Intel ATOM 330 Dual-Core CPU experience with XBMC for Linux - perfect 720p playback
Thumbs Up 
Setup:

APEX MI-100 Black / Silver Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W
Intel BOXD945GCLF2 Atom 330 Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
ATI REMOTE WONDER USB (This works better with latest revision without LIRC)
WD GREEN EADS 1TB 7200RPM
LG DVD BURNER
Ubuntu 9.10 32bit ( XBMC SVN with Confluence ) / Windows XP SP 3

Known Issues:-
- Chipset fan is a bit noisy
- Case can get hot .. Recommend mounting 120MM case fan where the harddrive .. It is perfect fit .. Will get temperature 10 - 15C lower ..

First I would like thank XBMC for the wonderfull work they have done ..

I have been able to run XBMC without any major problems. I have tested 720P avi files and they played perfectly with it. 1080P had some minor audio and video sync issues. Hulu HD content played perfectly using Hulu Plugin.

Best thing of all it consumes less than 50W and it costs $150US to be put together ( excluding optical drive, harddrive, remote ) .. Big GrinBig Grin

I would be more than happy to test other things on it .. Wink

Update:

Looks like we can now now play 1080P content without any frame drops using VDPAU API and G98 PCI Addon Card ( Heat Sink is pretty big so might not fit in all itx case .. PNY might be better )

See posts here:-
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40362&page=25
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=348...stcount=59
CrashX Wrote:My Setup:-

Maxtor 120GB 7200 RPM
Ubuntu 8.10 64bit

I have been able to run XBMC without any major problems. I have tested 720P avi files and they played perfectly with it. 1080P had some minor audio and video sync issues. Hulu HD content except for x264 content played perfectly using Hulu Plugin. This is known issue with XBMC and hopefully in time it will be fixed.

Best thing of all it consumes less than 45W and it costs $150US to be put together ( excluding harddrive, remote ) .. Big GrinBig Grin

Have you tried h264 720p mkv videos? If it does that flawlessly I'll probably buy one too!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Give me link to sample and I will test it ..
1st with the inevitable request to play killa... LOL
Thumbs Up 
This might also interest folks http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-...,6769.html Pharonics did a test with this box too and it was playing BD quality H.264 using GPU decoding and NVIDIA's VDPAU drivers. Very nice...

I have just taken delivery of one of the cheap MSI boxes that has an ATOM in it. Single core and only a VGA out on it but a neat box - sorry no chance of my trying XBMC on it but a neat cheap box nevertheless. It runs off of a wal wart transformer and has no fans on the board just a single 80mm exhaust.

I for one would love to be able to use boxes like the ION or the one the parent here has described for 1080 rips under XBMC. If GPU accel ever comes along for us I think it will be VERY possible!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
It doesn't look ION will get into the market if it wants to use ATOM ..

Quote:Interestingly, it doesn’t look like the company is going to be getting Atom chips from Intel, which wants to sell the lightweight CPU with its 945GC clunker of a platform instead, though Intel has denied in the past that it would refrain from selling the chips on its own.
CrashX Wrote:Give me link to sample and I will test it ..

Try some of the videos posted here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33645
When ION was first reviewed Intel supposedly said ATOMS would only be sold with their chipset. Once that hit the fan and people screamed Intel backpeddled and said that wasn't what they meant and that ATOMS could be gotten sans chipset. NVIDA is only looking to supply parts, other manufacturers need to build them so we'll see. Personally I want a netbook with that NVIDIA chipset in it...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Here are some results from sampes here http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/h...page1.html :-

Tested using XBMC...

* 720p Trailer :- played perfectly at 24FPS constant ..
* 1080p Trailer :- New (121 MB) :- was going from 15 to 25 FPS ... but it was watchable .. minor skipping ..
* Killa Sample :- FPS was 9 to 13 ... Wow so much birds ...
CrashX Wrote:My Setup:-

Maxtor 120GB 7200 RPM
Ubuntu 8.10 64bit

I have been able to run XBMC without any major problems. I have tested 720P avi files and they played perfectly with it. 1080P had some minor audio and video sync issues. Hulu HD content except for x264 content played perfectly using Hulu Plugin. This is known issue with XBMC and hopefully in time it will be fixed.

Best thing of all it consumes less than 45W and it costs $150US to be put together ( excluding harddrive, remote ) .. Big GrinBig Grin

hi, i've the same system as yours and i'm trying to setup my xbmc but i've a problem with the cpu usage... it uses 300% of cpu also in the main menu, i've tested it using fedora 10 and also using the xbmc live distro, how did u solved it? i think could be a xorg configuration problem... can u help me?
I didn't really have to tweak anything different to get it working on Ubuntu 8.10 64bit other than Bios Update ...

As always I build XBMC from SVN ... Did you try building from SVN ?
Nice that they´ve added s-video on the thing, this looks like it could be a great XBMC Live capable computer that will do SD -> 720p. A real xbox killer Wink
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Shuttle X27D might work quite nice if it has SPDIF header....haven't found that answer yet. While it doesn't have HDMI, it does have DVI.
Are there any Atoms with NVIDIA GPUs available?
CrashX Wrote:I didn't really have to tweak anything different to get it working on Ubuntu 8.10 64bit other than Bios Update ...

As always I build XBMC from SVN ... Did you try building from SVN ?

i've update the bios 2 days ago, and i've build it from SVN the only difference is that i used 32bit fc10 and also i think that the live cd is 32bit so i'll try with a 64bit distribution as you, thank's
bye

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel ATOM 330 Dual-Core CPU experience with XBMC for Linux - perfect 720p playback0