[LINUX] HOW-TO build and install the latest ATI drivers from scratch under Ubuntu
Simple Method for Installing the Most Recent ATI drivers for better compatibility with XBMC

Well, as the subject states I have developed a simple method for installing the latest builds of the ATI video driver on Ubuntu. This method was born of trial and error due to the lack of complete and or easy to follow installation instructions currently available on the internet. This process was developed largely because of my quest to resolve ATI related issues with XBMC; after which I decided to write an easy to follow manual for installing the newest ATI drivers on Ubuntu. With the most recent drivers, XBMC functions flawlessly as far as I can tell, so I thought it might be helpful for others who are either suffering from the same problems as I was or are interested in getting XBMC up and running well on ATI hardware.

Note: this method was designed for ver. 8.12 of the ATI drivers (Released Dec. 10, 2008) for installation on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy) but I see no reason why it wouldn't work on both older and newer versions of the drivers and Ubuntu.

NOTE: Here is a cross link the another thread i started on Ubuntu's forums, included in the thread is the word document version of the manual because they allow attachments.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1032161

Hope this helps,
Slice

P.S. Mods, This might be worth turning into a sticky.
NOTE: I also have a better formatted Word Document if some one could attach it here to this thread or host it elsewhere

HERE IT IS:
Code:
How to Build and Install
The ATI Drivers from Scratch

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE EVER INSTALLED ANY ATI PROPRIETARY DRIVERS TROUGH UBUNTU OR ANY OTHER METHOD, PLEASE SEE THE DRIVER UNINSTALL PROCEDURES AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS TEXT BEFORE PROCEEDING

Driver Installation:

Step 1: Download the most recent raw driver install package from AMD's website (HTTP://WWW.AMD.COM) and save it to the desktop.
NOTE: The raw install file should have a “*.RUN” extension

Step 2: Open up a terminal window and type the command “cd Desktop” with out the quotation marks.

NOTE: all commands in Linux are Cap sensitive so be sure to type them exactly as they are written in this tutorial.

Step 3: now download the software packages tat are required for the drivers to install and run properly by executing this command in the open terminal window
“sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev debhelper libstdc++5 dkms build-essential cdbs fakeroot”

Step 4: it is now time to generate the Ubuntu “DEB” install packages from the raw driver package which you downloaded to your desktop. Execute this command in the open terminal window.
“sudo ./XXXXXXXXXXX.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/ZZZZZZZ”

NOTE: Replace all the “X”s with your actual RUN file name and all the “Z”s with the code name for the Ubuntu version you are running.

Example: “sudo ./ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/hardy”

Step 5: After the build process is completed and you have been returned to command prompt, you may exit the terminal

Step 6: Now that you are back to your desktop you will notice that many new Ubuntu “DEB” install package files have been created. You will now install three packages in run one terminal command in the following order.

NOTE: Once again the content that replaces the “X”s will vary depending on what version of the driver you have made the packages from and what version of Ubuntu you are running.

ALSO NOTE: Ubuntu may throw out a warning message stating that they have an older version of the driver in their repositories, simply ignore it and install the packages.

A. Double-click and install the first package named
“fglrx-kernel-source_XXXXXXXX.deb”; Once complete proceed to Step 6 Part “B”

B. Double-click and install the second package named
“xorg-driver-fglrx_XXXXXXXX.deb”; Once complete, proceed to Step 6 Part “C”

C. Open a new terminal window and execute the command “sudo aticonfig --initial” then close the terminal window, and continue on to Step 6 Part “D”

D. Double-click and install the last package named
“fglrx-amdcccle_XXXXXXXX.deb”

NOTE: Although there were additional packages created, they are not necessary for the installation of the drivers and can be ignored.

Step 7: You may now reboot your computer and if everything went well you should have the drivers installed and running. To confirm this you can log-on and open a terminal window and execute the command “fglrxinfo” and you should receive an output similar to this:

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon Xpress Series
OpenGL version string: 2.1.8304 Release

NOTE: If you see any mention of the "MESA" in the output generated by the command above the drivers have not installed correctly.

!!You're finished!!

ALSO NOTE: The ATI Catalyst Control Center will be available for tweaking via
The “Applications” → “Accessories” menus.

Driver Uninstall Procedures:

Step 1: Open a Terminal window and navigate to the “/usr/share/ati” folder

Step2: Now execute the command as follows “sudo ./fglrx-uninstall.sh”

Step 3: The un-installation process is now finished and you may now close the terminal window and return to the top of the text and follow the installation instructions.
I'm lost. Can you explain for us newbies how this is simpler than downloading the relevant ATI drivers from the AMD website and installing with the built in installer?

Also I tried the 8.12 drivers (dec 10th build)with 8.04 Hardy and they won't run XBMC,. It just falls over every time you go in. Of course this may be due to my particular MOBO. (Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H - 780G)

8.11 worked ok for me.
Exclamation 
cosmograf Wrote:I'm lost. Can you explain for us newbies how this is simpler than downloading the relevant ATI drivers from the AMD website and installing with the built in installer?

Also I tried the 8.12 drivers (dec 10th build)with 8.04 Hardy and they won't run XBMC,. It just falls over every time you go in. Of course this may be due to my particular MOBO. (Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H - 780G)

8.11 worked ok for me.

I tried using that exact method that you mentioned, using just the installer from ATI but it simply would not work. it would kill my x-windows system after log-in, and all i would get is a white screen with my mouse curser. i am sorry if the directions are difficult to follow but i made it as clear as i could, and much more clear than anthing i was able to find on the net however i know the crappy formating makes it difficult to read and follow, hence the refrence to the version that i have in a propperly formatted word document. maybe if you install the 8.12 drivers using this method they will work, maybe not. so i supose this is a good time to provide the

disclaimer:
I know installing these drivers wasn’t easy for me so I hope this manual is able to clarify the installation process and help others overcome the same issues I had when attempting to install the newest ATI drivers on my Ubuntu notebook. This manual includes no warrantee, inferred or otherwise, and is provided “as is” with no guarantee of its contents working for installations other than my own. This method is a product of my own research and in no wise can I assure you it is the most efficient method for performing the installation of the drivers; However, It was the simplest way for me and I hope it will be of value to other users of Ubuntu and the various Linux distributions like it.

Peace,
Slice

P.S. I am a newbee, i've only been using Ubuntu for like 7 months and i still dont have the hang of it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO build and install the latest ATI drivers from scratch under Ubuntu0