Linux or Windows? Media Center to TV.
So I'm rolling out a Media Center + Seedbox to handle all my computer tasks, and maybe FINALLY use my laptop as an actual laptop haha. It's tethered with a mess of cables, being used as a desktop Sad

So, what OS would provide a better platform for using XBMC as the main media software? I thought I heard the XBMC Team was working more/harder on the Linux first, no idea if the Windows version has caught up.

Edit: On a side note, does the iPhone XBMC app work with non-xbox installs of XBMC? One of the iTunes Store reviews says it does not, and another does. Just don't want to waste $3. OR would it be better just to use the web interface?
I will migrate from Xbox to a PC based client soon aswell.

Only reason to use Windows in my opinion is if your hardware is not well enough or not at all supported by Linux.

Just my 2 cents.
joe_user Wrote:Only reason to use Windows in my opinion is if your hardware is not well enough or not at all supported by Linux.

I second that. In the end I gave up trying to deal with driver and other issues and went the Windows route. No problems so far.

I would recommend trying Linux on your target PC before bothering to get xbmc working on it.
frumpy_uk Wrote:I second that. In the end I gave up trying to deal with driver and other issues and went the Windows route. No problems so far.

Same here. Took the easy way and chose Windows. I'm satisfied so far.
similar experience for me as well. i made a thread a while back trying to figure out if i should switch or not, might be useful: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=41458
timdog82001 Wrote:similar experience for me as well. i made a thread a while back trying to figure out if i should switch or not, might be useful: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=41458

Sweet, thanks for that.

I know linux works on my desktop, so I think I'll hitup my other forums and get some Linux heads to help me choose a good distro and how to strip it down to only the basics I need.
If you use XBMC as your media center app (what I hope Big Grin) then use ubuntu, its the best supported distribution for XBMC...
TheCheeks Wrote:So I'm rolling out a Media Center + Seedbox to handle all my computer tasks, and maybe FINALLY use my laptop as an actual laptop haha. It's tethered with a mess of cables, being used as a desktop Sad

So, what OS would provide a better platform for using XBMC as the main media software? I thought I heard the XBMC Team was working more/harder on the Linux first, no idea if the Windows version has caught up.

Edit: On a side note, does the iPhone XBMC app work with non-xbox installs of XBMC? One of the iTunes Store reviews says it does not, and another does. Just don't want to waste $3. OR would it be better just to use the web interface?

If you mean this then yes it works on non-xbox plattforms. I´ve never owned a xbox so I tried it on xbmc for linux. All you need is to choose port 8080 and then it will work wonders, Can´t recall if I did ip:8080 or if there was a port configuration.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux or Windows? Media Center to TV.0