XBMC won't start (new install -- new user)
I installed and re-installed XBMC but it doesn't run at all. When running from the terminal I got lots of error messages, and I managed to resolve almost all of them, so now XBMC still doesn't run, but now with fewer errors! Big Grin

When I run "xbmc" in terminal I get:

Quote:ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:874Sadsnd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

But when I run "sudo xbmc" I get:

Quote:Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:874Sadsnd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Segmentation fault

Either way, the program seems to try to run, but I only see a flash on the screen.

Not sure why I would get a different set of errors as Root.

I believe my hardware is all in good order, since the live CD works great.

Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04
i686 architecture
XBMC installed via repositories using Synaptic
VSN unknown (can't run program to find out)
Debug log
http://pastebin.com/f587e6b21

I can't give you a core dump or backtrace because it doesn't dump core. (I confess. I don't even know what that means. I clipped that from another thread, but it seems to apply to my situation. And yes, I see that the error message says otherwise.)

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor

ASUS EN7600GS SILENT/HTD/512M GeForce 7600GS 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

4GB DDR2 ram

Thanks for any help!!! Looks like a great program. Hope to have it running soon
The alsa error is probably due to pulseaudio, the solution is stickied in linux forum.

The flash is probably due to opengl. There is a sticky in linux forum on how to provide the necessary files for debuging it. ontop of those files it would be great if you could post glxinfo | grep render aswell.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Quote:13:58:59 T:3055929216 M:3101229056 INFO: GLX Info: NOT Using destination window
13:58:59 T:3055929216 M:3101229056 ERROR: GLX Error: No compatible framebuffers found

You need to install the restricted gfx driver. See the ubuntu restricted driver manager.
althekiller Wrote:You need to install the restricted gfx driver. See the ubuntu restricted driver manager.

My driver manager shows only one driver: NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver.

I have it enabled, and it gives me no options for installing other drivers.

I noticed that my tinkering with XBMC problems caused it to become un-checked. When I checked it again, I got all my old error messages back at the Terminal. Here they are:

http://pastebin.com/f4f0a1a8e

Thanks for the fast responses Smile
Please try installing from PPA so we can rule out your build being the problem. Make sure to run "sudo make uninstall" from the root of your source tree first to uninstall your build.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC won't start (new install -- new user)0