Streaming with XBMC possible?
I am searching for a simple solution to access multimedia files on my home server (linux or windows) with other machines. I don't have XBMC installed yet, I just wanted to know if it is possible to configure XBMC to:
* Let me watch DVDs/video files via lan on other machines. The server does not has a screen.
And:
* Let me play and control music playback from other machines. The server is connected to a hifi system and shall not stream the music.
Media Player Daemon would be an alternative to use here, so the last one is not that important.

Thank you very much, XBMC looks like a really great project!
Regards,
Dennis
I'm not sure I understand the question, but if you're saying that you have movies and music on a file server and you want to play it with other PCs then yes it's trivial, just share it on the server and add it as a source in XBMC. I don't have a single video or audio file on my HTPC, it's all on a file server.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
xardias Wrote:I am searching for a simple solution to access multimedia files on my home server (linux or windows) with other machines. I don't have XBMC installed yet, I just wanted to know if it is possible to configure XBMC to:
* Let me watch DVDs/video files via lan on other machines. The server does not has a screen.
And:
* Let me play and control music playback from other machines. The server is connected to a hifi system and shall not stream the music.
Media Player Daemon would be an alternative to use here, so the last one is not that important.

Thank you very much, XBMC looks like a really great project!
Regards,
Dennis

Install XBMC on your server connected to your HiFi

Control XBMC via the web interface for your music control.

Install XBMC on your client machine and attach the share from your server that contain the media content. Then you should be able to watch the content and have a nice UI on your client machine.
thejipster Wrote:Install XBMC on your client machine and attach the share from your server that contain the media content. Then you should be able to watch the content and have a nice UI on your client machine.

Also if you use XBMC for linux on both you could have PulseAudio running on Server and point the client to the server for audio output and you don't even need to change the plugs to the HiFi. http://xbmc.org/topfs2/2009/01/09/pulsea...for-linux/

Although you would need XBMC from svn to do that

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Thank you very much for your responses! I will install xbmc this weekend!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming with XBMC possible?0