Display message when DVDCSS support unavailable
Already opened up a ticket for this.
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5647

The feature request would be, when DVDCSS support is unavailable, a message is displayed in xbmc sort of like how it's done in kaffeine using xine. Currently, xbmc tries to play the DVD anyway.

I have a partial patch that I think leads in the right direction. Just have to implement the actual message.

Would like some help with this. Would using GUIDialogOK be the best approach in this situation.
Lightbulb 
What I think would be a really nice addition here would be if XBMC's DVDPlayer or FFmpeg itself could somehow without using libdvdcss detected if a DVD-Video VOB stream is encrypted with CSS or not. That way XBMC's DVDPlayer could on detection of a an CSS encrypted DVD-Video movie halt playback directly and XBMC GUI could pop-up a message informing the end-user that:

"This version of XBMC can not playback this media because it is encrypted with a DRM (Digital Right Management) scheme"

This message could then possible also be reused for the 'non-playback' of other DRM encryption schemes in other video and audio file types as well.

Also as I posted here => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43305
Gamester17 Wrote:Would it be possible to make libdvdcss modular and have it dynamically loaded only on-demand?

I was thinking about this and I was wondering if it is possible to make the libdvdcss code modular, (perhaps into its own DLL dynamic link library, called "libdvdcss.dll" in this example), so that even if XBMC has been compiled at configure without libdvdcss the end-user could still manually copy the libdvdcss.dll binary file from a other instance of XBMC where he libdvdcss code has been compiled at configure into the correct directory, and then XBMC would have been made to automatically detect if libdvdcss.dll binary is available or not.

This way someone could write a python script for XBMC that downloads the libdvdcss.dll binary file from a location the internet and copies it to the right XBMC directory.

By doing it like that or something similar users of Linux distributions such as Debian (who blacklisted libdvdcss) could install a pre-packaged XBMC from Debian (that would comes without libdvdcss.dll) and still be able to in a very simple way as DeCSS functionality to XBMC by simply running a python script.

PS! Note that this idea also relates to the feature request posted in http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5647 which suggest displaying a information message in the GUI when DVDCSS support unavailable when an XBMC end-users tries to play a DVD-Video movie which is encrypted with CSS.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Display message when DVDCSS support unavailable0