• 2(current)
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread
Thanks for tracking this down further. moby-uk's patch for the external player is now included in SVN, as of r17023.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

This is working great for me as well with video but my zoomplayer is not being launched for DVDs. Is there another tag I should be using in the xml to indicate DVDs should use the externalplayer as well?
jmarshall Wrote:Thanks for tracking this down further. moby-uk's patch for the external player is now included in SVN, as of r17023.

This is very sad to see that leed developer accepted a work around for minor problem (just get external player feature working) ignoring main issue with XBMC focus (Alt+Tab).
That work around is not needed once Alt+Tab issue is resolved.
Prove it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

igsolt Wrote:This is very sad to see that leed developer accepted a work around for minor problem (just get external player feature working) ignoring main issue with XBMC focus (Alt+Tab).
That work around is not needed once Alt+Tab issue is resolved.

you know whats sad ? you, sitting on your fat ass bitching about things.
Next time you program a patch that fixes both external player issues. (yes, learn to read) and solves the alt+tab issue. go troll someplace else.
First post updated to reflect improvements done that are now in the SVN, so any build done after Rev17023 has this included (Rev17031 has been upped already)
jmarshall Wrote:Prove it.
Hi. Notwithstanding igsolt "attitude" (there, I did it again Big Grin), it's been proved already in this thread.

Going back to before the Intel patch, the alt tabbing worked perfectly. And this is indeed a workaround (or at least this is how it seems; if I'm wrong, sorry).

Leaving aside external player which devs don't care about (it's their right to care about whatever they damn want Nod, even if it hurts our feelings Smile), having an application you can't alt-tab out of is not proper behaviour. I often use my web browser from the couch (FF zoom is really neat for this), with XBMC running it's impossible.

I stress once more, this has nothing to do with the external player function. To fix something (intel problems) something else got broken (focus stuff). From the testing that happened in this thread this is how it seems and, to be honest, the recommended graphic controller, according to the Wiki, it's Nvidia, not Intel (and I'm not just bitching about this, I built my HTPC in 2007, specifically for XBMC; I imagine not being alone in this).
LehighBri Wrote:This is working great for me as well with video but my zoomplayer is not being launched for DVDs. Is there another tag I should be using in the xml to indicate DVDs should use the externalplayer as well?

Nope, IIRC DVDs (& some? streams) are always played with DVDPlayer.
As I said in my first post I knocked this together as a quick workaround for me and I hijacked the "forceontop" flag when I did this. I wasn't expecting this to make it into SVN but given that it has I guess I should probably go back and add an extra "hidexbmc" flag in case there are people out there for whom the "forceontop" flag was enough - I'm sure they won't appreciate that it now hides the XBMC window.
moby-uk Wrote:As I said in my first post I knocked this together as a quick workaround for me and I hijacked the "forceontop" flag when I did this. I wasn't expecting this to make it into SVN but given that it has I guess I should probably go back and add an extra "hidexbmc" flag in case there are people out there for whom the "forceontop" flag was enough - I'm sure they won't appreciate that it now hides the XBMC window.

makes sense to me, go for it Smile
Jester, I just installed your XBMCSetup-Rev17031-jester.exe, but the externalplayer doesn't seem to work (just plays in XBMC, nothing pops up). Shouldn't the externalplayer be in the SVN from 17023 as standard? Worked fine with Rev17015-jester-ext.exe. Maybe I am confusing things...
sizanx Wrote:Jester, I just installed your XBMCSetup-Rev17031-jester.exe, but the externalplayer doesn't seem to work (just plays in XBMC, nothing pops up). Shouldn't the externalplayer be in the SVN from 17023 as standard? Worked fine with Rev17015-jester-ext.exe. Maybe I am confusing things...

weird, should work as the 17015 i did was basically the patch applied manually that got later put into SVN....

just make sure that you have forceontop set to true
well I have:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<video>
  <defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
  <filename>c:\Program Files\Media Player Classic HC\mplayerc.exe</filename>
  <args>/fullscreen</args>
  <forceontop>true</forceontop>
  <hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
  <hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
<videolibrary>
    <hideallitems>true</hideallitems>
    <cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
moby-uk Wrote:As I said in my first post I knocked this together as a quick workaround for me and I hijacked the "forceontop" flag when I did this. I wasn't expecting this to make it into SVN but given that it has I guess I should probably go back and add an extra "hidexbmc" flag in case there are people out there for whom the "forceontop" flag was enough - I'm sure they won't appreciate that it now hides the XBMC window.
Hi! I don't understand the difference in what you intend to implement compared to the current implementation. Could you clarify?

And thanks for your great work (Jester, konfoo, all of you!), yesterday I went to sleep at 4 in the morning after setting up EventGhost with my remote. Now I can ditch MediaPortal once and for all.

Regarding the "watched" flag, Jester, I think the behaviour (not refreshing until you exit and go back the the library view) depends on XBMC being "frozen" while the external player is working. I don't know if there could be a way to "wake it up" before, maybe with an EventGhost script or something.
ashlar Wrote:Hi! I don't understand the difference in what you intend to implement compared to the current implementation. Could you clarify?

I meant that the forceontop flag had a particular meaning; I hijacked it to do something else which some may not need and may (hopefully) be a short-term workaround. With that in mind it would be better to have

Code:
<externalplayer>
  <filename>c:\applications\mplayer\mplayer.exe</filename>
  <args>-fs</args>
  <forceontop>false</forceontop>
  <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
  <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
  <hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread11