!
/O

Exactly, but to inform everyone, now the default scripts are run just fine...
pilluli Wrote:Hi,

anyone with this board is experiencing tearing?? I'm having tearing problems in almost all of my videos. I've tried following the guide in the first post (starting from a clean ubuntu install not the xbmc live cd) and any intrepid/hardy or nvidia drivers 177/180 combination gives me tearing. I'd appreciate it very much if any of you guys with the asus p5n7a-vm goes to this post and reports if you're seeing similar issues.

regards,

I was having issues on the weekend and that is why I did a clean install with just Live and did not upgrade to the latest SVN, I also only installed wget and build-essential and kernel-headers not the full list olympia included for download in his guide.

I then installed 180.11 Nvidia Drivers and updated alsa with 1.14 and the Snapshot rev that I downloaded when I first did my HDMI guide.

Then rebooted and all was fine including, vc1 and h264 HD files. I did not even add triplebuffer to the xorg.conf this time.

Did you touch your video settings at all, I mean the ones from the pop up when you are actually watching a movie.

Dave
Thanks Dave,

I actually found my problem, using compositor in metacity is definitely not a good thing. Smile

later,
Can't some one write a guide like this one for Hardy/Intrepid? Otherwise i will have to go with live, but i wonder isn't the live version limited i mean can you update XBMC without breaking the system?
spozen Wrote:Can't some one write a guide like this one for Hardy/Intrepid? Otherwise i will have to go with live, but i wonder isn't the live version limited i mean can you update XBMC without breaking the system?

I am working on the Intrepid guide. Hopefully up during the weekend...
Great, Thanks!

Will you be using arons patch for better performance in Intrepid?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live on ASUS P5N7A-VM complete guide2