Very slow folder navigation Apple TV
I have added a couple of shares to the Videos section. These are 2 folders sharing via smb from a vista machine. My problem is navigating around the interface, i can click into the 1st level of the source, but i click menu to back out and it takes anywhere from 1-5 mins to actually go back. Am i doing something wrong?
No, you must have a problem there. It shouldn't take anywhere near that long. I'm is working fine with the latest updates although XBMC does take longer to shut down now.....10 to 15 seconds to go back to the main ATV menu screen.
you may have to reinstall your patch to correct this problem, but try to re Patchstick before starting from scratch? Good luck.
Did you figure out a solution to this? I seem to be having the same problem. Did reinstalling the patch help?
How is you network configured (especially your samba share) ?

A couple of years ago, I had these issues when I didn't point directly to the IP of the host machine. I resolved that in adding IP, login and password within the bookmarks file.

Something like that :
Code:
<bookmark>
<name>Network My PC</name>
<path>smb://xbox:password@ip/MySharedDrives</path>
</bookmark>
Hope, it could help.
I'll give that a try.

what I am using right now is just normal Windows SMB...and I also have the old ccxstream, but seem to be having the same problem with both...really slow when opening folders...as well as it takes about 5 min pluss to open a video file
Please, if any of you figure out how to solve this problem, post it, because I have it too, and is almost driving me crazy. In my case, it takes about 3 minutes to play a file. I think it is happening since I update the XBMC to the lastest version but I have no idea how to downgrade back.
add your smb server to /etc/hosts
Davilla.

I just finished "reading" the 131 threads pages on this forum section and have not found how to solve my problem about waiting time between files, so please help me.

I have the latest versions of the XBMC 9.11 and 3.01 ATV.

This has already happened once to me in another ATV that got stolen, but I don't remember how I got to fix it. The problem involves 3 issues that gets resolved at the same time.
1. Waiting time of 3 or 4 minutes to start a file (movie or series) or between files (music videos on a playlist).
2. Remote control functions changed. For example the menu-hold function is now on the play-hold button.
3. When everything was ok, I was able to keep playing a video on background (movie or music video) while I browse through the folders and files.

This pause between file reading seems like XBMC searching/scrapping for something like subtitles or fanart, but I have disable both.

I have experienced the same problem in:
* SMB and XBMS shares
*Two different external drives with the same folders
* Every file of my library (music videos, movies and TV series)
* In all file formats
* Two different computers (servers), one with XP and the other with Vista
*SD content
*The same files once played smoothly and now they don't
*I tried a One file only share and it took the same time to play as if it was in the original folder with other 100 movies
* The system NEVER crashes and the files play ok once they start

I a not sure, but I think everything was ok when I had 9.04 XBMC. I read on how to post the debug but sincerely I didn't understand since it is to techy for me. I enable debugging, restart the system, play a movie, stopped, but don't know how to get a copy of the debug file and post it. I hope this information is enough, but if not, I will gladly try to give what you need to solve this issue.

Thanks
davilla Wrote:add your smb server to /etc/hosts

I too have noticed very much of a slow down when returning to main menu,
or when entering movie menu.
I just did a complete redo of my system, getting ready to install Crystal HD.
ATV firmware version 3.0.1. Launcher 3.22, SVN r27394... running the Alaska skin. Everything is current (I believe)....

You say to add smb server to above file.

Would that be the IP of my Windows computer that the USB hardrives are connected to or? Also, when adding a new source, aren't the smb addresses added then?

Sorry, not real savvy on this stuff.
Davilla

Do you need some other information so you can help me. Thanks!
If you navigate to those folders on a Windows machine do they load up quickly? If you have another router available maybe test that out and see if it fixes the issue.. I had a similar problem once when trying to connect to a share using a wireless laptop connection and it turned out to be the router.

Another possibility is if the share you are trying to access is on a NAS try messing with the NAS settings.
I can navigate trough the folders back and fourth smoothly, the problem (delay) is when I try to play any kind of file. I don't think is the router since my last AppleTV (got stolen from my house) worked perfect with this router and the same network
Can't comment on the ATV side of it, but for awhile now I've noticed that if I change the sort mode, from anything to something else, ie "File->Date" that if I go back a level, and try to go back in, it can take up to 15 min to pull up the file list. I traced it down on my XBOX and Linux systems to viewmode.db under the database folder. It really only seems to affect multi-source bookmarks (called sources now) ie. a source entry that has more than 1 path in it. It will always do it. Multiple versions. Systems. I have gotten so used to it, that now when I change the sort mode, I go and delete the .db file and reload xbmc.
If this sounds like your problem, try the above fix until it gets fixed correctly. It might be awhile as it seems to only do it in file mode and most devs use the library mode, and the log doesn't show anything but the time between functions.

Hope this helps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Very slow folder navigation Apple TV0