XMovieGuide
oh, i did have one more question.

not sure if this belongs here, but i might as well ask.

is there a way to 'modify' the functionality of xbmc.keyboard to mask the input text (like a password entry field)?
yea, i know anyone can see what key is input (or at least where one dwells) but one could be sneeky and mislead.

maybe this is moot, can python engage in a secure connection to a <https://> site?

okay, two questions..

:nuts:
thanks
as i understand it (and i could be completely wrong) the xbmc keyboard is written in c++ and available to python. so there's no easy way in python to change its functionality.

i have been toying with the idea of writing another python keyboard (this one written in python) and although it's unlikely i'll have anything like the time to do that soon, i'll definitely think of masked entry as a worthwhile function.

concerning secure sites, i don't know yet. i've considered it before because (and i wouldn't be surprised if this is what you're thinking of) it would be nice for xmovieguide to be able to purchase tickets, too. i'll look into it, again, if i ever have the time.

for all those asking to incorporate other movie search sites, same answer. :-) i'd love to (and you providing your local website is definitely quite helpful). it's just a matter of finding the time.

alexpoet
For scripts, script development tools, and documentation, visit my website:
http://www.maskedfox.com/xbmc/
been using this script for a while now and i love it. great work. it would be awesome if a feature could be implemented that would pull up a movie trailer for a selected movie. sort of like the aqtbrowser script. once you select a movie and the running time is shown, there could be an option to view the movie trailer if one is available.

keep up the good work.
hi once more...

well, i was correct.  my clungy code to enable parsing of hollywood.com's synopsis has been drastictly cleaned up.

also, to change (or cycle through) the alternate backgrounds,
use the numeric key pad on the dvd remote.  
the last background selected prior to 'quiting' xmovieguide
will be saved to the xmgconfig file.

um, where to post this update....?
>>> addded 8-24-04: alexpoet has made this available from his link, go get it!!!
and enjoy.....  :joker:
email it to me again (script_requests at cox.net), and i'll either post it as an alternate link on my website or just post it as the main (which would automatically become the one downloaded from the main scripts download page).

i never got a chance to test it out last time. i should've. sounds like you've made some major improvements, and i feel bad that i haven't spent more time looking into them. just been busy, y'know?

of course, you get full credit for the work you've done. have you modified the readme at all? if so, let me know. if not, feel free to add a comment concerning your contribution to it. i'll put something similar on the webpage.

and, of course, thanks so much for what you've done.

alexpoet
ack! i read the forum before my own email. got the script. i'll put it up as soon as i can test it out.

thanks again.
okay, three posts in a row! hope nobody minds.

the script is now up as the official download link on my website. it's way too cool, and i feel bad for keeping it from people for this long.

please, everybody download the new xmovieguide from my website (link is in the sig) or from the main download site (it just gets the one from my website). then try it out and let poolem know how great his contribution has been.
new version of the script is up. no major changes--just fixed it to save zip codes that start with a zero. sorry to everybody in such zip codes that it took me so long to get this fix in.

get the new version at my website (linked in my sig)
i believed i installed the latest build f this script.
but have a few problemsthere is no background image and also i cannot exit the script meaning i cant back to the main menu of xbmc

how should i sort this.
i downloaded your script where do i put it and how thanks? and als when it is on my xbox how do i use it
to be absolutely sure you have the latest version of my script, visit the link in my signature and download the script from there. the official downloads page should be pointing to the same file, but i'm not positive of that.

the download should include a readme file explaining how to use it (where to put it, and what needs to be included with it). get the very newest version, and install it as described in the readme.
if you do these things, it should resolve your issues (kick in da door and lvlister, both).

if you've done this and still have problems, post again and let me know, and i'll see what i can figure out.
got this script running fine on my xbox

only problem i live in the uk so no listings for me Sad

this type of tool would be very useful to me if only it displayed uk results. Sad
just dl'd and tried your script... very nice!

if i can make some feature requests in case you decide to update it...

1) have the script run every 24 hrs so it will always have current data ready for display... it takes several minutes sometimes to get the data to display.

2) not sure what it would take for hd output. but that would be nice as more and more hd set being sold.

3) a movie "display" page when chosing to view info about the movie... like this (from my current home automation setup - asp based):

4) the coolest feature i've seen... a gride of movie theater vs times! each theater has it's own color coding and then script places the info in a grid for easy viewing and chosing of what times and where the movie is playing:
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(chrisvenn @ nov. 09 2004,16:55 Wrote:got this script running fine on my xbox

only problem i live in the uk so no listings for me Sad

this type of tool would be very useful to me if only it displayed uk results. Sad
@ chris.

email me at this username at hotmail [ include xbmc movie guide in the subject line ] and i'll send you a zip file containing a version of alex's script tailored to the scoot.co.uk website.

[ it lacks the user configuration settings of alex's - but i figure that you're unlikely to change them once you've set it up (and scoot doesn't feature the "cinemas x miles from here" hollywood model anyway) ].

i've just spent a pleasant hour trying to work out what's changed between 1.0 preview and 1.1 that's stuffed my changes up...(double backslashes, i think).

now, if i can just persuade kml to work...
love this script!!

i fixed the resolution problems. it will now work on all televisions.

just replace this section of code

Quote: # begin building the gui
self.pic = xbmcgui.controlimage(0,0,720,480, rootdir + imagedir + self.background) # begin by describing the gui widget.
self.addcontrol(self.pic) # "self.addcontrol()" adds the widget to the gui.

self.primarylistlabel = xbmcgui.controllabel(pll[0], pll[1], pll[2], pll[3], "", sf[0], sf[1]) # "sf" is commented in the globals
self.addcontrol(self.primarylistlabel) # adds the label to the gui
self.primarylistlabel.setlabel("") # label gets an empty text (for now)
self.primarylist = xbmcgui.controllist(pl[0], pl[1], pl[2], pl[3], timesfont[0], timesfont[1]) # creates a listbox widget to show the main menu
self.addcontrol(self.primarylist) # adds the listbox to the gui

self.secondarylistlabel = xbmcgui.controllabel(sll[0], sll[1], sll[2], sll[3], "", sf[0], sf[1]) # "sf" is commented in the globals
self.addcontrol(self.secondarylistlabel) # adds the label to the gui
self.secondarylistlabel.setlabel("") # label gets an empty text (for now)
self.secondarylist = xbmcgui.controllist(sl[0], sl[1], sl[2], sl[3], timesfont[0], timesfont[1]) # creates a listbox widget to show the submenu
self.addcontrol(self.secondarylist) # adds the listbox to the gui

self.showtimestext = xbmcgui.controltextbox(stb[0], stb[1], stb[2], stb[3], timesfont[0], timesfont[1]) # "sf" is commented in the globals
self.addcontrol(self.showtimestext) # adds the label to the gui
self.showtimesinfo = xbmcgui.controllabel(si[0], si[1], si[2], si[3], "", sf[0], sf[1]) # "sf" is commented in the globals
self.addcontrol(self.showtimesinfo) # adds the label to the gui
self.outputlabel = xbmcgui.controllabel(ol[0], ol[1], ol[2], ol[3], "", sf[0], sf[1]) # "sf" is commented in the globals
self.addcontrol(self.outputlabel) # adds the label to the gui

with this chunk of code.

Quote: # begin building the gui

self.scalex = ( float(self.getwidth())  / float(720) )
self.scaley = ( float(self.getheight()) / float(480) )

self.pic = xbmcgui.controlimage(0,0,int(720*self.scalex),int(480*self.scaley), rootdir + imagedir + self.background) # begin by describing the gui widget.
self.addcontrol(self.pic) # "self.addcontrol()" adds the widget to the gui.

self.primarylistlabel = xbmcgui.controllabel(int(pll[0]*self.scalex), int(pll[1]*self.scaley), int(pll[2]*self.scalex), int(pll[3]*self.scaley), "", sf[0], sf[1]) # "sf" is commented in the globals
self.addcontrol(self.primarylistlabel) # adds the label to the gui
self.primarylistlabel.setlabel("") # label gets an empty text (for now)
self.primarylist = xbmcgui.controllist(int(pl[0]*self.scalex), int(pl[1]*self.scaley), int(pl[2]*self.scalex), int(pl[3]*self.scaley), timesfont[0], timesfont[1]) # creates a listbox widget to show the main menu
self.addcontrol(self.primarylist) # adds the listbox to the gui

self.secondarylistlabel = xbmcgui.controllabel(int(sll[0]*self.scalex), int(sll[1]*self.scaley), int(sll[2]*self.scalex), int(sll[3]*self.scaley), "", sf[0], sf[1]) # "sf" is commented in the globals
self.addcontrol(self.secondarylistlabel) # adds the label to the gui
self.secondarylistlabel.setlabel("") # label gets an empty text (for now)
self.secondarylist = xbmcgui.controllist(int(sl[0]*self.scalex), int(sl[1]*self.scaley), int(sl[2]*self.scalex), int(sl[3]*self.scaley), timesfont[0], timesfont[1]) # creates a listbox widget to show the submenu
self.addcontrol(self.secondarylist) # adds the listbox to the gui

self.showtimestext = xbmcgui.controltextbox(int(stb[0]*self.scalex), int(stb[1]*self.scaley), int(stb[2]*self.scalex), int(stb[3]*self.scaley), timesfont[0], timesfont[1]) # "sf" is commented in the globals
self.addcontrol(self.showtimestext) # adds the label to the gui
self.showtimesinfo = xbmcgui.controllabel(int(si[0]*self.scalex), int(si[1]*self.scaley), int(si[2]*self.scalex), int(si[3]*self.scaley), "", sf[0], sf[1]) # "sf" is commented in the globals
self.addcontrol(self.showtimesinfo) # adds the label to the gui
self.outputlabel = xbmcgui.controllabel(int(ol[0]*self.scalex), int(ol[1]*self.scaley), int(ol[2]*self.scalex), int(ol[3]*self.scaley), "", sf[0], sf[1]) # "sf" is commented in the globals
self.addcontrol(self.outputlabel) # adds the label to the gui

another note about a cool new feature to add . . .

i think it would be neat to be able to watch a preview of any given movie selected. it seems like that would not be to difficult to do . . . since there is already a script written to get the movie trailers from quicktime. we would just have to match up the name of the film.

i might take a shot at that addition soon.

cheers!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XMovieGuide0