RTMP Support - Legal?
Hello

Does anyone know the legal ramifications of RTMP player support as this is a proprietary protcol from Adobe?

Cheers

mike
I'm no legal expert but I'll take a crack at this one for you...

Using Adobe's programming code to develop or "port" an XBMC version of an rtmp decoder or codec would be illegal. Developing from scratch an rtmp decoder or codec is not. Commercially advertised products cannot own the rights on a protocol or codec simply because they want to. Only non-commercialized formats for government or military usage can do this. Otherwise, other commercial products wouldn't be able to utilize other file or system formats and support popular public formats and protocols.

I hope that makes sense to you.
Rainbow 
Yeh, I'm no lawyer either, but my understanding is it's fine solongas the code you are using was written and developed by you. If you were using propriatory code within your scripting it would be illegal.

Course adobe would want to discourage you and make it seem like it's illegal with harsh sounding smallprint...but reality is if you write the code it should be fine. (and yes I seem to remember reverse engineering may be illegal - or just breach of t'n'c's? - as a means of deriving your own code....fact of the matter is it's neigh on impossible to prove whether that was done or not. So it's probably done quite often).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RTMP Support - Legal?0